New 55 Gallon Tank. Need Help With Stocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azza

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What I was hoping to have in my tank (I haven’t bought it yet so can get bigger if need to) is a dwarf fuzzy lionfish and a blue spotted puffer however I know that puffers are fin nippers but I have seen some websites saying they are but wanted to check. Thanks for any help

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Looks like you did some research as both of those fish are listed as 50 gallons minimum on liveaquaria.com (which is by far the most accurate site for recommended minimum tank sizes). As for fin nipping with puffers it's much like whether or not a Pygmy Angel/Dwarf Angel will be a coral nipper as there is no science to it, some will and some won't. It's just a gamble that you will take, although I do think that the puffer will be less likely to go after a Lionfish (for obvious reasons). Just be aware that given what you are choosing for stock you will have to go without corals or inverts (ie snails, hermit crabs and shrimp) as they will get eaten. Any other ideas for stock or just those two?

Azza

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I want to have something smaller in there as well but don’t know what

Any suggestions

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I want to have something smaller in there as well but don’t know what

Any suggestions
The problem is that you are basically creating a Predator Tank (with the lionfish) so options will be limited. If you are looking for something interesting you could try a Frogfish (small angler fish):

Or Scorpion Fish:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom