New 55, upgrading from 26bow

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Shortfuuzze, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Shortfuuzze

ShortfuuzzeValued MemberMember

I've got a used 55g finally all setup and running. I bought it used off craigslist with the stand (simple aluminum frame) I will eventually be moving my fish from my 26bow (1 angel, 3 rosey tetra, 3 blackfin tetra, 3 neon tetra) into the 55g and purchasing a few more fish.

I would like to add some bottom feeders, I was thinking cories since the 55g has sand. Any other suggestions for bottom scavengers that would get along well in my new tank??

I have some fake plants in now but will be adding banana plant and amazon sword

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

The first thing you will need to do is up the schools to six on all of the tetras. Three isn't enough for any of those fish, you need a minimum of six. The neon tetras may also potentially be eaten by the angelfish when the angel is fully grown.

As for bottom feeders, corydoras are generally a pretty solid option. You will want to get a warm water species though as angelfish prefer warmer waters.

3. OP
    OP
    Shortfuuzze

Yes I know I need to up the schools to 6 each...I should have mentioned I will be doing that. I'm hoping the angelfish won't eat my neons. I've got a few ore things to add to the tank to hopefully give them hiding places if he gets nippy. Laser (angelfish) has been pretty good in the tank. Only gets a Lil testy when I start to feed, but once he's eating he could careless who's around

4. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

That's good that you're going to up the schools of fish. I personally really like corydoras adolfoi.

5. OP
    OP
    Shortfuuzze

A corydora is what started my fish hobby....."babysat" a Cory in a beta bowl....I felt bad and the fish hobby has exploded since then. About a year ago now....

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  6. Kimberly4403

Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

If it hasnt been mentioned before neons and angles require different temp ranges..
    Thats what ive been told im going through difficult decision on wether to rehome mine

Sent from my LG-D855 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. Tiny goatfish

Tiny goatfishWell Known MemberMember

8. ricmcc

ricmccWell Known MemberMember

Remember when topping up your schools, and adding corys to make gradual additions so as not to upset your cycle. I don't mean glacial slow, but reasonable additions, say a few tetra a day or so, rather than doubling your bio load in one go (it happens). I am assuming that you will be transferring your old filter or its contents and either adding an extra filter in conjunction with your current filter, or getting a larger one?
    At any rate, the point is to not get ahead of your cycle, given that under stocked schools won't pine away for want of company in the added week or so involved in exercising patience, where knocking a cycle out of balance could have consequences. All the best to you, rick
    BTW, I am not suggesting that you are likely to do anything that might hurt your cycle, but given that you are fairly new here, I'm just being cautious, hopefully without offending you:). Plus, some people seem to think doubling tank volume means immediately doubling bio load.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  9. OP
    OP
    Shortfuuzze

My mistake...it's not a neon, it's a glowlight tetra. I do that all the time haha.

Haven't had any issues yet with them and they've been in the same temp with the angel for almost a year. I've been told they will adapt to that temp.

Upside down catfish? Never heard of those but sound interesting.....I'll have to Google them.
    ricmcc yes I will transfer just a few at a time. Little guys first so they get adjusted and then the angel last. I transferred a HOB from the 26 to the 55. I also had a canister running on the 26 for a short bit that's I've transfered to the 55 along with media from the other HOB (had 2 in my 26) I appreciate that words of wisdom though for sure. Always good to be reminded of helpful habits!

10. newbiefishgrl

newbiefishgrlNew MemberMember

As far as bottom feeders we have two Pictus Catfish and they are fun!!!! Semi aggressive though but they do great with our Angels and Sharks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum