New 60 Gallon Tall.

Ronoc94
So I'm getting a 60 gallon tall aquarium and I have my eyes on blue acaras and fire mouths. Iv heard 2 firemouths would be fine in a 60 gallon but I'm not too sure about blue acaras.

I'm also planning on getting a rainbow shark and a school of tiger barbs in there. Any other ideas for stock or am I already getting over stocked?

Coradee
Giving this a bump up for you

Ronoc94
Giving this a bump up for you
Thankyou, I appriciate it

Also, would I be able to keep two firemouths and a blue acara in a 60 gallon tall or naah?

Five 97
Is this a standard 60 gallon(48L x 12W x 23H)? Electric blue acara or regular blue acara? Both should be fine either way. Were you thinking two firemouths as in a pair?

Ronoc94
Is this a standard 60 gallon(48L x 12W x 23H)? Electric blue acara or regular blue acara? Both should be fine either way. Were you thinking two firemouths as in a pair?

Yes those are the measurements.

I was thinking either a pair of blue acaras, or a pair of firemouths and a single blue acara.

I'm also planning on having a school of tiger barbs and a rainbow shark.

Five 97
Intensity varies from individuals, but rainbow sharks get very aggressive as they mature. They'll constantly harass anything that comes into their territory (which could very well be the entire tank), including the firemouths and TBs; not sure about the BA, haven't kept those together, but I would expect a similar outcome. I'd advise against doing one of those.

Ronoc94
Intensity varies from individuals, but rainbow sharks get very aggressive as they mature. They'll constantly harass anything that comes into their territory (which could very well be the entire tank), including the firemouths and TBs; not sure about the BA, haven't kept those together, but I would expect a similar outcome. I'd advise against doing one of those.
And what about red tip sharks?

Do you think a pair of blue acaras and a school of tiger barbs would be alright in the tank? If I don't get a shark id like some other type of bottom feeder preferably not corys.

Five 97
And what about red tip sharks?

Do you think a pair of blue acaras and a school of tiger barbs would be alright in the tank? If I don't get a shark id like some other type of bottom feeder preferably not corys.
No, I would say the same for red-tailed sharks. Otherwise, the rest sounds fine. What about a bristlenose pleco for a bottom feeder, they're not always on the ground, but that's where they mostly stay.

What about this for numbers?

1x Blue acara
2x Firemouth
15-20x Tiger barbs
1x Bristlenose pleco

Or switch around the cichlids and do 2x BAs & 1x FM.

Ronoc94
No, I would say the same for red-tailed sharks. Otherwise, the rest sounds fine. What about a bristlenose pleco for a bottom feeder, they're not always on the ground, but that's where they mostly stay.
Actually id rather not have a plecco I think id like to have a couple snails in there.

So how about this;

Two blue acaras OR firemouths
A school of 16 tigerbarbs
A school of brown corys
And a couple snails and shrimp.

Does that sound alright? And how many corys would you recommend in the school.

This tank is also going to be heavily decorated with hides and live plants.

What about this for numbers?

1x Blue acara
2x Firemouth
15-20x Tiger barbs
1x Bristlenose pleco

Or switch around the cichlids and do 2x BAs & 1x FM.
Actually could I replace the plecco with a school of corys?

Five 97
Actually could I replace the plecco with a school of corys?
They may work, but my experience with TBs and corys overall wasn't very "peaceful". If you decide to go with them, I'd 8-10 bronze corys (aeneus).

Ronoc94
Yes, you could do a school of bronze (aeneus) cories instead. I'd do a school of 8-10.
So I'm thinking
1 blue acara
2 firemouths male and female
10 corys
18 tigerbarbs
And two snails?

Also should I try to introduce them all as juveniles?

Five 97
So I'm thinking
1 blue acara
2 firemouths male and female
10 corys
18 tigerbarbs
And two snails?

Also should I try to introduce them all as juveniles?
Yes, that stocking list looks good. Introducing them as juvies wouldn't be necessary, but it would be good if you could manage it. I edited my previous post, mentioning that my previous experiences mixing TBs and corys weren't good overall, but it's worth a try. I'd go with 8-10 bronze cories.

Ronoc94
Yes, that stocking list looks good. Introducing them as juvies wouldn't be necessary, but it would be good if you could manage it. I edited my previous post, mentioning that my previous experiences mixing TBs and corys weren't good overall, but it's worth a try. I'd go with 8-10 bronze cories.
Thanks a lot man youve been an excellent help!

I'm gunna try it, my tank is 2 feet tall so there's tons of top and middle level for the barbs and the corys will have the fm and the acara to protect them along the bottom.

Five 97
Thanks a lot man youve been an excellent help!

I'm gunna try it, my tank is 2 feet tall so there's tons of top and middle level for the barbs and the corys will have the fm and the acara to protect them along the bottom.
NP! Make sure to go with bronze (aeneus) cories. The FM and BA won't protect the cories, but I think I know what you're mean there.

Ronoc94
NP! Make sure to go with bronze (aeneus) cories. The FM and BA won't protect the cories, but I think I know what you're mean there.
Yea the sight of them will hopfully ward the TB's away.

Dont suppose you know any plants that the tigerbarbs would enjoy and the firemouths/acara would appriciate?

Five 97
Dont suppose you know any plants that the tigerbarbs would enjoy and the firemouths/acara would appriciate?
Java fern and anubias are hardy and easy to care for. They can be tied to pices of driftwood or planted with the rhizome above the substrate.
BA only seem to bother plants when they exhibit breeding behavior, but the FM may have its own ideas about where the plants should be.

Swords and easy stem plants should be fine as well, but as mentioned above, if anybody uproots and moves them around, you may have to replant them in a new location.

Ronoc94
Java fern and anubias are hardy and easy to care for. They can be tied to pices of driftwood or planted with the rhizome above the substrate.
BA only seem to bother plants when they exhibit breeding behavior, but the FM may have its own ideas about where the plants should be.

Swords and easy stem plants should be fine as well, but as mentioned above, if anybody uproots and moves them around, you may have to replant them in a new location.
Gotcha man.
This is what the tank is looking like so far.
Planning on putting some plants in before the weekend.

545068058.jpg

Five 97
Gotcha man.
This is what the tank is looking like so far.
Planning on putting some plants in before the weekend.
View attachment 428125
If the FMs spawn at some point, the BA should be able to hold its own, but additional decor and such to break the lines of sight in the tank would help.

I would put more obstructions in there.

Ronoc94
If the FMs spawn at some point, the BA should be able to hold its own, but additional decor and such to break the lines of sight in the tank would help.

I would put more obstructions in there.
I'm planning in putting in a few rocks here and there l, and plants all along the back and a few bigger ones in the two back corners

Five 97
Sounds good!

Ronoc94
Sounds good!
Also, sorry one more thing. I have these high powered led lights. Will they help with the growth of the easy low tech plants or do I need a flourescent.

Five 97
Also, sorry one more thing. I have these high powered led lights. Will they help with the growth of the easy low tech plants or do I need a flourescent.
I have 6000k - 8000k LEDs that grow plants just fine. What's the brand you have?

Ronoc94
They came with my aquarium. Its a marineland brand. I have the box that the lights came I'm and it just says LED lights.

Heres a picture.
1523394669455.jpg

Nataku
Get some height in your plants/decorations in that tank. That will help with breaking line of sight and territories.
Jungle valisneria is great for this. Grows quick, gets nice long leaves. Tiger barbs love skimming through them.
Some nice big amazon swords would be good too. Provides ground cover for the corydoras to retreat back to if they need to.
You could also get some driftwood and tie java fern to it. Another good way to get more green higher up in the tank.

Five 97
They came with my aquarium. Its a marineland brand. I have the box that the lights came I'm and it just says LED lights.

Heres a picture. View attachment 428206
Okay, I'm not sure if they will work, but it's worth a try, since the plants I mentioned are pretty lowlight and undemanding. I'd also be careful about how long you leave the lights on as too much light can cause algae issues, mine are on for about 7-8hours a day.

Ronoc94
Okay, I'm not sure if they will work, but it's worth a try, since the plants I mentioned are pretty lowlight and undemanding. I'd also be careful about how long you leave the lights on as too much light can cause algae issues, mine are on for about 7-8hours a day.
It has the blue lights for nighttime. Does that help at all or will it do the same amount of algae damage?

Five 97
It has the blue lights for nighttime. Does that help at all or will it do the same amount of algae damage?
I don't believe the (moonlights) blue lights are strong enough to trigger photosynthesis, but yes, it'll probably create more algae build up if left on during the night.

I've kept a 60 gallonbefore, and their uncomfortably tall, so I doubt just any clip LEDs that came in a kit would work in such a high tank.

I personally use finnex and chihiros light fixtures on most of my tanks, but these things are pretty pricey.

There are many different DIY light fixture options as well, maybe start a new thread specially on your lighting?

Ronoc94
I don't believe the (moonlights) blue lights are strong enough to trigger photosynthesis, but yes, it'll probably create more algae build up if left on during the night.
Right on. Thanks a load mate youve been a huge help! Ill upload another photo when I get the plants and then the fish.

Cheers.

Ronoc94
So iv got my ten large bronze corys in the tank for about a week now, and I added ten tigerbarbs today. I'm planning in adding another ten next week with the blue acara.

Also getting a large cichild hut to put in between the two rocks.

Iv also planted a java fern and anchored an anubis plant

Heres a picture
1524961086111.jpg

Five 97
Looks nice! Keep posting pics.

Ronoc94
Thanks and I will.

The cannon I have moves up and releases bubbles ever 5 seconds or so. I don't suppose you're aware of anything that I could use to slow down the release time?

Five 97
Thanks and I will.

The cannon I have moves up and releases bubbles ever 5 seconds or so. I don't suppose you're aware of anything that I could use to slow down the release time?
You could attach a control valve to the airline tubing to adjust the amount of bubbles released, if you tightened it enough, you could also slow down the bubble release - they're commonly available at fish/pet stores.

Ronoc94
So one of my tiger barbs are not doing to well. Iv already lost one since last saturday when I got them. But this guy is the smallest of the school and he tends to stay near the surface/filter while the rest of the school goes about their business. Just wondering if there's anything I should be concerned about? Heres a couple photos of the little guy. Hes the significantly smaller one.
20180503_073333.jpg
20180503_073323.jpg

Five 97
He definitely looks thin and sickly, how do his feces look? Have you checked your water parameters?

Ronoc94
His poop looks thin and thismorning he started swimming sideways. I haven't had a chance to check the water. I got paid yesterday so I'm planning on picking up the 4 in 1 test kit. Ill be checking it later on today.

His poop looks thin and thismorning he started swimming sideways. I haven't had a chance to check the water. I got paid yesterday so I'm planning on picking up the 4 in 1 test kit. Ill be checking it later on today.
The Ph is 7.3. The temperature is kept at 79. And they're no traces of ammonia in the tank. Although I have noticed one of the corys has cloud eyes.

Ronoc94
Nvm I had an ammonia spike.

I have 3 corys left from the 10 I purchased....

Five 97
Sorry for your loss! Apologies for the late reply.... how is the tiger barb doing? Judging from the pic, it could likely be internal parasites. If you had an ammonia spike, I would closely monitor all of your parameters and perform water changes if any amount of ammonia appears. Also, prime will detoxify ammonia and nitrite for 24 hours, if you have that product on hand, I would double dose it when you see traces of ammonia or nitrite. Do you know what your nitrite and nitrate levels are?

Ronoc94
Sorry for your loss! Apologies for the late reply.... how is the tiger barb doing? Judging from the pic, it could likely be internal parasites. If you had an ammonia spike, I would closely monitor all of your parameters and perform water changes if any amount of ammonia appears. Also, prime will detoxify ammonia and nitrite for 24 hours, if you have that product on hand, I would double dose it when you see traces of ammonia or nitrite. Do you know what your nitrite and nitrate levels are?
No worries. I have 8 of the 10 tigers left and iv had the blue acaras for a week now. I also added a snail last night.

Iv had a reading of 1.0 ppm ammonia for a week now. Iv been dosing ammo lock every other day since sunday last week. Iv seen no difference so I started doing a 20-30% water chance everyday since thursday. I tested for ammonia 30mins ago and it still reads the same.

My nitrites are .35ppm
nitrates are 0.
Ph is 7.2

Five 97
Sorry to hear! The parameters are suggesting that the tank is still going through the cycle, I don't even see any nitrates. 1.0ppm of ammonia, as well as the nitrites, are lethal, but the TBs and EBA are definitely more hardier than the cories.

Keith83
What did you do to cycle your tank before you added the 10 Corys? I might have missed a post but it looks like you had the tank full of water on April 10th and by April 28th you said the Corys had been in there for about a week. Did you use a quick start bacteria?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Stephen Hiatt
Replies
Views
BichirKeeper84
Replies
Views
HUGEPurplePuppy
Replies
Views