New 55 Gallon tank stocking ideas

Sheabutter315

Hello everyone, this is my first post here, I hope I am doing it correctly! I am not exactly new to fishkeeping however it's been many years. My dad used to have a 75 gallon cichlid tank when I was young so I thought I knew about fish, however after researching fishkeeping the last 3 months I am realizing how many mistakes my dad made lol. Anywayss I am excited to get back into the hobby, I set up my 55 gallon tank yesterday and am waiting for it to cycle. In the meantime I was thinking about how to stock the tank and any time I look at related posts I see mixed feedback. I was thinking

5 baby angelfish
6-8 cherry barbs
6 cory cats

I've read a lot of conflicting information about whether cherry barbs and angelfish will get along. I was also wondering, if this stocking idea is ok, which fish I should put in the tank first- I was thinking the cory cats then angels then barbs because I read cherry barbs can be territorial with newcomers, and the angels I plan on getting are very small. Any advice is appreciated

Sheabutter315

Hello everyone, this is my first post here, I hope I am doing it correctly! I am not exactly new to fishkeeping however it's been many years. My dad used to have a 75 gallon cichlid tank when I was young so I thought I knew about fish, however after researching fishkeeping the last 3 months I am realizing how many mistakes my dad made lol. Anywayss I am excited to get back into the hobby, I set up my 55 gallon tank yesterday and am waiting for it to cycle. In the meantime I was thinking about how to stock the tank and any time I look at related posts I see mixed feedback. I was thinking

5 baby angelfish
6-8 cherry barbs
6 cory cats

I've read a lot of conflicting information about whether cherry barbs and angelfish will get along. I was also wondering, if this stocking idea is ok, which fish I should put in the tank first- I was thinking the cory cats then angels then barbs because I read cherry barbs can be territorial with newcomers, and the angels I plan on getting are very small. Any advice is appreciated

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Sorry I don’t have much to add but I’m pretty sure 5 angels will be to much for a 55 gallon tank. Even if they are small they won’t stay small

Upvote 0

TClare

Sorry I don’t have much to add but I’m pretty sure 5 angels will be to much for a 55 gallon tank. Even if they are small they won’t stay small
Well it would be Ok to get 5 juveniles, then eventually rehome the rest if a pair forms. I have never had cherry barbs so can’t say if they would be OK with angels, there are several larger tetra species that would be fine If not.

Upvote 0

Fishnturtleguy933

Hello, welcome to fishlore!
How about a pair of angels
10-12 tetra of some kind(no experience with cherry barbs) or harlequin rasbora
1 bn pleco of some variety
And a shoal of 8-10 corydoras at the bottom.

Upvote 0

Deku-Cory

In my experience, Cherries pretty much ignore other species as long as they have a decently sized group. They act tough but they're really just pushovers. (Don't tell them I said that.) They're even intimidated by my Cories! I imagine an Angelfish would hold its own easily against them.

Upvote 0

Sheabutter315

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful replies! I forgot to mention I was planning on the 5 baby angelfish knowing I probably won't be able to keep all of them once fully grown, I just love the idea of watching them grow up and crossing that bridge when I get to it. If the general consensus is that it isn't a good idea I am definitely open to just getting a pair.

If the cherry barbs don't work I was thinking about lemon tetras or maybe harlequin rasboras instead. Does anyone have experience with lemon tetras and angels? I am just worried about fin nipping.

Upvote 0

TClare

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful replies! I forgot to mention I was planning on the 5 baby angelfish knowing I probably won't be able to keep all of them once fully grown, I just love the idea of watching them grow up and crossing that bridge when I get to it. If the general consensus is that it isn't a good idea I am definitely open to just getting a pair.

If the cherry barbs don't work I was thinking about lemon tetras or maybe harlequin rasboras instead. Does anyone have experience with lemon tetras and angels? I am just worried about fin nipping.
I believe a lot of people keep lemon tetras with angelfish, they are often recommended. And I am sure it is Ok to start with 5 juvenile Angelfish.

Upvote 0

Fishnturtleguy933

If you keep them in a large enough school like say 10-15 you should be fine. They should stay more interested in their own rather than nipping your angels.

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

Smaller/younger Angels are schooling fish, They are also not as hardy as the larger/older ones at the store. Your tank Can house 5 until they start nearing half dollar size. or until they basically stop getting along, whichever comes first. it would be ideal to have a large back up tank. You never know when a pair may form and become aggressive. I have been lucky myself, that my group stayed relatively placid long enough to be separated.

Cherry barbs, I here mixed things about them and chickened out on getting them.

Upvote 0

darkcat

I think it'll work! Are you, going to keep them permanently? What corydoras are you going to use?

Upvote 0

Sheabutter315

Awesome! I don't think I will be able to keep all the angels permanently as they may get too big or aggressive, but I was thinking of just watching them grow up and crossing that bridge when I get to it. For corydoras I really like the look of the sterbai however around me I have only seen albino so I think I will start looking at some other fish stores

Upvote 0

darkcat

Since cherry barbs are small, the Angelfish might eat them!! But since you are keeping the Angelfish from babies, I think it'll go fine. Pygmy cories and juliis are small and cute!! I like those two!

Upvote 0

Deku-Cory

Cherry barbs, I here mixed things about them and chickened out on getting them.
I was really nervous at first when I got mine. But after owning them for over a year, I honestly think they unfairly get a bad reputation. Every case of aggressive Cherry Barbs I've seen has been with groups of 6 or less. People use the 6+ rule for schooling fish, but for Cherries I think it really needs to be 8+. They have to be in a big enough school to keep each other occupied without ending up overly harassing each other. They are such outgoing, spunky, and beautiful fish. An absolute delight to own, and I don't regret getting mine for a moment.

Upvote 0

Lebeeze

I've kept cherry barbs with angels, no issues at all. I personally don't think 5 angels in a 55 is too many either. I've always been a fan of slightly overstocked tanks, they look more appealing. Just gotta be willing to do the water changes to accommodate.

Upvote 0

TClare

I've kept cherry barbs with angels, no issues at all. I personally don't think 5 angels in a 55 is too many either. I've always been a fan of slightly overstocked tanks, they look more appealing. Just gotta be willing to do the water changes to accommodate.
It might not be too many at first but sooner or later a pair will form and chase the others to a corner, and/or a particular ángel might be a bully, or one might be constantly bullied. They can even kill each other, but anyway it’s fine to start with 5 juveniles, let them grow up together then play it by ear, I think it is good plan.

Upvote 0

Lebeeze

It might not be too many at first but sooner or later a pair will form and chase the others to a corner, and/or a particular ángel might be a bully, or one might be constantly bullied. They can even kill each other, but anyway it’s fine to start with 5 juveniles, let them grow up together then play it by ear, I think it is good plan.
I have 3 angels in my 60 gallon. 2 are paired off and the other one just chills. The pair has never tried to bully him.

Upvote 0

TClare

I have 3 angels in my 60 gallon. 2 are paired off and the other one just chills. The pair has never tried to bully him.
That is really good, I have heard other stories but I am sure it depends on the individuals. Myself I have 6 juveniles (two are about 2-3” body size, the rest are smaller) in a large tank about 150 gallons). Will have to see what happens when they grow up and just be prepared to move any if necessary, they are all fine just now.

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

Me Too!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
johnmaddox
  • Question
Replies
Views
EdieBadedie
Replies
Views