New 38 Gallon - Help With Stocking Plan

FishyMishy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello, I’m new to the hobby and getting my 38 gallon set up. I have a Marineland 38 gallon bowfront kit so it came with a Penguin Bio-wheel 200 filter, a heater and LED lights. I’m trying to keep it simple, so artificial plants for now.

The tank is set up and cycling, I’m now planning on what fish to get.

I’m debating on a centerpriece of a Angelfish or a Dwarf Gourami in a community tank. I’m a bit apprehensive about both as I understand Anglefish may eat smaller fish and Dwarf Gouramis can be susceptible to disease.

At this time I’m trying to come up with a plan for the community, I’m thinking:

6 Cardinal Tetras
6 Cory Catfish
Another school?
Mystery snail (should I get more than one?)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I say, if you can find a healthy DG, do this:
1 DG
10 Cardinal Tetras
8 Cories (what species?)
You can get a few snails, do you want them to breed?

FishyMishy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
emmysjj said:
You can get a few snails, do you want them to breed?
Not necessarily, I don’t want to be overrun with snails.

For the Cories, maybe Panda Cories.

Should I add another school for some more variety?

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The mystery's will breed and you can just throw the clutch away, if you don't want them.

I thought you had a 28 gallon. Oops! What other schools are you interested in?

FishyMishy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
emmysjj said:
The mystery's will breed and you can just throw the clutch away, if you don't want them.

I thought you had a 28 gallon. Oops! What other schools are you interested in?
Not sure on the other schools, there are just so many intetesting fish out there. I’d be open to suggestions.

FishyMishy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes, so many to choose from. Rummy nose tetras or harlequin rasboras might be nice.

I supppose I would need to be more careful to avoid nippy fish if I was going to go with an Angelfish. I suppose there are more options if I go with a Dwarf Gourami.

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Correct me if i’m Wrong but rummy nose and harlequins are tight schooling, quick lil fish. I really don’t think the angel can catch them...but maybe at might?

Drawf gouramis would be my choice.

You have room so maybe a dozen rummys and a dozen harlequins. But they kinda both compete for the same space, top/middle.

Cherry barbs do get close to 2” but have small mouths and hand middle/lower third so you could replace either rummys or harlequins with cherrys (6).

FishyMishy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hmm so now I’m thinking:

Dwarf Gourami
10 Cardinal Tetras
8 Panda Cories
10 Rummy nose Tetras or Harlequin Rasboras
Mystery Snail

Does that seem like a well balanced population? I know I’ll be putting the Gourami in last. Any advice for what order to add the others? Or does it matter?

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know about having three schools I would get rid of one of the tetra schools that seems like a big bioload especially with the cories

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
With a 38 I think you will be fine.

I’m doing a very similar stocking in a 29, but just one school of schoolers, harlequins.

Corys (bronze) and 1 drawf gourami.

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
OneLittleBubble said:
I don't know about having three schools I would get rid of one of the tetra schools that seems like a big bioload especially with the cories
They said 'or'

FishyMishy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for all your input. I went to go buy some cardinal tetras but had second thoughts as I understand they aren’t the most hardy/adaptable fish.

I ended up taking the safe route and started with 3 zebra danios. Glad I did, they are fun to watch . I’ll get three more in there in a couple weeks.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FishyMishy said:
Thanks for all your input. I went to go buy some cardinal tetras but had second thoughts as I understand they aren’t the most hardy/adaptable fish.

I ended up taking the safe route and started with 3 zebra danios. Glad I did, they are fun to watch . I’ll get three more in there in a couple weeks.
I keep my Cardinals at 77, 120GH, 180KH, PH 6.8... The other breeder in town keeps them at 88, PH 7.4, and way softer water... I'd say they're pretty hardy.

capecodder

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have your exact tank with live plants. I have 2 dwarf BG, 6 neon tetras, 6 zebra danio and 4 panda cories and 3 tetras. I have a few shrimp. I think I'm going to get more neon tetras for a big school and maybe a few more zebra danio's. The tanks doesn't seem crowded at all...

freshwaterr

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi! I also have this exact tank that I am working on currently. Mine is going to be with live plants too and I was thinking about similar stocking options. Let me know how it turns out! What color dwarf gourami are you planning on getting?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom