New 55 gallon tank

1. M

Mully60 Valued Member Member

I just finished setting up my new 55 gallon tank I received from a friend. It's a moderately planted tank with three pieces of drift wood and two rainbow rocks. While waiting for it to cycle I'm thinking about the fish I want to add. I currently have a 30 gallon tank that has 4 fish in that I will be transferring over when cycled. What I'm considering :

15 espei rasbora
    6 rainbows (3 Boesemani and 3 turquoise)
    Either 6 cories or 5-6 kuhli loaches
    1 pleco (from current aquarium)
    1 black and yellow catfish (from current aquarium, about 3 inches long)
    1 rainbow shark (from current aquarium)
    If I'm able to once the tank is really established, a pair of German blue rams.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

What type of pleco?
    Rainbowfish need a group of 6+ of their own species, so 3 of two types wouldn't be good.
    Cories also need a group of 6+ of their own species.
    And with GBRs, you have to make sure that the type of cory can handle the high temp they need.
    High temp cories are: sterbai, adolfoi, duplicareus, aeneus, oiapoquensis and gossei.
    And what species is the black and yellow catfish? Could you post a pic?

3. OP
    OP
    M

I'm not sure what kind of pleco I have. I have had it in my 30 gallon aquarium for about 2 and a half years. It's about 4 or 5 inches right now.

OK, thanks for the info on rainbows. The guy at the fish store told me I could do two groups as long as I had six or more.

Maybe I'll go with the loaches instead of the cories then. I'll have to see if I like the ones that prefer warmer water.

Also not sure about the black and yellow catfish. He's also been in the aquarium for about 2 and a half years. I'll try and get a pic but he doesn't come out often during the day.

Thanks for the info!

4. Anders247

No problem!
    Could you also get a pic of the pleco?

5. OP
    OP
    M

This isn't the best picture since he is hiding right now. I can try and get a better one when he comes out

Attached Files:

6. Anders247

Hard to see, but is that the pleco or the catfish?

7. OP
    OP
    M

Here is a better picture of the place. Still unable to get the black and yellow catfish.

Attached Files:

8. Anders247

I'm guessing a Hypostomus pleco? They get big, it'll need a bigger tank than you have. Much bigger. hampalong can probably ID it for you.

9. OP
    OP
    M

OK, thanks. Since I have had it for over 2 and a half years and it hasn't gotten any bigger in the past year I figured it would stay this size. Also, since I put my 30 gallon in its temporary spot while the 55 cycles, the pleco hasn't moved. I had to move him in order to get that picture.

10. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

Looks like a gibbiceps. It will grow some more when you upgrade it.

11. OP
    OP
    M

I was finally able to get an okay picture of my catfish. After looking at it I believe it may be a bumblebee catfish.

Attached Files:

12. Anders247

The big type? Yeah, doesn't look like an SA bumblebee, but it may be the asian bumblebee.