Funny New 40b setup!

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Got my 40b set up, though not for the fish I had planned it to be for! :hilarious:
69C35F5C-9CF6-49DD-902E-4BA8DA23AA68.jpeg

7F4521AC-043D-4EB5-9E10-09AF8495CE8A.jpeg

9ADA6D81-08E1-4C72-9BF1-839FD6268407.jpeg

F39B6E08-800E-465F-A810-735AA7B9DBF3.jpeg

2 Australorps, 3 gold lace Wyandottes, 1 Plymouth Barred Rock, 1 Amberlink

Super excited about these little cuties - I hadn’t planned to get chicks again this year, and was instead going to get some older pullets, as I was going to be busy with school. However, now that we’re quarantined, I have the time to raise the chicks! I didn’t have any totes on hand large enough, and the kennel I usually use is taken, so into my 40b they went for the time being lol

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh they’re just too cute!

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Chicks? Chicks? You put chicks in your fish tanks? What do you do when they start flying around the house ?

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
jake37 said:
Chicks? Chicks? You put chicks in your fish tanks? What do you do when they start flying around the house ?
:p By they start getting too big for it, I should have the normal kennel freed up and they can go out in the chicken coop lol

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
jake37 said:
I'm sorry, did I miss something? Why did you respond with "Sad"?

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Awesome, they should give you plenty of eggs!

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
You're gonna lock em up instead of letting them fly around the house :( We had a blue jay once that our cat chased and we caught just before she pounced on it. We had no clue where the nest was so it was either keep it or give it to the cat. After a few months it started flying. Then I went off to camp before we could decide with to do with it (I was like 10 or 12 at the time). It mostly stayed in the shoe box where we fed it (cat wasn't allowed in my room while we had the blue jay; cat was unhappy with me and made it clear it wanted to play with the blue jay). Anyway that is my experience with self aviator machines.

Dewclaw83 said:
I'm sorry, did I miss something? Why did you respond with "Sad"?

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jake37 said:
You're gonna lock em up instead of letting them fly around the house :( We had a blue jay once that our cat chased and we caught just before she pounced on it. We had no clue where the nest was so it was either keep it or give it to the cat. After a few months it started flying. Then I went off to camp before we could decide with to do with it (I was like 10 or 12 at the time). It mostly stayed in the shoe box where we fed it (cat wasn't allowed in my room while we had the blue jay; cat was unhappy with me and made it clear it wanted to play with the blue jay). Anyway that is my experience with self aviator machines.
Are you serious? This isn't the same thing as having a fledgeling blue jay.

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
jake37 said:
Ah, well, these are chickens, they don’t fly :) They’ll stay in the (very large) kennel until they’re old enough to free range with my older chickens :D

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Not overly serious after all it would be a bit messy having birds fly in a house - they don't exactly learn to use the litter box.
-
My sister used to keep chickens in the back yard for the eggs. I'm actually not a big fan of birds though the hawks used to amaze me.

scarface said:
Are you serious? This isn't the same thing as having a fledgeling blue jay.

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Those are adorable chicks! I had wanted to get some this spring, but being too busy with both fish and dog stuff, am waiting (impatiently) to get them next year

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
AquaCaitlin said:
Those are adorable chicks! I had wanted to get some this spring, but being too busy with both fish and dog stuff, am waiting (impatiently) to get them next year
Thanks! And I’ve totally overloaded myself with stuff to do during this quarantine (which is good with me lol) between school, fish, training three horses, and now the chicks, I’ll definitely keep busy lol

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Dewclaw83 said:
Thanks! And I’ve totally overloaded myself with stuff to do during this quarantine (which is good with me lol) between school, fish, training three horses, and now the chicks, I’ll definitely keep busy lol
I’m off work, which gives me so much free time as well, I don’t know what to do with myself!
I will be getting a kitten soon (another reason I decided to hold out on the chicks) which I am VERY excited about, but it will definitely be time-consuming, especially with properly introducing my 2 dogs to the kitten.

I have a feeling by the time this quarantine is over I will have twice as many pets as before

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
AquaCaitlin said:
I’m off work, which gives me so much free time as well, I don’t know what to do with myself!
I will be getting a kitten soon (another reason I decided to hold out on the chicks) which I am VERY excited about, but it will definitely be time-consuming, especially with properly introducing my 2 dogs to the kitten.

I have a feeling by the time this quarantine is over I will have twice as many pets as before
Ooo that is exciting! And yeah, I feel that :hilarious:

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Tell us more about the horses. My sister use to help train show horses.

Dewclaw83 said:

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
jake37 said:
Tell us more about the horses. My sister use to help train show horses.
Well, one of the three is a horse I’m leasing until his new owner can fully pay him off (long story). He’s a dun tobiano paint horse, and was previous a trail horse that took out public trail rides. He I can do whatever I want with, really. I am starting to teaching him some trail obstacles (the arena kind) and get him going over some smaller jumps.
This is Bandit:
FE16C52D-E622-401D-9845-B592D11DF37B.jpeg

5B542BCB-4967-4143-8DA4-D9D85385FA48.jpeg

And yeah, he’s just kind of perpetually muddy because he likes splashing/rolling in the pond lol

The second horse I’m not doing a whole lot with. He caught his foot badly in a hay feeder and so was lame for quite a while, so I’m just giving him a refresher and getting him back in working condition a bit. He’s a chestnut draft cross (what exactly that cross is, I don't know) who is usually used for endurance races.
This is Merlin:
DC2BC9C6-F098-452F-AD5F-C095F56043FB.jpeg

11B87C2A-DE9E-463F-BC25-05A70C575C4C.jpeg

And the third horse is a young stallion I’ve worked with a few times before. He just needs a refresher on his ground manners, lots of strength ing exercises, and he was just started under saddle a month or so ago, so I’ll be building off that a touch. He’s a smokey grulla quarter horse (the owner is planning on breeding him to two mares this summer for the first time and I am super excited to see the babies!
This is Vanzi:
49881C07-300A-449C-945F-9C9D72BF68E4.jpeg

2713A3E3-425D-43B3-9D6C-CDFD4096CA41.jpeg

D0417247-9A14-4023-AC00-BB0BDA5B0FA6.jpeg

He’s hard to get a pic of because, despite my best efforts, he has yet to understand that personal space is a thing

New Threads