New 55gal with bubbles? & other questions

Icicle

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
I recently upgraded from a 29 gallon to a 55 gallon. I cycled the tank properly and the fish have been in it now about a week. I've been watching them carefully. However, I've noticed that the surface of this new bigger tank is getting a lot of little white bubbles. It's in the corners and along the edges. I can't seem to figure out what it is, if it is 'normal' or if I should be concerned. I didn't have it in the 29 gallon tank. Any Help would be sincerely appreciated!

Also I have a couple other questions if it isn't a bother and you know the answers:

- Does anyone know of a sinking food supplement? I bought some freeze dried brine shrimp pellets but they don't sink so they don't get touched.

I bought a 5 gal hexagon tank with filter and light for my office at work. It's cycling now. I used gravel from my 29 gallon to help speed up the process. From researching though, the only list of acceptable fish I can find for this tank are cherry barbs, zebra danios or maybe one betta or one goldfish. Hmmm... Any other suggestions? I'm just worried because I live in a place not readily accessible to a lot of acquarium supplies, including fish. Actually, I'm about 700kms from a big city, so whatever the place has is what I can get....

Agh, I have SO many questions but I will start with those. Thanks for your patience with me! I really appreciate it!

whitewavemoon

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you have a HOB (hang on back) filter that breaks the current when the water returns? My 75 gallon has lots of bubbles around the top from the current of the filter. I'm not sure if this is what you are experiencing though. I know my 5 gallon quarantine tank doesn't make bubbles like that.
Some sinking foods...algae/spirulina discs, shrimp pellets (mine are just shrimp pellets, not freeze dried brine, and they sink right to the bottom)....there are several different kinds of sinking foods. Most will probably say on the label if they are supposed to sink. Some need to soften before they will sink....
Hmmm....5 gallons can be hard to stock. ??? I wouldn't put danios in there, just because they like a lot of room to swim. That's just my personal preference though. Maybe a betta? That's a tough one....
I guess I haven't been much help, sorry. :-\

dazzler

Reaction score
good afternoon icicle, go online to Big Als they have a lot of stuff you can get delivered to you. hold on,you use the metric system what country you in??? (700kms) its best to go online for a lot of product I do believe you can also get live fish delivered in that way too (depending on what country you live in).  also they gravel you took to your office from your 29 gallon did you keep it wet bacteria won't live if the gravel goes dry and "I think " it only last about half an hour when out of the tank anyways. there are a multitude of sinking pellets pellets out there I use spectrum sinking 1mm pellets

regards  Dazzler

kyle88525

Reaction score
As far as your 5 gallon tank. I have 5 neon tetras in it and they seem to be fine. I know it doesn't adhere to the 1 inch of fish per gallon of water, but they have plenty of swimming space and seem to be happy.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you are feeding agood bit of freeze dried or frozen foods the protein will cause tiny bubbles a water change will take care of them. I use sinking shrimp pellets and veggie wafers for everybody who eats off the bottom.
A 5 gallon tank is good for shrimp or a few neons(very pretty), one Betta. A goldfish would need a substantially larger tank, even at a small size.
Carol

OP
I

Icicle

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help!

Ok lets see... Yes I do have a hang on back filter.. so perhaps that is causing a current and bubbles and I don't need to worry? perfect!

Yes I did manage to keep the gravel wet in the original water from the aquarium, so it should be ok. I live in Canada, Newfoundland to be exact. I was wondering about fish mail order but was worried about them getting too cold during delivery. There's so much snow outside I don't know where to put it when I shovel.. haha

I stopped into the local store today, and they do have some tetras and they have cherry barbs. So maybe I'll get a betta and 3 neon tetras. I read that they can go together, but I worry that 3 aren't enough tetras and I don't want to overstock the tank. Hmm.

on a side note, I've also decided to reset up my 29 Gallon. I fell in love with some Black Moors and I'm going to get them!! Haha

New Threads