New 55 Gal. Build

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Bryan Scott Rose, Jun 19, 2018.

1. B

Bryan Scott Rose New Member Member

Hello all. I just used the calculator @ Aqadvisor. It told me I could have way more fish than I think. I would like to believe it but not sure if I can.
    55 gal moderately planted.
    75 gal filter.
    1/2Organic substrait (cant remember the brand...was at Petsmart), 1/2 small black gravel.
    150w heater. Using Seachem products.
    Water change 33% per week.
    Led (low light) hood (from Top fin Kit).

8 Cherry barbs,
    10 Lemon Tetras,
    10 Neon Green Rasbora,
    10 Espei Rasbora
    10 Glowlight Tetras,
    4 Peppered Cory
    2 Kuhli Loach,
    4 blue pearl shrimp

That seams like a ton. I was willing to forgo one or two of the schooling fish so I could increase the # of others. Might have to get rid of loaches/cories.

before I used the calc I was thinking...

8 Cherry Barbs,
    10 Lemon Tetras,
    18 Neon Green or Lambchop Rasboras
    6 corries
    6 blue shrimp...maybe...

I have cycled the tank and have the cherry barbs. They are super happy. have been in there a couple weeks now. Ive had tanks in the past but never as serious as I am now. Any thoughts?

2. OP
    OP
    B

actualy...the Neon Green Rasbora # on the calc was 18. Sorry.

3. NYFishGuy

NYFishGuy Valued Member Member

Loaches would probably be better with barbs as they stay on the bottom.
    I'd cut the tetras/rasboras and just have cherry and gold barbs

4. jehorton

jehorton Valued Member Member

The rule that everyone seems to follow is 1" of fish for every gallon. Use the expected adult size and add from there. Its hard to not overstock but at the same time I have this tank to house fish and hopefully have them flourish.

5. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

That rule is incredibly flawed due to varying body types. It would suggest a 10" fish could go in a ten gallon, when in reality it would be unable to turn or swim.
    That being said, the main issues I see is that kuhli loaches require a group of 6, as do cories. It's probably better to do just one of the bottom feeders. Also, these guys require a sand substrate. I can't advise on the tetras, I'm not so good with those guys. Most would swap one school for a centerpiece fish, so you have that option. It may be too much activity in the mid level.

6. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

What was the aqadvisor stocking %? IMO you shouldn't go above 85%.

7. OP
    OP
    B

I've decided against the loaches. The % was 93. My wife is scared to have more than 35 in the tank. (its because of that rule I think). I might forgo the glowlight tetras.
    This will do for a while I think. Ill add 1 group per week or so and keep an eye on the levels.

8 x Cherry Barb (Puntius titteya)
    6 x Panda Cory (Corydoras panda)
    8 x Lemon Tetra (Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis)
    12 x Espei Rasbora (Trigonostigma espei)
    12 x Microrasbora kubotai (Microrasbora kubotai)

Recommendations/Warnings/Suggestions/Notes:

Recommended temperature range: 73.4 - 80.6 F.  
    Recommended pH range: 6.5 - 6.5.
    Recommended hardness range: 5 - 12 dH.

You have plenty of aquarium filtration capacity.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 143%.
    Recommended water change schedule: 19% per week.
    Your aquarium stocking level is 72%.

That may keep my lady happy too...for a while. :) I would have gotten rid of the cherry barbs and added a less nippy fish but...I already have them. We will see how it works.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  8. OP
    OP
    B

Ok... so I have a 55 gall tank and my stock is as follows....
    7 Cherry barbs
    2 Peppered corries
    4 panda corries
    2 albino corries
    2 lemon tetras (6 died)
    32 neon green rasboras
    13 Lambchop rasboras
    9 rasbora hets
    7 oto cats
    5 nerite snails
    5 Mystery snails
    7 amano shrimp
    20 ghost shrimp

This think is running like a charm with tons of plants. I dont really need to do water changes but once a month or longer. Nitrates hovering around 10 with once per week easy green fert dose. All these fish are just so small. I feel like the bio load is very low. I think Aqadvisor is off on this one. It has me at like 110% load. My only issue is staghorn algae. It seams to not be spreading now at least. Any thoughts on this setup? I think i could get my lemon tetras up to 8 and still be ok.

9. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Why do you have such an incomplete school of cories? Either you increase one species and drop the rest, or increase them all to 6.

10. OP
    OP
    B

That is the plan. I had a few die off and am trying to get 6 of one type (pandas). Ill bring the others up to 6 as well as I can in other tanks.

11. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I would skip peppered cories in either tank. They really limit your other options since they need much cooler water than other fish. 72f is their maximum but they do a lot better around 66-68f.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice