New 36 gal tank stocking and cycling

Fishymom64

Hello everyone! So I just bought a 36 gal tank and have kept betta tanks and a 10 gal community tank in the past. I have a few questions regarding stocking and the tetra QuickStart. I have cycled tanks in the past by just adding ammonia but it has always taken a really long time. I don’t want to rush things and have the water not be safe for fish but I’ve read so many controversial reviews. Can you please help? Should I use it or will it mess my cycle up? I’m adding plants and water tomorrow and once the tank is cycled I’ll add the fish. I originally was going to get a 29 gallon but the 36 was on sale so I like the extra room. I was planning:
12 cardinal tetras
6 sterbei corydoras
Two honey Gourami’s (either a pair or two females?)
2 Bolivian rams (I’ll add those a bit later)
Will all these fish do well together? Should I get another small school? I appreciate any advice and if you see a problem please let me know!

Pfrozen

If you wanted to do a fish-in cycle you wouldnt be able to put all those fish in there all at once anyways. You'll have to start with 3 to 5 maybe. If you want to get your tank fully stocked all at once it might be better just to do a fishless cycle by adding ammonia. I mean, if you really wanted to, you could do fishless with safestart lol. I don't see why not

Fishymom64

Oh! I’m sorry I wasn’t clear I’m not wanting to do a fish in cycle, I was really asking about the stocking and the QuickStart to help the process along.

Pfrozen

Fishymom64 said:
Oh! I’m sorry I wasn’t clear I’m not wanting to do a fish in cycle, I was really asking about the stocking and the QuickStart to help the process along.
Oh my bad! Yup you can totally use safestart to jump start a fishless cycle! It's basically just bottled bacteria that you would find in nature. Safestart uses true nitrifying bacteria so it's the good stuff. I think the negative reviews are mostly because tetra advertises "add fish immediately" when really you still have to monitor your water for ammonia and nitrites for a few weeks afterwards lol. Imo it's a perfectly safe and fine product!

Fishymom64

Thanks that helps a lot! I have a quick question- what are all these rules and reviews about not testing the water? Like I get that The ammonia Might spike but is that a reason not to test the water? Or is that just false information? Sorry about all the questions

Pfrozen

Definitely test your water either way. For fishless an ammonia reading of 4ppm ish is ideal, for fish-in you never want your ammonia and nitrate readings to go above 1ppm combined. I'm not sure why some people are saying not to test your water but if you got an ammonia spike of 2ppm or something during a fish-in cycle and all your fish died you would feel pretty silly! Ammonia toxicity is dependent on pH as well, so i think some people get lucky and assume it's all good if their own fish can survive 2ppm ammonia soup. Who really knows though. In your case you would just be testing to monitor the progression of your cycle, no fish to worry about anyways :)

SinisterCichlids

I agree with Pfrozen advice on the safestart and testing water. I just wanted to quickly comment on your stocking. I think all of those fish are well suited for one another. I agree with adding the rams after the other fish.

Fishymom64

SinisterCichlids said:
I agree with Pfrozen advice on the safestart and testing water. I just wanted to quickly comment on your stocking. I think all of those fish are well suited for one another. I agree with adding the rams after the other fish.
Ok thank you so much! This helps clarify things.

BluMan1914

Pfrozen said:
Oh my bad! Yup you can totally use safestart to jump start a fishless cycle! It's basically just bottled bacteria that you would find in nature. Safestart uses true nitrifying bacteria so it's the good stuff. I think the negative reviews are mostly because tetra advertises "add fish immediately" when really you still have to monitor your water for ammonia and nitrites for a few weeks afterwards lol. Imo it's a perfectly safe and fine product!
On top of this, (which I totally agree with) make sure that its the TSS+, and not just regular TSS. Male sure that you get the very nig bottle, and use the whole bottle, its a one shot deal.
Make sure you know how to use it correctly.
On top of all that, the most impirtant thing.....DO NOT TEST while your tank is going through the cycle. Wait until its done at the end of the two weeks, after you do your water change to test. This will let you lnow if you are cycled.
If you test during the cycle, you will get readings that will make you think that the TSS+ is not working, and you may do things to try to correct it, which is a very big no.
One last thing, make sure you shake it very well before using.

Fishymom64

What is the difference between tts and tts+ if I may ask? Are you talking about the concentrated bottle? Thanks btw

BluMan1914

Fishymom64 said:
What is the difference between tts and tts+ if I may ask? Are you talking about the concentrated bottle? Thanks btw
Sorry for the long delay in a response.
Regular TSS is to be used with every water change. The TSS+ is used one time, when you first use it to start your cycle.

Top Bottom