New 60 Gallon Tall.

Ronoc94
Sorry to hear! The parameters are suggesting that the tank is still going through the cycle, I don't even see any nitrates. 1.0ppm of ammonia, as well as the nitrites, are lethal, but the TBs and EBA are definitely more hardier than the cories.
Its been a long time I figured it would have been cycled already. How long do you figure before its 100% done cycling? Its been filldd since april 10th.

What did you do to cycle your tank before you added the 10 Corys? I might have missed a post but it looks like you had the tank full of water on April 10th and by April 28th you said the Corys had been in there for about a week. Did you use a quick start bacteria?
I did nothing to cycle my tank. Iv heard corys are hardy enough to survive a non fully cycled tank so I put them in.

Keith83
I did nothing to cycle my tank. Iv heard corys are hardy enough to survive a non fully cycled tank so I put them in.
Well whoever told you that killed your fish.

Ronoc94
Keith83
Thanks Keith
That was directed to the people who told you that. I'm sure they meant well but they didn't advise you right. Keep reading this forum. It will save your fish.

Five 97
Just filling a tank and letting sit won't cycle it. You'll need to grow a full colony of beneficial bacteria (BB) in your filter media, which takes time. Especially without kickstarting it with established media or bacteria boosters. BB need a source of ammonia in order to establish a colony, in fish-in cycling, this is the fish poop. With fishless cycling, you'll actually need to add in ammonia to make up for the absence of fish poop in the form of pure ammonia or regularly dropping in fish food.

Take a look here - Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

Ronoc94
Just filling a tank and letting sit won't cycle it. You'll need to grow a full colony of beneficial bacteria (BB) in your filter media, which takes time. Especially without kickstarting it with established media or bacteria boosters. BB need a source of ammonia in order to establish a colony, in fish-in cycling, this is the fish poop. With fishless cycling, you'll actually need to add in ammonia to make up for the absence of fish poop in the form of pure ammonia or regularly dropping in fish food.

Take a look here - Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle
Thanks a lot.

Would you recommend taking a couple pieces of the bio media I have in my established 20 gallon filter and adding it to the 60 gallons filter? Theyre both fluval U series filters.

That was directed to the people who told you that. I'm sure they meant well but they didn't advise you right. Keep reading this forum. It will save your fish.
Iv been on this forum for about a year now. I get my best advice from this forum its amazing. I see how my last comment may have come across as sarcastic but I genuinly ment nothing of the sort.

Do you by chance thing adding some of my bio media from my 20 gallon filter( been established for a year now) in my 60 gallin filter? Both are fluval U series filters.

Keith83
Iv been on this forum for about a year now. I get my best advice from this forum its amazing. I see how my last comment may have come across as sarcastic but I genuinly ment nothing of the sort.

Do you by chance thing adding some of my bio media from my 20 gallon filter( been established for a year now) in my 60 gallin filter? Both are fluval U series filters.
Yes that would help.

Ronoc94
Yes that would help.
So iv transferred some of the bio media from my established tank to the 60 gallonfilter. Would you recommend the daily 30% water changes still or is that overkill? Also how much longer should I be expecting this cycle to take?

Keith83
I would. Keep testing your water and post us the results

Ronoc94
I would. Keep testing your water and post us the results
I tested first thing thismorning and this is the darkest its ever been

1526915832696.jpg

Also now one of my blue acaras is hiding behind the filter

Keith83
OMG, what was the ammonia in the tank you took the media from? Your fish shouldn't be living. Are you sure you're testing correctly? If that's accurate you need to do a massive water change now. Then test again

Ronoc94
OMG, what was the ammonia in the tank you took the media from? Your fish shouldn't be living. Are you sure you're testing correctly? If that's accurate you need to do a massive water change now. Then test again
There was zero traces of ammonia in my 20gallon. I just finished doing a 50% change now I'm going to refill and double check that I am testing correctly

Keith83
Don't forget to dechlorinate.

Ronoc94
I always make sure too

So after two 50% water changes. And cleaning out the filter. The results are still the same. Iv been using apI ammolock (removes toxins from ammonia) so that's why theyve been able to stay alive. But I t isent helping my problem which I thought it would. It seems since iv started using it, the ammonia slowly gets stronger over time.

I'm going to buy some apI quick start tomorow on my way home from work and if that doesn't work I honestly don't have a clue how to take care of this issue.

Keith83
I'm wondering if all the ammlock is throwing off the test results.

Ronoc94
I'm wondering if all the ammlock is throwing off the test results.
Iv been dosing 30ml every two days which are the correct measurements recommended. Maybe I should lay off it for a couple of days and see if the results differ?

Keith83
I wouldn't do that, I was just wondering if it could cause the readings to go sky high. Since your fish are living with you using it, I wouldn't stop. Maybe contact customer service and ask them.

Ronoc94
I wouldn't do that, I was just wondering if it could cause the readings to go sky high. Since your fish are living with you using it, I wouldn't stop. Maybe contact customer service and ask them.
I created a new thread stricly for ammolock questions. If someone can't answer by today I'm going to call customer service.

Ronoc94
So its been a few months since I posted on this thread,

Currently I have 2 blue acaras
Firemouth
15 tigerbarbs (going to get 5 more)
10 cory catfish
And two nerite snails.

My water parameters are all good and my anubias is doing well also. Planning on getting some larger plants to hide some of the wires and airlines.

If anyone has any recommendations for plants that my cichilids won't ripp out I'm open to suggestions. Thanks

Heres a couple photos
IMG_20181012_125709_815.jpg
IMG_20180701_194722.jpg
20180623_100604.jpg
20180623_100552.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Stephen Hiatt
Replies
Views
BichirKeeper84