New 55 gallon

1. slayer980 Member Member

So I had posted before about starting a new 55 gallon tank. I just picked up the tank today. It is a used tank from a buddy I work with. Sad to say he has well water so the tank has mineral deposits in it. I was wondering what would be the best way to get the deposits cleaned out before I redo the seal? Any help would be greatly appreciated. As this is my second tank now. MTS HAS STRUCK ME HARD. I possibly have a 2nd 55 gallon coming in the next few weeks as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. blusshed Well Known Member Member

I think peroxide and 70% rubbing alcohol do the trick? not 100% but that's what I've seen in the past for cleaning, sterilizing, etc, so try peroxide and some good ol' elbow grease. :)

congrats on the tanks! MTS is stressful, and costly, but worth it in the end!

3. slayer980 Member Member

Thanks blusshed. I new I needed to reseal it but I didnt realize it was full of buildup. I already have near everything I need for the 55 I just got but im considering using the hob filter I bought and placing pvc pipe to it and essentially it being an under gravel filter in a way. Has anyone attempted something like that before that might beable to tell me if it works. I intend the pvc to filter water from all over the tank. I havent drawn any plans for it but intend to once I have the inside measurments of the tank.

4. blusshed Well Known Member Member

The peroxide should work :)

and bed im no good at DIY so you'll have to wait for the DIY people.

check around the DIY section and see if there is anything similar :)

5. slayer980 Member Member

This is basically what im looking to do and using the pvc on the back glass to also make a couple of platforms for flame moss

Attached Files:

6. slayer980 Member Member

New build has begun. Took garden hise to the tank and rinsed out probably 90 percent of the mineral buildup. Now got it soaking hoping to breakup the remaining a lil bit so I can take a scubbie to the rest.then to stage 2 removing the old sealant and redoing it

7. slayer980 Member Member

Here she is the 55 gallon

Attached Files:

8. slayer980 Member Member

Before the rinse