New 60 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Danielle226, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Danielle226New MemberMember

Hi everyone. New to FishLore and hoping you can give me some advice. We've had a 13 gallon tank for about a year now, but when we set it up, we didn't really know what we were doing. Definitely had no knowledge of the nitrogen cycle. So obviously wondered why fish kept dying. Well we decided we wanted a larger tank. So on 8/1 we bought a 60 gallon. Still with no knowledge of cycling. On 8/2 we filled it with decorations and water, using API Quick Start and Tap Water Conditioner. On 8/3 we added live plants. And on 8/4 we bought 6 scissortail rasboras and a blue lobster. Everyone is still alive as of now. But I decided I wanted to make sure we did things right this time, so started researching and learned of cycling. Now I know that we didn't do things quite like we should have, but we tend to be impatient, and it was sad looking at an empty tank.

I tested the water a few hours ago and these were the results:
    7.4 pH
    ammonia 0.0
    nitrites 0.0
    nitrates 0.0

So my question is, how should we proceed? How often should I test the water? Should I be doing water changes? Etc, Etc.....

2. Kindafishy

KindafishyValued MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore. You've come to a wonderful place for solid information.

It's possible that the tap water may not allow the Quick Start to get a good hold, from a bacterial point of view, and you may end up with more dead fish as the cycle happens. I would recommend getting some Tetra Safestart (one of the most preferred beneficial bacteria starters here) and add that ASAP. I'm not familiar with how hardy the rasboras are, but the lobster may be in trouble. Inverts tend to be sensitive to water conditions.

Usually, you add the water and conditioner on day 1. Then after 24 hours, add the bacteria starter and the fish. Once you have the bacteria there, you need to just let it do it's thing for 2 weeks.

If you are using the API Master test kit to measure your parameters, that's great. If you're using the sticks, it would be best to switch to the master kit and start checking the readings after 2 weeks.

Try to feed lightly to help keep excess nitrogen to a minimum.

Good luck!

3. Theman1

Theman1Valued MemberMember

What type of test kit are you using? I would get an api master test kit. Everyone on this forum will suggest that to you. Test strips tend to be inaccurate. I would test your water daily or every other day depending on what water conditioner you use and never let the ammonia get over .25 ppm. The first time I cycled my tank with fish it took about two months and lots and lots of water changes.

I would also invest in a water conditioner called prime. This is another product everyone on the forum uses. It actually will bind the ammonia for 24 hours. Now when you test your water you have to wait 24 hours because the prime will mess with your results.

Just do lots and lots of research on the nitrogen cycle and completely understand it. If you have any questions just let us know. Everyone here is obviously fish obsessed and would love to help you.;)

4. TheCoolFish

TheCoolFishValued MemberMember

Even with the quick start I would wait a week to help get the nitrogen cycle going

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    D

Danielle226New MemberMember

Yes, the API Master kit is what I'm using.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice