New 55 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Mully60, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Mully60Valued MemberMember

I just finished setting up my new 55 gallon tank I received from a friend. It's a moderately planted tank with three pieces of drift wood and two rainbow rocks. While waiting for it to cycle I'm thinking about the fish I want to add. I currently have a 30 gallon tank that has 4 fish in that I will be transferring over when cycled. What I'm considering :

15 espei rasbora
    6 rainbows (3 Boesemani and 3 turquoise)
    Either 6 cories or 5-6 kuhli loaches
    1 pleco (from current aquarium)
    1 black and yellow catfish (from current aquarium, about 3 inches long)
    1 rainbow shark (from current aquarium)
    If I'm able to once the tank is really established, a pair of German blue rams.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

What type of pleco?
    Rainbowfish need a group of 6+ of their own species, so 3 of two types wouldn't be good.
    Cories also need a group of 6+ of their own species.
    And with GBRs, you have to make sure that the type of cory can handle the high temp they need.
    High temp cories are: sterbai, adolfoi, duplicareus, aeneus, oiapoquensis and gossei.
    And what species is the black and yellow catfish? Could you post a pic?

3. OP
    OP
    M

Mully60Valued MemberMember

I'm not sure what kind of pleco I have. I have had it in my 30 gallon aquarium for about 2 and a half years. It's about 4 or 5 inches right now.

OK, thanks for the info on rainbows. The guy at the fish store told me I could do two groups as long as I had six or more.

Maybe I'll go with the loaches instead of the cories then. I'll have to see if I like the ones that prefer warmer water.

Also not sure about the black and yellow catfish. He's also been in the aquarium for about 2 and a half years. I'll try and get a pic but he doesn't come out often during the day.

Thanks for the info!

4. Anders247

No problem!
    Could you also get a pic of the pleco?

5. OP
    OP
    M

This isn't the best picture since he is hiding right now. I can try and get a better one when he comes out

Attached Files:

6. Anders247

Hard to see, but is that the pleco or the catfish?

7. OP
    OP
    M

Here is a better picture of the place. Still unable to get the black and yellow catfish.

Attached Files:

8. Anders247

I'm guessing a Hypostomus pleco? They get big, it'll need a bigger tank than you have. Much bigger. hampalong can probably ID it for you.

9. OP
    OP
    M

OK, thanks. Since I have had it for over 2 and a half years and it hasn't gotten any bigger in the past year I figured it would stay this size. Also, since I put my 30 gallon in its temporary spot while the 55 cycles, the pleco hasn't moved. I had to move him in order to get that picture.

10. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Looks like a gibbiceps. It will grow some more when you upgrade it.

11. OP
    OP
    M

I was finally able to get an okay picture of my catfish. After looking at it I believe it may be a bumblebee catfish.

Attached Files:

12. Anders247

The big type? Yeah, doesn't look like an SA bumblebee, but it may be the asian bumblebee.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice