New 40 gallon breeder saltwater build - Page 2

kanzekatores

The goby is doing much better now; about half the time he's swimming out with the other fish. I've gotten him to eat every few days too. I will get some brine shrimp along with the Tail Spot blenny and another snail.

kanzekatores

Hi just an update.
Everyone is doing great! I have requested the tail spot blenny and am waiting from the fish store to see when they get it in stock so I can go over there.
Here are some pictures of the fish:

You must be registered to see images

kanzekatores

The goby has gone missing again. Up until now he's been very healthy and shown no refusal to eat. Now he's gone again, but I'm not worried since he showed up last time.

Since my lfs is taking forever to call about the blenny, I was thinking I'd call again and see if I could get a firefish instead. Or maybe both if they have them.

Another update is that there are baby snails in the tank now, and I think they're mediterranean nerite babies. I've seen 1 or 2 once and a while on the live rock.

Here is my long term plan for stocking this tank: (Is this a good plan?)

Fish

2x Clownfish (Ocellaris & Mocha)
1x Yellow Clown Goby
1x Tail Spot Blenny
3x Banggaii Cardinalfish
1x Exquisite Firefish Goby
1x Flameback Angelfish
1x Six Line Wrasse

Invertebrates and plants

1x Emerald Crab
1x Peppermint Shrimp
1x Blood Red Fire Shrimp
1x Cleaner shrimp
1x Orange Linkia Starfish
2x Nerite Snails
1x Astrea Turbo snail
2x Nassarius Snails
2x Bumblebee snails
1x Electric Blue hermit crab
1x Bubble Tip anemone
1x Red Macroalgae
1x Hawaiian feather duster
1x Tridacna Crocea clam

Corals

Candy Cane Caulastrea (Pink/Green)
Xenia (White)
Clavularia (White/Yellow)
Club Finger Coral (Pink/Yellow)
Turbinaria (Yellow)
Zoanthids (Pink/Green)
Thick Finger Leather Coral (Yellow)
Toadstool Mushroom Leather Coral (White)
Cauliflower Colt Coral (Purple)
Birdsnest Coral (Purple)
Brain Coral (Green)
Tree Coral (Pink)
Staghorn Acropora (Yellow)

Rcslade124

You have a good plan. I would think about only 1 cardinal. They can get mean and attack each other and end with 1. Also watch the angel. They are reef safe with caution. I took the risk with a coral beauty so I'm in the same boat.

kanzekatores

They still do not have the blenny so I got a Purple Firefish instead!

kanzekatores

I've been by the tank adding tank water to the bag and I've noticed both clownfish rubbing themselves on either the live rock or substrate. I looked it up and apparently they do this if they are irritated from ammonia levels or something similar.

I tested the water, and nitrites and nitrates come up as zeros, and the ammonia does too if you use the card for saltwater that the store gave me, but the color doesn't line up as well with that as it does with the 0.25 on the freshwater chart. I'm confused of what the level is and don't want my fish to be irritated

What should I do at this point? I've experienced small levels of ammonia in all of my tanks and had trouble cycling them through. Should I get a RedSea test kit to help me know what's going on?

Rcslade124

I'm pretty sure your tanks been up long enough to process ammonia. Do you have an algea or cyanobacteria outbreak? That could be using your nitrates up. Other thing could be ich or flukes.

kanzekatores

I'm pretty sure your tanks been up long enough to process ammonia. Do you have an algea or cyanobacteria outbreak? That could be using your nitrates up. Other thing could be ich or flukes.
Ok thankyou. There is some algae but in all the times I’ve tested nitrate it hasn’t fluctuated from a clear 0. I did a water change to help clean the water for the clownfish today. I think I will order a RedSea test kit.

My firefish is doing okay, but mostly hiding behind live rock. I think it needs some time to warm up to the tankmates.

kanzekatores

I need some help with food. Does anyone know what firefish like to eat. I've gotten him to eat a few pellets but he spits them right out.

kanzekatores

Unfortunately the goby has not showed up I think we've lost him. But the clownfish and firefish are doing good.
I will see if they have a tail spot blenny and if not, I might get a couple banggaii cardinals

kanzekatores

Say hello to my new cleaner shrimp!

kanzekatores

I got two new kind of invertebrates: astrea snails (x3) and scarlet reef hermit (x1). They are attached below.

I wanted to ask a question if anyone has advice. For a long time I’ve had no nitrates in the tank when I tested but as I’ve been told it’s been too long to not be cycled. I do have a lot of algae in the tank though so I think that’s the cause. If it is cycled, would it be an okay time to get into corals and/or get an anemone for the clownfish? I’ve never kept corals so which ones would be good for a beginner? And what equipment would I need? Thanks

Rcslade124

High power light needed for anemone. You can do softie and lps. Mushroom, duncan's, zoa's are all beginner friendly

kanzekatores

High power light needed for anemone. You can do softie and lps. Mushroom, duncan's, zoa's are all beginner friendly
Thanks. I think for corals you need to add some stuff to the water like calcium and magnesium too? Which ones are necessary to keep beginner corals?

Rcslade124

Beginner corals will be fine with regular water changes. You need to be able to check alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium. Alk and cal are the main 2. With most softies and lps regular water changes will replenish. Eventually when you get alot of corals and they are growing you will need to either dose alk,cal. Or alot of people use kalkwasser in their ato to replenish.

kanzekatores

So I think what I called "Mediterranean Nerite Snails" before were actually Mexican Turbo Snails. They grazed the tank clean of algae in about 48hrs and I think they died from starvation. Now that we are having an algae problem, I thought I could get only one of them (the ones that died before were 3 of them) and hope that clears up the algae. I got one mexican turbo snail at the store today to help clear up algae

The astrea snails have been helping somewhat, but I wanted to get one of these big snails again to help clear algae, and once it's cleared, I'll be getting a bubble tip anemone. Also at the store today when I got the new snail and some RO, I was looking at the corals they had there, and liked the look of the hammer corals. I was hoping those are easy enough to be beginner level. Here's a picture of the new turbo snail

kanzekatores

Finally I’ve got the anemone! From what I’ve heard from the people at the store they’re very interesting and I’m excited to keep it. Unfortunately one of the three astrea snails died but the other two are very good at cleaning algae off the rock. Today I got three more. Everybody is doing very well.

kanzekatores

About a day after I put the anemone in, I found it curled up being attacked by the peppermint shrimp. When my astrea snail died the peppermint shrimp was eating it as well. So, I returned it to the store. I didn’t want it to bother my anemone and we don’t have aiptasia anymore so it’s not really needed anymore.

Unfortunately two more of my snails died as well. One astrea snail and my turbo snail. I’m not sure what’s going on.

When I was at the store I got a replacement shrimp. Instead of a peppermint shrimp, I now have a fire shrimp. I’ve attached him below.

And last of all, when I was at the store I got a RedSea test kit and when I tested with this new kit, it showed zero ammonia and nitrite, and about 15-20 nitrate. I’m happy to know that my tank is cycled now.

kanzekatores

So everything is doing well, the anemone is looking pretty healthy, but today when I turned on the light there are tons of baby snails. I researched what eats them and apparently triggerfish do, but they’re way to big for my tank. Is there a more efficient way to get rid of all these baby snails other than just picking them off the glass?

kanzekatores

Got a new fish today! A Banggai Cardinal. The people at the store say you can have two if ones a male and ones a female, so I might go back for another sometime.

kanzekatores

I think my anemone is on death's door. I don't know what I could have done better, it got plenty of light, and a pellet per week. Idk if it's better to leave it in at this point or not, but I've read about it looking like this before it dies

kanzekatores

I’ve had some pretty bad luck lately. I lost a nerite snail and the cardinalfish has gone missing. The anemone is still looking unhealthy but I relocated it to a place with better flow and light so i hope it will start doing better. But everyone else is doing good.
Today I got another emerald crab to help with the hair algae in the rock. This time it is a red variation:

kanzekatores

Got a new fish today! A tail spot blenny. I will try again with the cardinalfish once my lfs has it in stock

kanzekatores

So I thought I'd give an update. Everyone is doing well and the anemone is doing a little better but some days looks really small and somedays looks really big. But its starting to get its bubbletips back at least. We recently did a big water change and the tank was looking nice after so I've attatched some pics below.

I have two questions. First of all, just one day after the big gravel syphon and water change, the sand already had that brown algae on it again. What is a good way to prevent this (will some bottom dweller eat it?) and how much light would be good to be enough for the anemone but not enough for a ton of algae?

My second question is if I can replace the flameback angelfish in my stocking plan with a yellow tang? I know a 40gal is slightly small for them but if I do more water changes will this be doable? I'm asking because the live rock gets lots of hair algae and I heard yellow tangs will eat hair algae, and I also think a big yellow fish will look really good in my tank. Then my stock will be:
2 clownfish, 1 firefish, 1-2 banggai cardinals, 1 tailspot blenny, 1 yellow tang, 1 sixline wrasse, 1 royal gramma

Rcslade123, AquaPhilNJ do you guys have any advice on these issues?

AquaPhilNJ

I don't think people will agree with the yellow tang idea. I don't want to admit but I did try a Acanthurus blue tang, (a few year ago) it was very small. Seems like it ate fine, and if I remember correct you need to feed tang's the seaweed which I did. IMO it got stressed because my tank not wide enough and died, was only 55 gallon, he swim all the time mostly in a circle and was semi-aggressive. I won't try again; unrelated butterflyfish also went bad for me.

Using snails or anything to control algae or dinos, diatoms, never worked out for me. Note dinos will be brown and may produce small bubbles, this can be caused by over using carbon, or over doing WC where nitrate and/or po4 are basically zero. Either case causes bacterial imbalance, if you have good bio-load and proper nitrate po4, then algae/dinos can't live b\c bioload is using those nutrients.

To help remove dinos and algae you could dose H202 (hydrogen peroxide). Turn off the water flow, using syringe place h202 directly on affected area. Rule of thumb i hear is 1ml per 10 gallons, but for my tank seems is impossible to add too much, nonetheless start small be careful. This is short term solution if bacterial imbalance remains, adding MicroBacter7 could help. Double check nitrate and po4 balance, and ensure is not too high or low.

kanzekatores

I don't think people will agree with the yellow tang idea. I don't want to admit but I did try a Acanthurus blue tang, (a few year ago) it was very small. Seems like it ate fine, and if I remember correct you need to feed tang's the seaweed which I did. IMO it got stressed because my tank not wide enough and died, was only 55 gallon, he swim all the time mostly in a circle and was semi-aggressive. I won't try again; unrelated butterflyfish also went bad for me.

Using snails or anything to control algae or dinos, diatoms, never worked out for me. Note dinos will be brown and may produce small bubbles, this can be caused by over using carbon, or over doing WC where nitrate and/or po4 are basically zero. Either case causes bacterial imbalance, if you have good bio-load and proper nitrate po4, then algae/dinos can't live b\c bioload is using those nutrients.

To help remove dinos and algae you could dose H202 (hydrogen peroxide). Turn off the water flow, using syringe place h202 directly on affected area. Rule of thumb i hear is 1ml per 10 gallons, but for my tank seems is impossible to add too much, nonetheless start small be careful. This is short term solution if bacterial imbalance remains, adding MicroBacter7 could help. Double check nitrate and po4 balance, and ensure is not too high or low.
I'm not sure if whats in the gravel is dinos, but if it is, will putting in H202 affect the fish or anemone? I don't want to cause harm to anyone in the tank. Also would it be okay to get a juvenile yellow tang? I want a fish to help with the algae but all of the fish that eat it are very big (tangs, rabbitfish, etc.) Would it be okay to try the tang for a few weeks and return it if it looks stressed?

AquaPhilNJ

I'm not sure if whats in the gravel is dinos, but if it is, will putting in H202 affect the fish or anemone? I don't want to cause harm to anyone in the tank. Also would it be okay to get a juvenile yellow tang? I want a fish to help with the algae but all of the fish that eat it are very big (tangs, rabbitfish, etc.) Would it be okay to try the tang for a few weeks and return it if it looks stressed?
Don't take my word alone for it, you can google for example "hydrogen peroxide reef tank". I tell you I've done it with success and without issue. I don't recommend tang because using snails or fish to control something never worked out for me. Removing a fish is a hassle and I've never tried returning one. I don't see corals on the rock you could just remove it from the tank and then put h202 if want to be safe, note h202 turns back into water when exposed to light. If adding directly into tank as I said "Rule of thumb I hear is 1ml per 10 gallons ", and try google :- ] good luck

kanzekatores

So I tried Dino X, and shortly after my cleaner shrimp and one of my snails died. It made me paranoid so I stopped putting any in. One of my emerald crabs also died (this was before I put in the Dino treatment). I’m not sure if the Dino treatment did this but when I talked to the people at the store they said to put in less of it. I put in 8mL so next time I will try only 3 mL every few days or something.
Another unrelated thing is that my blenny had some white fungus or worm or something on its gill a few days ago but it’s gone away. It also had a sunken belly so I got some algae wafers for it at the store today. It has looked pretty healthy ever since so maybe it was nothing.

Anyway I got some new critters today: a new cleaner shrimp and astrea snail, cerith snails, and three electric blue hermits.

kanzekatores

Got some new fish and snails a few days ago: a royal gramma basslet, a few more astrea snails and some bumblebee snails, and a chocolate chip starfish. I had a couple astrea snails die a few weeks ago but other than that everyone has been good.

kanzekatores

Got a lot of new stuff today! Two fish, a sixline wrasse and a tomini tang. The people at the store said it cleaned hair algae which there’s a lot of in the tank. So I decided to get this instead of the yellow tang. I think these are the last fish we will get. If anything we will get one cardinalfish but that will be it. Then we also got our first coral! A zoanthid, it’s purple and orange I think. The store workers said it is a good starter coral.

Zach72202

Really nice selection of fish man! I love the Tomini Tang. I plan on either getting one of those or an Atlantic Blue tang here in the future! You should update it with a new picture of the coral when its opened and a full tank shot!

Baylum

Ah yes a tang in a 40. I trust you are returning it in a few weeks? Have fun catching it.

kanzekatores

Ah yes a tang in a 40. I trust you are returning it in a few weeks? Have fun catching it.
He's seemed fine so far and the people at the store recommended it. I will always view returning it as an option but so far he seems happy and healthy.
So I know I'm reaching my capacity stocking-wise but my tank still has a few problems I'd like to address: hair algae and pest snails (which I've identified as sundial snails). I know a lawnmower blenny would be helpful with the algae and a melanurus wrasse would be helpful with the snails, but those in conjunction with a cardinalfish would make my tank overstocked. It's already pretty full. I've done some research and am going to try treating the hair algae through GFO, getting snails like turbo + margarita, spot treating H202, water changes every week, and the possibility of a refugium.
But with the snails I think they'll be hard to eliminate through just picking them out. Would half a dozen more bumblebee snails take care of the problem? Any advice welcome.

Also I removed the coral since it wasn't doing so well. I don't think it was so much a problem in the tank as manhandling and being knocked off by the fish/inverts. I set it on a rock but it fell off into the substrate more than once. Then when I was trying to pick it up with a net it broke and a worker at the lfs told me it would release a toxin so I took it out. What methods do people use for making their corals stay put (gluing, tying, etc)?

The tank has been good otherwise, just a few astreas got knocked off and taken advantage of by the hermits. Other than that everyone new has looked good (wrasse, tang, etc) but the tang hasn't eaten any algae like I was told they would. I will try to get some pics soon and will try again with the corals with my next trip to lfs.

kanzekatores

So I got something new last night but forgot to get a good pic and now the lights are off. I'm trying again with the corals, this time I got a tree coral frag. And since getting knocked off the live rock is what I think caused the problem with my last coral (zoanthid frag), so this time we got a little cheap tube of aquarium glue (much cheaper than the epoxy) and glued the plug onto the rock. More of the plug is showing than I would've liked (it doesn't look very natural) but I'm hoping it'll do well and grow out more.

Some bad news is that the wrasse has gone missing for a while now, and my last emerald crab died yesterday, along with a few snails over the past few weeks. But we did a water change before putting the coral in yesterday so hopefully that will help things.

I'll put in some pictures soon, the tank is looking pretty good, the royal gramma and tang have been doing well, had no problems so far. The anemone is also hanging on, and recently moved itself up onto the top of a rock and is getting some light. It doesn't look much like an anemone anymore, but I can see some new tentacles growing in. I'm surprised it's alive at this point since it hasn't had anything to eat in months; the shrimp steal anything we give to it.

kanzekatores

Okay I've got the photos!

kanzekatores

Got some new stuff a couple days ago: a new coral (clavularia ? maybe, I can't remember the name but the store workers said it was easy), a replacement sixline wrasse (fingers crossed on this one), and two emerald crabs. The tank is doing well, with the exception of a lot of hair algae. I am hoping the emerald crabs will help with that. I also got rid of the anemone finally the other day, during a water change. The tree coral has grown a lot, and is doing very well! Taking the live rock out and gluing the bottom of corals to it seems to work out well for me. Also the royal gramma has been bullying the wrasse a bit and the clownfish have been territorial too, hopefully this will go away soon enough.
Here are some pictures:

kanzekatores

Hi everyone,

I’m sorry to say we will be closing this tank down. I have two larger tanks and the maintenance is very hard to keep up with, plus with the new school year coming around we have decided to take a step back so we can concentrate on more important things. So I’m going to be leaving the hobby :( at least for a while. Thanks so much to everyone for their advice and support! I learned so much on here.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tallen78
Replies
Views
Rcslade124
Replies
Views
TheWalkman
Replies
Views