New 50g Plumbing Of Sump And Canister Together

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Alex420, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Alex420

Alex420New MemberMember

Hello guys,

I am now trying to put together my first big 50 gallons. I have bought it used.
    It came with a Fluval 305 and a sump (Aqueon ProFlex). The tank is also predrilled with some PVC going through it. The PVCs are different lengths. i am planning to use sand btw (not sure if it plays a role here)

So while trying to figure it out, what goes where many questions pop into my head.

Can some1 please explain to me how to put a system like that together as i can't wrap my head around it. i would like to use the sump and the canister somehow together but if i can't use both, i rather have the sump.

One thing that is important for me is to have a system that is secure and prevents any leakage on the floor.

The only way i see this working for now is putting those 2 separately. The Canister will have it's in/out on the right side of the tank. And the sump(running on a separate pump) will be using one of the pvc (lower one) as an intake, add another water output somewhere and use the 2nd PVC (taller) to connect to sump in case of overflow.

What do you think?

2. david1978

david1978Fishlore VIPMember

Im wondering if they used the canister to pump the water from the sump tank back into the main tank or is there another pump with it for that?

3. OP
    OP
    Alex420

Alex420New MemberMember

no other pumps were included. If needed, i'll get another pump that's not a problem.

I would love to set it up that way, just one thing. How do i get the water from the tank to the sump? Gravity? seems logical but what happens if/when my canister pump is off?

4. david1978

You would fill it till the tank overflows and fills the sump half way. Thats it no more, then the canister would pump the water into the main tank and as it fills it overflows back to the sump.

5. OP
    OP
    Alex420

Alex420New MemberMember

And that is it? o_O I have been trying to figure this out for a couple days now. Thank you very much. It looks pretty straight forward from here.

Any specific product you can recommend to wash tha aquarium inside?

6. david1978

Usually i just use salt as an abrasive, a new untreated kitchen sponge and water to clean up a tank.

7. OP
    OP
    Alex420

Alex420New MemberMember

Cool, thank you :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice