Help New 55 Gallon Arcrylic Aquarium But what Fliter Size?

eds48

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have this 55 Gallon Arcrylic Aquarium but I am unsure of what type of filter to get. What I mean by that is that I am leaning towards the brand aqueon but do it get the Aqueon Quietflow 50 OR the Aqueon Quietflow 55/75? I just want the best for my fish. Can anyone help me out and recommend your best choice for HOB filters? I just simply want the best for my fish

Nikita

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
To figure out what kind of filters you need, look at the GPH it provides. A filter needs GPH that's 10X the volume of the tank. For example, your tank needs around 500 - 550 GPH (55 X 10 = 550).

Aqueon filters are usually REALLY noisy (from the motors IME), especially the bigger ones. I wouldn't recommend unless you are okay with this. If you are still wanting a Aqueon, I would recommend getting two Quietflow 50's (250 GPH each). For a good HOB, I would recommend 2 Emperor 280 filters. They worked great for me in the past.

Honestly with that big of a tank, I would go with a canister filter. They take less room, lasts for quite a while with proper maintenance, and look better than a HOB. The Sun-Sun filters from Amazon work GREAT, I would 10/10 recommend. You don't have to want to get a canister, it's just a recommendation.

OP
eds48

eds48

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you very much for the information. I'm leaning more towards the aqueon 55/75 based on other peoples reviews with them and my past experience with aqueon filters and other products, but anyways thank you.

eaking

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
eds48 said:
Thank you very much for the information. I'm leaning more towards the aqueon 55/75 based on other peoples reviews with them and my past experience with aqueon filters and other products, but anyways thank you.
I have that same filter on my 54gal corner tank works great it's only been about 4 months. I am however looking into a canister filter or a refugium style of filtration. Unfortunately I don't have a drilled tank so no matter what I'm going to have a little clutter on the back but with a refugium I can at least get the heater out of the main tank..

New Threads