New 35 gal!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by klutz10154, Dec 14, 2012.

1. klutz10154

klutz10154 Valued Member Member

ok so I'm starting a new 35 gal, yes,yes, already know about the cycle and that stuff so I have to go through that first, but I was thinking about having 2 Dwarf Gourami, 1 Betta, 6 cherry barbs, 2 corys, and maybe some other fish. I was wondering what other fish would go well in the tank with these mates or if y'all are going to advise me against any of these. I have done a little research but I still like getting your opinions!

2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi,

Congrats on the new tank :). Fishless cycling is the easiest way to go so that's what I'd do in case you were wondering how to cycle.

With stocking you're gonna have to switch that around a bit. Two Dwarf Gouramis need at least 55g because they fight so much. So I'd go with just one or two Honey Gouramis. Honeys are much nicer to each other. Betta is an absolute no-no with gouramis. A betta will see a gourami as another betta and constantly fight. Plus they are solitary fish and normally don't do well in community tanks. Cherry barbs and corries are a great idea. Schooling fish so you need at least six of each. But I'd do 10 cherries so you have a nice big group. How does this stock sound:

1x Dwarf Gourami
    3x Sword Tails ( 1male/2 females)
    10x Cherry Barbs
    6x Panda Corries
    + Ghost Shrimp

The Swords will give you some nice activity near the top of the tank with the DG and the cherries and corries will stick around the bottom.

3. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

How big do the sword tails get? I suppose I forgot that I'll be switching my 3 mollies over to the new tank once its over. as far as the corys go we have 13+ babies that are about a week old now but if they survive we're going to put some of them in the tank... we just don't know what kind they are yet lol there are bandit, sterbai, common green, spotted and agazzissi and 4 different sets that could be parents!

4. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

If you add the mollies, you will have to drop the swordtails. Mollies carry a very large bioload.

5. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

yeah that's what I was figuring. they're in my 10 gal now and I'm going to start using the 10 as a quarantine/maternity tank.

6. RogueAgent94

I agree. Either mollies or swords.

That's awesome! I hope all the baby corries survive.

7. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

I hope so too!

8. Eienna

I love babies :)

9. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

Me too! they're sooo cute!

10. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

possible problem with the new tank.... it looks like either while I was filling the tank I splashed a little too much and got it on the outside of the tank as well and I didn't see it before OR it has a slow leak on the bottom that's taken all day for much water to appear... what do I do if is leaking??? there's 35 gal of water in it already to get started!

11. Eienna

If you can reach with your garden hose, put it in the tank (nose underwater) and turn it on until the tank starts to fill. Then, leaving it running, unscrew the hose and put the end you just unscrewed in a flower bed or something, taking care not to let the tank end get above the waterline in the tank. The water in the hose will create a siphon and you can just siphon it all into the backyard! (Note: once the hose is unscrewed and water's coming out the newly unscrewed end, you can turn the spigot off.)

12. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

Thats an awesome way to do it! thank you! so far again all I have is a wet towel that I had against the tank last night. the water level didn't change though

13. RogueAgent94

Sorry to hear it may be leaking. Weird that a new tank would leak. Clean up the wet area really really well and then put some dry paper towels around the tank. Wait a couple hours and if any of them get wet then you know it's leaking and where.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice