New 45g Tank -- Rainbowfish & German Blue Rams? Advice? Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by nbalaw2016, Jun 15, 2019.

1. nbalaw2016

nbalaw2016Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +40
    Hey everyone!

I'm in the process of setting up a new 45g tank that is close to finished cycling and I am exploring my stocking options. I'd like to keep the tank relatively underpopulated, and am comfortable raising a school of rainbows, ideally 5-7 of them. I'd like to pair them with one German Blue Ram, if that combination is advisable, or a larger but similar cichlid, such as a Bolivian or yellow ram. I'm also open to pairs/trios of the same kind of cichlid or mixing and matching South Americans to go well with the rainbows, and would also appreciate any thoughts on the right kind of rainbows.

Ideally I would also add a single pearl gourami, but I have read mixed comments about gouramis and cichlids.

Thanks very much for your advice--I appreciate it!

2. McFly

McFlyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Personally, I would not mix Cichlids with rainbow fish. Cichlids are territorial, and depnding on your choice, aggressive to a varying degree. German rams are less aggressive, but I've never paired them with rainbows. My current rainbow tank has nothing but "community fish", and are doing very well.

Boesman and Turquoise Rainbows are colorful and active, my current selections.

Good luck with your set up!

3. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,319
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hello and welcome to fishlore . I have a 45 with 10 forktail rainbows and 5 gbr and other fish. All is good would put up a pic but that’s not working today

4. OP
    OP
    nbalaw2016

nbalaw2016Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks for your thoughts. My ideal set up is 6 rainbows or perhaps giant danios as they seem like they can outrun any aggression the cichlids have, 3 Bolivian Rams or GBRs, and 1 pearl gourami. Any additional comments on that setup, or same basic idea as McFly's caution above? If the general consensus is to avoid rainbowfish/danios with the smaller South American Cichlids, I will recalibrate and perhaps see how three pearl gouramis (1m/2f) work with a school of rainbows/danios.

Again, thank you!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019