New 55 gal

ecnaj143

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I just got a new 55gal tank. I already have 6 neon's, 2 Cherry Barbs, 2 Clown loachs and 1 platy. Anyother idea's of what else can go in there?? Thanks in advance.

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Not much else with the clown loaches in there. They get quite large, 12+" and need lots of room.

ecnaj143

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Actually, these clowns don't get any bigger than they are, their mini clowns. I got them from a fish breeder. So, what else can go in there??

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
There are no such thing as mini-clown loaches. You were lied to.

ecnaj143

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Boxermom said:
There are no such thing as mini-clown loaches. You were lied to.
He's a friend, he didn't lie, he has had them for 6 months in a 30gal, he's turning it into a salt water so he giving them to me. They have not grown since he's had them. You know, with all this inbreeding goin on, who knows what deffects happen. So stop acting like you know all about fish. I come in here to get some help, then everyone gets all touchy. It use to be a great site, but I think I'll go to a different site. Everyone here acts like they know all about fish, besides, ya'll are to sensitive when it comes to them. Their fish, stop acting like they need to be treated like a dog or cat.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would truly expect them to be treated no less well than a dog or cat. All creatures in our care deserve to be treated well. Don't you think so really?

Rose

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi, I'm new too so I don't have a lot to offer, but I have read some small peaceful fish that get along with yours are Harlequin Rasbora, white clouds, hatchetfish and certain other tetra. I had a Red Eye Tetra that was very sweet and never bothered anyone, but one day she disappeared, never to be found. Her name was Zsa Zsa. Yes, I do have names for some of my fish..it probably is weird to get attached to a fish to some people...I'm too sensitive maybe...when I was young I had a parakeet that I loved, and when it died my best friend couldn't understand why I cried...she had dogs...but my mom never let me have a cat or dog, so I got attached to my bird...I have found honest, frank answers from the people on this forum, because they have been there, done that to everything I'm experiencing as a newbie...I've also experienced firsthand some bad advice from clerks at Petsmart who either don't know any better or maybe even to try to just get me to spend more money (?) I'd rather ask everyone's opinion here about stuff, than ask store clerks...of course your case is different..it is a friend with no hidden agenda! We all learn from each other's experiences...that's why this forum is good! I also read ghost shrimp and snails are cool! happy fishkeeping!  Denise

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
ecnaj143 said:
He's a friend, he didn't lie, he has had them for 6 months in a 30gal, he's turning it into a salt water so he giving them to me. They have not grown since he's had them.
They have not grown because he has stunted them. Thus, they will die prematurely. Stunting happens when they are kept in tanks too small for them or in conditions that inhibit their growth. Their outside stops growing but the insides continue to grow, basically squashing the **** out of them from the inside. Its a very inhumane thing to do. If you don't trust my word on it, do some research. Look it up. You will find ZERO information on mini-clown loaches, because they don't exist, but you will find a plethora of information on stunting, the causes and the very negative effects, suchas premature death.

I'm sorry if you don't like what you are being told but I'm telling you the truth. There is no such thing as a mini clown loach. They grow 12 inches or more when properly cared for and live decades. Yours will live a small fraction of that due to beingn stunted. Yes, we are sensitive to mistreated creatures and fish are included in that. Fish should not have less of a status as pets than a cat or a dog, and if you are willing to provide the proper care for a cat or dog, you should be willing to do no less for your fish. To do otherwise is inhumane, unethical and irresponsible. I will never apologize for trying to educate someone on proper care of their fish, or for actually caring about my fish as much as I do for my dogs. Sorry, that's just not going to happen. Ever.

ecnaj143

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Boxermom said:
ecnaj143 said:
He's a friend, he didn't lie, he has had them for 6 months in a 30gal, he's turning it into a salt water so he giving them to me. They have not grown since he's had them.
They have not grown because he has stunted them.  Thus, they will die prematurely.  Stunting happens when they are kept in tanks too small for them or in conditions that inhibit their growth. Their outside stops growing but the insides continue to grow, basically squashing the **** out of them from the inside. Its a very inhumane thing to do.   If you don't trust my word on it, do some research. Look it up. You will find ZERO information on mini-clown loaches, because they don't exist, but you will find a plethora of information on stunting, the causes and the very negative effects, suchas premature death.

I'm sorry if you don't like what you are being told but I'm telling you the truth. There is no such thing as a mini clown loach. They grow 12 inches or more when properly cared for and live decades.  Yours will live a small fraction of that due to beingn stunted.  Yes, we are sensitive to mistreated creatures and fish are included in that.  Fish should not have less of a status as pets than a cat or a dog, and if you are willing to provide the proper care for a cat or dog, you should be willing to do no less for your fish.  To do otherwise is inhumane, unethical and irresponsible.  I will never apologize for trying to educate someone on proper care of their fish, or for actually caring about my fish as much as I do for my dogs. Sorry, that's just not going to happen. Ever.
Maybe not called mini, but there are small ones. Not all grow to be 12", so don't call someone a liar when you don't know everything.

Small Clown Loach

Scientific Name: Botia macracantha
Grows to: 7"
Temp Range: 74-80
Number to Buy: 1 more
Hardiness: B

General: A colorful and popular bottom dweller; adults are hardy and long lived; juveniles are more delicate. They are secretive and like to hide during the day. Keep them warm.

Diet: Feed a variety of quality foods including Algae Tablets and greens

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know the site and it is notoriously incorrect with lots of its information. They are all the same fish and are NOT minis or even small loaches. They are stunted.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Boxermom said:
ecnaj143 said:
They have not grown because he has stunted them.  Thus, they will die prematurely.  Stunting happens when they are kept in tanks too small for them or in conditions that inhibit their growth. Their outside stops growing but the insides continue to grow, basically squashing the **** out of them from the inside. Its a very inhumane thing to do.   If you don't trust my word on it, do some research. Look it up. You will find ZERO information on mini-clown loaches, because they don't exist, but you will find a plethora of information on stunting, the causes and the very negative effects, suchas premature death.

I'm sorry if you don't like what you are being told but I'm telling you the truth. There is no such thing as a mini clown loach. They grow 12 inches or more when properly cared for and live decades.  Yours will live a small fraction of that due to beingn stunted.  Yes, we are sensitive to mistreated creatures and fish are included in that.  Fish should not have less of a status as pets than a cat or a dog, and if you are willing to provide the proper care for a cat or dog, you should be willing to do no less for your fish.  To do otherwise is inhumane, unethical and irresponsible.  I will never apologize for trying to educate someone on proper care of their fish, or for actually caring about my fish as much as I do for my dogs. Sorry, that's just not going to happen. Ever.
I have not heard of mini clowns either, but I think this thread has gone off track and not being productive anymore. Even if they are regular clowns, they could very comfortable live in that 55 gal. tank for quite awhile, which is almost twice as big as what they are in now. How about adding 4 more cherry barbs?

ecnaj143

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Boxermom said:
Yes, I know the site and it is notoriously incorrect with lots of its information.  They are all the same fish and are NOT minis or even small loaches.  They are stunted.
Oh yes master of fish. You know all, I wish I knew as much as you. Your worng about that site, I have got plenty of good and accurate info from that site. I think you just don't want to admit your wrong.
Gunnie said:
Boxermom said:
ecnaj143 said:
They have not grown because he has stunted them. Thus, they will die prematurely. Stunting happens when they are kept in tanks too small for them or in conditions that inhibit their growth. Their outside stops growing but the insides continue to grow, basically squashing the **** out of them from the inside. Its a very inhumane thing to do. If you don't trust my word on it, do some research. Look it up. You will find ZERO information on mini-clown loaches, because they don't exist, but you will find a plethora of information on stunting, the causes and the very negative effects, suchas premature death.

I'm sorry if you don't like what you are being told but I'm telling you the truth. There is no such thing as a mini clown loach. They grow 12 inches or more when properly cared for and live decades. Yours will live a small fraction of that due to beingn stunted. Yes, we are sensitive to mistreated creatures and fish are included in that. Fish should not have less of a status as pets than a cat or a dog, and if you are willing to provide the proper care for a cat or dog, you should be willing to do no less for your fish. To do otherwise is inhumane, unethical and irresponsible. I will never apologize for trying to educate someone on proper care of their fish, or for actually caring about my fish as much as I do for my dogs. Sorry, that's just not going to happen. Ever.
I have not heard of mini clowns either, but I think this thread has gone off track and not being productive anymore. Even if they are regular clowns, they could very comfortable live in that 55 gal. tank for quite awhile, which is almost twice as big as what they are in now. How about adding 4 more cherry barbs?
Thank you, I think I will add 4 and some more neon's. I have ALOT of room, especially since its 55 long and the fish I have like the long.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom