New 55 gallon

1. slayer980

slayer980 Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I had posted before about starting a new 55 gallon tank. I just picked up the tank today. It is a used tank from a buddy I work with. Sad to say he has well water so the tank has mineral deposits in it. I was wondering what would be the best way to get the deposits cleaned out before I redo the seal? Any help would be greatly appreciated. As this is my second tank now. MTS HAS STRUCK ME HARD. I possibly have a 2nd 55 gallon coming in the next few weeks as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. blusshed

blusshed Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I think peroxide and 70% rubbing alcohol do the trick? not 100% but that's what I've seen in the past for cleaning, sterilizing, etc, so try peroxide and some good ol' elbow grease. :)

congrats on the tanks! MTS is stressful, and costly, but worth it in the end!

3. OP
    OP
    slayer980

slayer980 Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks blusshed. I new I needed to reseal it but I didnt realize it was full of buildup. I already have near everything I need for the 55 I just got but im considering using the hob filter I bought and placing pvc pipe to it and essentially it being an under gravel filter in a way. Has anyone attempted something like that before that might beable to tell me if it works. I intend the pvc to filter water from all over the tank. I havent drawn any plans for it but intend to once I have the inside measurments of the tank.

4. blusshed

blusshed Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +19
    The peroxide should work :)

and bed im no good at DIY so you'll have to wait for the DIY people.

check around the DIY section and see if there is anything similar :)

5. OP
    OP
    slayer980

slayer980 Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is basically what im looking to do and using the pvc on the back glass to also make a couple of platforms for flame moss

Attached Files:

6. OP
    OP
    slayer980

slayer980 Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    New build has begun. Took garden hise to the tank and rinsed out probably 90 percent of the mineral buildup. Now got it soaking hoping to breakup the remaining a lil bit so I can take a scubbie to the rest.then to stage 2 removing the old sealant and redoing it

7. OP
    OP
    slayer980

slayer980 Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Here she is the 55 gallon

Attached Files:

8. OP
    OP
    slayer980

slayer980 Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Before the rinse