New 30g - What Kind Of Fish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Fanatic, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

We recently got a 30G Square Tank from someone who was selling it.

Because of this, we are unsure of the types of fish we have. The only obvious one would be a pair of albino cory cats.

Can you help me identify the other types? We think they are are some kind of gourami, and sucker mouth catfish.

-------------------------------------------------------------

We also are interested in suggestions for other tankmates. We havent gotten any mates, or live plants yet because we get it set up and running before doing anything else. IMG_8249.JPGIMG_8253.JPG

Attached Files:

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

Hello!
    Although I'm not completely sure, the Gourami looks like an Opaline Gourami, but it is somewhat difficult to tell because the pic is a little dark and i can't completely see the patterning and color. The other photo (not the corycats) is a chinese algae eater (CAE) they are somewhat notorious for eating algae and veggies when young and then additionally eating slime coats (and less algae although they continue to eat veggies) of other fish when they older (and bigger). They especially prey on flat/slow fish because they're easier for them to latch on to. Some people have had negative experiences with them, and some have found that their CAEs don't do anything. Personally, I had 2 CAEs that were about 8 inches in my Angelfish tank (before I knew about their notoriety) and I never had any problems with them. So, keeping them is up to you.

Hope this helps!

3. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

Looks like a three spot gourami. I see two so I would return one as this tank isn't big enough for both especially if they are both males as they will fight.

I'd also return the CAE. They can get up to 10 inches long and again, not appropriate for your tank size. As mentioned, they get pretty aggressive as they mature.

I'd up your shoal of albino corys (make sure to get the same species) to 8-10 as they are shoaling fish that do best in as large a group that your tank will allow.

Before you get more stocking suggestions on what to add, can you tell us the tank dimensions?

4. Feesh404

Feesh404Well Known MemberMember

Really? It looks like an Albino Cory (IMO)'

5. KinsKicks

KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

Lol no , the attached image 8254, under the Cory image

6. Feesh404

Feesh404Well Known MemberMember

oh, nvm sorry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice