New 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by jokerrk, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jokerrkValued MemberMember

Hey guys,

I have a brand new 55 Gallon tank and put in the water, gravel and the dechlorinator. I have a 20 Gallon tank which is already cycled and was wondering how or if I can cycle by 55 Gallon tank faster? I currently have about 10 fish in my 20 gallon and about 15 baby fry inside. I have a few ornaments and a few plants. I moved 2 ornaments into the 55 Gallon tank thinking that some of the ammonia must be on there so it may rub off it and go into the new tank?
    The 20 Gallong tank has 1 filter and the new 55 Gallon tank has a double filter system
    Any help would be great.

2. Disc61

Disc61Well Known MemberMember

here is a couple things. if the filtering system is good and seeded in your 20 gl, you can take the media out of it and put a new one in it. put the old media in one of your filtering slots for the new 55gl. however, you need to make sure you do not throw your old tank into a mini cycle ( which can cause problems for your fishes.
    another way is get a pair of pantyhose ( must be new never used) cut the legs off at about the knee. fill them both up with some gravel from your 20 gl and tie a knot in them. then hang them in the 55 gl or just sit them in the corner at the bottom. yes, it will look ugly but will carry a lot of BB that your new tank needs. i am sure others will have more ideas for you. Just don't crash your old tank trying to start up your new one. I always have at least one extra filter in one of my tanks at all time, it makes it much easier. that way.

3. OP
    OP
    j

jokerrkValued MemberMember

And how long would I leave the the panythose inside the tank for?

4. Disc61

Disc61Well Known MemberMember

I generally leave them in there at least 6 weeks, this will allow your filter and media to get well established. just make sure the Pantyhose are new not used and washed with soap.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice