New 55 Gallon Stocking Ideas

Iluvfishies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BDFAA083-6505-4B12-A576-E60200D9A134.jpeg
Hiya guys, I’m going to be setting my old 55 gallon tank back up once the stuff I ordered arrives. Things going on the tank:
1: aquaclear 110 (should be enough right?)
2: spongefilter for more bio
3: air pump of course with stone bar
4: probably a 150 watt heater

I need some ideas for stocking the tank. And also an idea for a substrate. I’ve always like the idea of Cory cats, but I’ve also liked the idea of a couple bristlenose pleco’s. Just wanted to see if anyone could give me some ideas of what to stock the tank with and maybe a good idea for substrate. (PS ive Never done plants, don’t know how)
Thanks in advance!!!!
@TexasDomer

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Would recommend a more powerful heater, around 250W.
An AC110 and a Foam Filter should provide enough circulation & aeration, you'll have to play around with placement though. You may need an intake extension on the AC110 to get good movement, and a powerhead or circ pump would be required for any amount of current.

smallfries

Reaction score
I'm pretty new as well and just set up a 55 gallon hex tank after my new 10 gallon sprang a leak, but have you looked into Black Diamond Blasting Abrasive? I don't know if you have a Tractor Supply around you, but it's only $8 for a 50 lb bag. You just need to use root tabs or something like it for plants because it's inert. Before my tank leaked, my plants were doing well in it. I'm settled on 6 Von Rio Flame tetras after seeing them in my LFS, plus I want 3 Blue Rams, some guppies (my son likes them) and either pygmy corys or kuhli loaches.

Iluvfishies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
W
Mick Frost said:
Would recommend a more powerful heater, around 250W.
An AC110 and a Foam Filter should provide enough circulation & aeration, you'll have to play around with placement though. You may need an intake extension on the AC110 to get good movement, and a powerhead or circ pump would be required for any amount of current.
What would I need current for? And so what you’re saying, besides the heater it should all be good? And what about placenta of these items? Ideas?

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Iluvfishies said:
What would I need current for? And so what you’re saying, besides the heater it should all be good? And what about placenta of these items? Ideas?
Just saying you won't have enough current for certain fish. Ideal placement will be where they work together to provide the best surface agitation and not have any dead spots in the water column. I usually test circulation with Nori or zested Zucchini as they take a while to settle.

Iluvfishies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We
TexasDomer said:
Lots of options! Do you want bigger fish or smaller fish? Particular colors?
Well all I’ve had is cichlids , so I’m a bigger fan of somewhat biggerr fish. Not huge (already have an Oscar.) lol I’ve just only known Oscars and stuff so not 100% sure what can go together and stuff. I’ll be getting the fish from petco probably. I just want unique and cool looking stuff. I bought an fx4 for my 75 today, so once that is established , my 406 will go on the 55 with a 300 watt heater and bar light and air stone sound like a good plan ? Haha I just figured fx4 would be great for a large waste producer and it’s a little larger of tank.

Iluvfishies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TexasDomer said:
Lots of options! Do you want bigger fish or smaller fish? Particular colors?
And not really particular in colors. Just unique, not small, somewhat “big” fish. Lol just interesting and cool per say.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You can't really get unique fish at Petco Can you order online? Or can Petco order for you?

I would do something like this:

4x Keyholes
10x Cories (one species, many options here)
10-15x Schooler 1
10-15x Schooler 2
2-5x Honey gourami

Cories and schooling species will depend on what's available. If you just have Petco, next time you go, right down the names of the fish you like. Come back here with that list, and we'll help you stock with what's available.

Iluvfishies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TexasDomer said:
You can't really get unique fish at Petco Can you order online? Or can Petco order for you?

I would do something like this:

4x Keyholes
10x Cories (one species, many options here)
10-15x Schooler 1
10-15x Schooler 2
2-5x Honey gourami

Cories and schooling species will depend on what's available. If you just have Petco, next time you go, right down the names of the fish you like. Come back here with that list, and we'll help you stock with what's available.
Where is a good place online?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Lots of places! I've had good experience with MsJinkzd (not sure if she's recovered enough to start shipping fish again quite yet) and I absolutely love WetSpot. Many members like Aquatic Arts and Trin's Fish too.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom