new 55 gallon tank

1. joe Member Member

i just set up my 55 gal. today. i put in 50 lb. of gravel and then two big holey rocks. also two peices of drift wood with plants growing on them. and two amazon swords. i found some wierd centipeed,catapillar looking think on one of my leaves of the amazon sword, any ideas on what that is? Also it is going to be a cichlid tank so if anyone has any advice on cichlids or what cichlids i should put in my tank, just type away. ;D

2. Cichlidxorz Initiate Member

Definitaly yellow labs and electric blue johanni. Thats my input :D. I have recently started a 55G cichlid tank as well for my yellow labs and electric blue johanni. I have posted pictures under breeding "Cichlid" and uner general "55Gallon-Cichlids" Hope that helps.

Peace,
    Cichlids

3. dano569 Member Member

do research on south american and african cichlids and just see which you like better.i couldn't decide between them so i have a tank of each.you could have a bunch of mbuna where as most south americans get big and you wouldn't be able to have but 3 or 4.there's also dwarf cichlids and look up brichardi's. ;) ;D

4. joe Member Member

thanks guys, and i was definately thinking about puting in johanis and yellow labs. i was also thinking about the red zebra. I do no that they are pretty agressive, could i get any bottome feeders? Suggestions on that would help too, thanks.

5. joe Member Member

and dano i just looked up the brichardis and i like those alot. i saw them at my petstore a couple days ago. thanks.

6. dano569 Member Member

no prob.the red zebras i have are not that bad i have some ob zebras also.i have 3 lace cats and 2 skunk botias in my african 55.just make sure the skunks are a decent size before you put them in.they are tough fish they swim with my cichlids when i put food in there and are not scared of much. ;)also a word of advice with the mbuna cichlids it's better to over crowd them[to a certain extent] because you don't have 1 or 2 fish getting picked on.in my tank i have 15 or 16 and there are only one or two dominate ones.sometimes it's trial and error.also if you are gonna over crowd them make sure you have great filtration.

8)

7. joe Member Member

thanks dano. so do u think there is any bottom feeders that would go with african cichlids. :)

8. dano569 Member Member

lace cats would probably be the best choice. ;)

9. joe Member Member

thanks dano i'll look into those :D