New 32 gallon hexagonal tank

1. reds Member Member

Good morning. I am getting a 32 gallon hexagonal tank and I'm not sure what fish to put in it. Currently I have a 10 gallon tank with a male Betta and some Corry cats. I would like some stocking suggestions for top middle and bottom. The measurements are 11" width per side and 24" height.

2. jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

Are you moving the betta into the 32 gallon hex? I would move the cories into the 32 and leave the betta alone in the 10 gallon. Anders247 and TexasDomer are great with stocking (as are many other members whose usernames I am not as familiar with :) )

3. reds Member Member

No the Betta is staying in the planted 10 gallon.

4. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

Here, use this: http://aqadvisor.com/
    for 'dimension' choose a tank similar to yours, (ie. 30 gallon Hex), then choose a filter from the dropdown arrow, then 'display suitable species for your tank'. Hope this helps.

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

6. reds Member Member

I have an albino and bronze.

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

It'll be a little tight, but you can do a school of 6 albinos in this tank.

For the upper levels, what about a school of ember tetra?

8. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

You could also do celestial pearl danios instead of ember tetras.

9. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I agree cories should go into new tank as bottom feeder. Cories don't belong in a 10, with that, you can do like 6 cories and some sort of schooling fish above them. Then if you want you could put shrimp in the Betta tank to keep him company.

10. jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

...until he gets hungry enough to eat his company. .

11. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Haha I don't think they'd be in danger of being eaten. As long as they're large enough, like Amano shrimp. Cherry shrimp maybe, babies definitely. I keep Amano with my Betta and they're more than half his size. Plus if you have plants they can pretty much disappear when they want to.

12. jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

Good to know! Maybe my betta will get some tankmates then! I doubt it though...he has been super grumpy lately and flaring at me every time I go to fed him.

13. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Let us know how it works out haha. I also looked into getting a Bamboo shrimp which is larger than a Betta actually, but my store didn't have any and I didn't wanna wait around so I got some Amano. Just told them to pick out the biggest ones in the tank haha.

And yeah all Betta are different. Some will mercilessly hunt them down and kill them even if they can eat them but some are fine with them. Mine didn't even harass them at all, which I was surprised by. Figured he'd at least stalk them and flare at them.

If you're super worried about wether it'll work out you could try ghost shrimp instead since they're dirt cheap. Amano are a little more expensive but I prefer them to ghosties.