new 55 gallon tank 2 little tigers

1. AdkRaptor Initiate Member

just got my two little Oscars today in there tank, bout a great 55 gallon kit at walmart for 183.00, the hood is kinda wimpy but can be replaced. also got a extra filter for there waste problem ive read about.

two tigers are about 2" I'm borrowing a buddies camera ill get a little video together on you tube

tank was up for 2 weeks with small albino red tail shark, all tests show a go.
    be doing alot of research on these guys, cant wait until i have to get a bigger tank. lol.

how long can i expect to keep this 55? rate of growth? if i come across a albino tiger in the next few days could i add or no?

any great oscar sites other than this

2. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Maybe a few months, Oscars grow almost a 1" a month for their first year. They need a large tank fast if you don't want them stunted.

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Your thread title scared me! I thought you were going to keep the oscars in the 55 forever. Oops.

I'm no oscar expert, want them, but I don't have a tank big enough or tough enough for them, but from what I've read while researching, they grow quite quickly over the first year and then they slow down.

An awesome oscar website is www.oscarfishlover.com

Congratulations! Can't wait to see pics of them.

4. brennan2010 Initiate Member

You should consider getting a bigger tank as soon as possible. Oscars should reach around 8 inches in a year and a standard 55 is only 12 inches wide. I would get a 90+ gallon tank. A 55 would last you a year if you had no choice and no alternatives. I learned that the hard way! Lol

5. AdkRaptor Initiate Member

thanks. i will continue to search Internet and Craig's list for a large 150+ tank, i have had smaller tanks all my life but nothing bigger than this 55. i hear larger tanks are easier to care for any truth to that. what filtration would be best

a couple people told me you shouldnt add Oscars to a already established tank, even if there little. but haven't seen that anywhere on here

6. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

A wet/dry sump would be the best filtration for Oscars

7. AdkRaptor Initiate Member

sounds expensive, ill do some more research on the subject. there is so much info on these forums

8. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

The pump is the most expensive part, Mag is a good brand.
    I made my whole sump for about $100

9. AdkRaptor Initiate Member

made your hole sump? sounds complicated, learn something new everyday i guess
    i see you have 2 oscars in a 150, how big are the oscars and do you think they have enough room right now as they are or are you needing a bigger tank? are yours red, tiger?

can u add as friend incase of questions ever.
    thanks alot
    -Joe

10. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Mine are about 6 in., and the 150 is their forever home. I will not be upgrading to a larger tank. I have an Albino Red & a Regular Tiger Oscar.
    My boyfriend built my sump for me, it runs awesome.

11. AdkRaptor Initiate Member

how long have you had the oscars, where they like mine when you got them 2" or so,
    sump sounds like the way to go, great info and tanks, thanks alot

12. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

No, mine were about 3 1/2" when I rescued them from someone's 10 gal.