New 55 Gallon! 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Puck44, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Puck44

Puck44Valued MemberMember

Hi, yesterday we picked up an 55 gallon aqueon kit! Came with a quiet flow 75 filter I think it was called something like that. we have a common Pleco in our 29 gallon and we are going to move him/her to 55. So any other stalking would be great. By the way it will be a freshwater community tank, also we might want a school of Cory’s probably albinos. Also my cousin is giving me an EHAIM filter meant for up to 164 gallons I think. So any stocking suggestions would be great! Thank you!

2. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

You might want to see if you can get some store credit for the common pleco. Those can get over a foot long and your tank won’t be able to support him if he does grow that long.

In my opinion 55g are really schooling tank. Not deep enough to get any large Cichilds.

If having albino Cory is the #1 thing you will want to find fish that will fit in it’s temperature range.

@TexasDomer is really good at stocking.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

What other kind of fish do you want?

What specific kind of filter is it? The ratings for tank sizes don't mean anything, you want to look at the gallons per hour. For a canister, I would aim for around 5x the volume of the tank for GPH.

4. OP
    OP
    Puck44

I’m not sure of the name of the filter now but it is meant for up to 75 gallons, it’s a quiet flow I think.
    Also we will have an Eheim for up to 164 gallons so a lot of filtration!
    We would
    Maybe like 3 schools of 8-10 fish and a bottom feeder with the plec. Something like that.
    Thanks for the replies!
    Right now the plec is 5-6 inches in a 29 and we are putting him/her in the 55. Also we will get an even bigger tank at some point.
    Oh yeah also a centerpiece fish like a blue gourami! Thanks!

We might want warmer water schooling fish like rummys nose cardinals and stuff like that! Any ideas on any other warmer water schoolers? @Fashooga ?
    @TexasDomer ?

So what do you think of the above reply’s?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2018
  5. TexasDomer

Again, the ratings on the filters are useless. Can you please get the GPH of each filter? It should be on the box. Or you can tell us the specific type of Eheim, and we can look up the GPH ourselves if you can't provide it.

3 schools is too many for a 4ft tank, I think. I'd just go with 2 upper/mid dwelling school, a school of bottom feeders, and a few centerpiece fish.

I'd still rehome the pleco sooner rather than later. He limits your stocking, he'll outgrow your tank, and he'll make a big mess.

Lots of options. What about this?

10-12x Rummynose tetra
    10-12x Cardinal tetra
    2-3x Blue gourami (1 M, 1-2 F)
    10x Albino cories (C. aeneus)

You don't need to post another reply if I haven't answered - I get notifications from the other replies, and I do have a busy life outside of Fishlore :)

6. OP
    OP
    Puck44

Cool! Won’t blue gouramis be aggressive in groups?

Would this work?
    18 rummy nose
    8 of another Small schooling fish
    1 blue gourami
    10 Albino Cory’s
    And 6 Siamese Algae Eaters? Thanks!

actually now that I think of it that sound overstocked

7. TexasDomer

The female gouramis shouldn't be aggressive to each other, and the male shouldn't be too aggressive to the females. I would avoid two males though, if you're worried about that.

SAEs need cooler water, and you wanted a warmer water stock. That's also a lot of schools. Did you only want the SAE to clean algae for you?

8. OP
    OP
    Puck44

I wanted them cause I just like the idea of having an algae eater and I really like them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. TexasDomer

You're the best at controlling and preventing algae. If you want SAEs, you'll still need to feed them, and you'll need to adjust your other stocking because they like cooler water.

10. OP
    OP
    Puck44

Ok thanks! I can’t tell you the gph but I will try to tell you later.

Thanks for the replies!
    I know that I want 18 rummy nose and 10 Albino Cory’s!
    I want another school of 10-12 of another warmer water school. Do you know of anything besides Cardinal Tetras? I also want a centerpiece fish. Any ideas for that?
    Thanks!

Also would blue gourami be a predator to any of those fish?

11. TexasDomer

Lots of choices for both. Why don't you go to your LFS, write down the names of the fish you like, and bring that list back here? We can help you choose appropriate species from that list.

Blue gourami should be fine with rummynose and albino cories.

12. OP
    OP
    Puck44

What about neon serpae tetras?

Or would they nip the gouramis?

13. TexasDomer

I don't know what neon serpae tetras are. Neon tetra need cooler water than the rummynose, and serpae tetra can be nippy, particularly in small groups. Not sure I'd keep them with the gourami.

14. OP
    OP
    Puck44

Ok thanks! I’m going to think about it and get back to you.

What do you think of dwarf pencil fish?
    Maybe 12?
    I might go with apistos or gbr, instead. Any tips on how to care for them?

Actually I think it was a different kind of pencil fish that my LFS has. But witch ever that one is.

15. Fishywife

FishywifeValued MemberMember

You dont want to be putting gbr in a newly cycling tank.. they are very sensitive to water quality..

16. DinoterValued MemberMember

The stock you had sounds fine, except for the SAEs. I would go with a BN plec if you want an algae eater. I also agree with getting rid of the common pleco. I had one in a 29 gallon and it grew as long as the tank was and hunted almost all the other fish

17. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Most likely the pencils are the Golden Pencilfish, Nannostomus beckfordi. These are the most common in the hobby.

I love these guys, they are amazing fish and full of personality. Unfortunately the dealer tank doesn't reflect this, but the adult males constantly spar with eachother and its really cute how much character they have!

18. OP
    OP
    Puck44

Thanks for the response! I wouldn’t put them into a newly cycled tank. They would probably be the last fish not there! Thanks!

Wow that sounds big!

19. DinoterValued MemberMember

It got almost two feet long, we had to bring it back to the lfs in a cooler :p

20. OP
    OP
    Puck44

That’s crazy!!!

What do you think of
    18 x Rummy nose
    12 x pencil fish
    10x Albino Cory’s
    Pair of apistos ?
    Thanks!

Or is not recommended to put dwarf cichlids with Cory’s?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice