NEW 55G LONG TANK FOR MY Cichlids :D they better be happy now!!!!!!!!

1. Cichlidxorz Initiate Member

I finnally made it down to Wallmart and bought a tank from last years stock with a stand for only 300$ IT is so wicked its just perfect. 55G long i can't ask for anything more and my fish better not either :D ne ways i was just wondering ir any other fish can go with my 55G tank cichlids now to use up all the open space? ne suggestions?

2. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

if ur cichlids r bigger than 5-6 inches i would recomend a red tail black shark b/c ther really fun to wathc and r cool looking and maybe put in some cory catfishes to clean up the bottom ther cool too

3. dano569 Member Member

i don't know that i would put cory cats in with any african cichlids.what lake do they come from.i have to giant danios in my mbuna tank and also 3 lace cats for bottom feeders. ;)

4. Cichlidxorz Initiate Member

I dont really know what lake they come from. 2 of them are electric yellows and then the one is a Melanochromis johanni(technical name idk the other name) and then 2 that i not identified yet. should i get some top dwelling fish(if there is any) because the cichlids usual stay on the bottom? Thanks for suggestions!

5. Cichlidxorz Initiate Member

oh yeah what about plecos will the cichlids be aggresive towards one butterfly pleco? I think they look cool then cory catfish( just me)

6. dano569 Member Member

they come from lake malawi and they are rock dwellers.if you build rock structures about middle height or a little above your tank some will stay above,some will stay in the middle,and some will stay on the bottom of the structures.i don't know about a butterfly pleco,but a common would be ok.are the unidentified ones the same body,and face shape as the yellow labs,and johanni?i have 2 giant danios as top dwellers,but you have to be careful of adding any other fish but the same species as the mbuna cichlids.i have an african cichlid that had a jack dempsey and a couple of convicts scared of him,until i finally got my other 55 going.ok i've went on enough,just do as much research on them as you can and you won't be disappointed.

7. Jason Well Known Member Member

Get a couple Pictus Catfish they're are beautiful and quite active! :D zive seen them been kept with cichlids before and Red tail Sharks. No fish small enough to fit in their mouths however. eg. neon tetra size.