New 5gal.

raptors_4

Reaction score
My moms friend gave me her old tank. Its still in the process of cycling but I don't know what kind of fish I'm going to put in it. I was thinking some kind of tetra but wouldn't mind a livebearer either. I know most tetras need to be in schools so I might have trouble finding suitable ones for a 5gal.. Any suggestions?

dazzler

Reaction score
well raptors, I am slowly becoming a fan of the betta, I am sure he would love a 5 gallon tank to call his own!!! if you put the right stuff (decorations and plants) it would look stunning. they are amazingly curious fish with a great personality too! and best of all you would be saving one from the jar(no doubt) that he currently lives in at the lfs.

a 5 gallon really limits you on what you would put in there. this is however just a idea many more ideas will flow soon from other members

regards Dazzler

OP
R

raptors_4

Reaction score
Yea I do like bettas as well but I already have one.

jj

Reaction score
I have had 5 Danios in a slightly smaller one along with 1 Goldfish for a couple of years. No probs if your filter is good.
Fish just play together all day.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Danios like temperatures of 76-78 and goldfish more around 68 so technically they shouldn't be kept together, though they may live they won't thrive. Also danios are highly active fish and need 20 or so gallons to swim in. Stick to few fish to keep it easy maintence.

JMatt1983

Reaction score
with a 5G tank, you're really limited as to how many fish, and what size of fish you can have in it, but if you like tetras, a school of cardinal tetras or neons would look really good in that tank as they are a very small fish (1 inch I think) and they don't have a lot of mass, so you could maybe get away with 5 or 6 of them

lolagurl

Reaction score
I think it is risky putting fish like guppies, or a mollie in there. but I have a friend and one family member who both were able to raised 2 mollies in a four gallon tank, for 4 years! and my friend had two guppies in a three gallon tank, its just your really risking it, I find if you only puy one fish in a smaller tank it has a better chance. It has the whole tank as its own space, but remember when your piking a fish that you know how big it will be when it is a adult.

New Threads