New 55 gal

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Just started a 55 gal tank with 2 oscars and a jack dempsey. Just wanted to post some pictures and get some advice as this is my fist tank with aggressive fish and i don't have a whole lot of experience with knowing what to look for as signs of trouble. Sorry pics are a little fuzzy as they are cell phone pics.

Attachments

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Congrats on getting a 55! And welcome to FishLore!

I see you got a skull just like the one I have in my betta's tank. Did you get it from Walmart?
Okay, so I would bet that 55 is enough free space to keep those fish from tearing eachother apart, but you'll want to watch out for aggressive movements and wounds. If you see the fish make sudden "lunges" at one another, they could be arguing. If you see them chasing eachother around the tank, they could be fighting, or trying to avoid fighting. If you see tattered fins or missing scales, they could be fighting. The most important part when keeping any kind of cichlid is to have PLENTY of hiding places. So far, it would appear as though you don't. Rocks, large plants, caves, ornaments, driftwood, basically anything that can obstruct view from one another will help them establish territories and they will get along much better. That is unless they happen to wander into eachother's territories.

Anyway, I hope this helps! Good luck with your 55!

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello and Welcome to Fishlore!

I have to regret telling you this but oscars would do well in a 55 alone. The guideline is one oscar in a 55 gal. So sooner or later, you'd have to move your current fish out as oscars create a lot of waste. But your tank looks awesome! I love the skull. Creepy but nice

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The skull looks awesome. Nice looking tank!

Welcome to Fishlore!

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Just got home and noticed that one of the oscars and the jack dempsey were fighting. I have some frozen bloodworms, would that help with all the aggression? and yeah i do need more hiding spots.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Rehoming them would help with the aggression.

tetralover77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
welcome to fishlore, i like the tank an oscar and the jack dempsey could stay in the 55, but one oscar would have to go.

mizzoufan96

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Probally the fighting is from having 2 in one tank. I think they should be fine for a while. Very great setup!
-Nathan

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm telling you, hiding spots could help greatly.

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
benjaminBreaker said:
I'm telling you, hiding spots could help greatly.
Took you're advice and went to petsmart this morning and got some cichilid friendly decorations/hiding spots. Whatd'ya think.

Attachments

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The tank looks great, but sadly your fish won't get along quite so nicely for very long at all.

I think 55 gallon isn't even enough for 1 oscar and wouldn't keep 2 in anything less than 100G.

Also, once oyur oscars get big, they will tear the tank apart and make in look how they want.
I strongly recommend re-homing the oscars.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yep, like Ben said, the best stocking would be to keep the JD and rehome both oscars, as ONE oscar needs a 75 gallon tank and your current stocknig will need a 120 gallon at least.

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
after redecorating yesterday, I came home to find that both my oscars were hiding in the corner and wouldnt come out. this is strange as they are usually very happy to see me and will come to the front of the tank and, for lack of a better word, wiggle.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You've been given excellent advice. Great looking fish! Sadly, we can't always have all the fish we'd love to have. In fact, I'll bet that's the case with most of us here. The health and well-being of your fish, as well as meeting their individual needs, really needs to come first.

leeishom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A Sneaky Fatman said:
after redecorating yesterday, I came home to find that both my oscars were hiding in the corner and wouldnt come out. this is strange as they are usually very happy to see me and will come to the front of the tank and, for lack of a better word, wiggle.
From what I've read about redecorating; this changes up all the territory of what each fish claimed as their own. Give them some time to readjust, but I wouldn't redecorate often.
My fishes hated the driftwood, duckweeeds. They wouldn't eat nor greet me until I removed all of it.
Even if aggression is obvious, just as long no physical damage is present, it's ok. It would induce stress.

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
(Sigh).... Well got home from work today and the Oscars were nonresponsive once again and hid. Been thinking a lot about it and considering rehoming all of them.:-\ Want to get the placo out of the 29 anyway:;br. But I don't have a budget like I did when i started this and don't want to half way do things. But REALLY want to do the Oscars. I am at an loss on what to do, any suggestions not listed above?

I had a thought while going to get my pizza rolls out of the microwave. What if I rehomed the JD and one of the oscars, put the Pleco in the 55 with the one ocsar and redid the 29 gal with some other fish and the Gourami, or would I need to break out my old 10 gal for him?

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Took back one of the oscars and the JD this afternoon, man they are hard to catch. Redid tank with my 11", yeah I thought it was seven, Pleco in mind. Made the pleco a PVC elbnow covered in the large black stones and put the slightly smaller cave object in the Oscars favorite corner. He loves having a huge cave to hide in and yes I realize this will not be enough in the long run but am prepared to make the jump to a larger tank, or will be in a few months anyway.

Took a good hard look at my 29 gal and decided I was going to cycle it as I really need to know more about the Nitrogen Cycle. Gonna Put the Gourami into my old 10 gal tank with a 2:1 ratio of his old water and some of the new tanks water and slowly cycle out the old water with the new until i can cycle the 29 properly will purchase the API master test kit tomorrow as the strips I have are infuriatingly imprecise and do not test for ammonia

The Oscar was stressed a bit after all the commotion but has taken to the new aquarium and the solitude like a champ and after a bit of coaxing came out and greeted me like he normally does, the whole wiggling thing. He eats like a hog, is it normal for them to have a large appetite or is it stress related?

Wanted to thank all who posted advice here and will be posting some pics on my profile with updated readings and stocking so check em out if you get bored. Once again. Thank youx

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A Sneaky Fatman said:
I had a thought while going to get my pizza rolls out of the microwave. What if I rehomed the JD and one of the oscars, put the Pleco in the 55 with the one ocsar and redid the 29 gal with some other fish and the Gourami, or would I need to break out my old 10 gal for him?
Sounds good. Looks like you already started, why not keep the gourami in the 29? Sounds like you could make a very interesting community with that as a center piece.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
A Sneaky Fatman said:
Took back one of the oscars and the JD this afternoon, man they are hard to catch. Redid tank with my 11", yeah I thought it was seven, Pleco in mind. Made the pleco a PVC elbnow covered in the large black stones and put the slightly smaller cave object in the Oscars favorite corner. He loves having a huge cave to hide in and yes I realize this will not be enough in the long run but am prepared to make the jump to a larger tank, or will be in a few months anyway.

Took a good hard look at my 29 gal and decided I was going to cycle it as I really need to know more about the Nitrogen Cycle. Gonna Put the Gourami into my old 10 gal tank with a 2:1 ratio of his old water and some of the new tanks water and slowly cycle out the old water with the new until i can cycle the 29 properly will purchase the API master test kit tomorrow as the strips I have are infuriatingly imprecise and do not test for ammonia

The Oscar was stressed a bit after all the commotion but has taken to the new aquarium and the solitude like a champ and after a bit of coaxing came out and greeted me like he normally does, the whole wiggling thing. He eats like a hog, is it normal for them to have a large appetite or is it stress related?

Wanted to thank all who posted advice here and will be posting some pics on my profile with updated readings and stocking so check em out if you get bored. Once again. Thank youx
You've really done well! Congratulations on doing what's best for the fish. It's a hard lesson to learn.

In regards to the oscar appetite, that's totally normal! A fish's stomach is supposed to be the size of their eyes. Oscars have big eyes and they really don't know when to stop eating.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads