New 300w ehiem jager

Status
Not open for further replies.

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So, I bought two 300w eheim jager heaters. I used to have an ebojager heater that lasted me like 15 years so I figured I would go with the jager again. I didnt think one would be enough but after reading about them i saw that it said it was rated for up to 280 gallons. Do you think one will be enough for my 180 gallon tank? Supposedly this is the first time jager is making a 300w heater. What do you think?

OP
swervo513

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That is exactly what I was planning on doing. Thanks for the advice and if it happens to be enough I will have a brand new jager 300w for sale =)

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice heater!

You'll need to be patient with this one. 180G is a lot of water to heat, and will take time to get up to temperature. You'll also need your filter or a powerhead up and running to keep the water flowing around the tank. (transfers the heat quicker)

For the sake of a couple of dollars, I would invest in 2 or 3 glass thermometers and position them around the tank to give you an overall temperature. Once the tank stabilises temperature, and you're confident, you can remove the thermometers if you don't want them hanging in the tank.

Once up to temperature and stable, also, keep an eye on the 'on' light on the heater to make sure it is switching off (i.e. not running constantly). Once up to temperature, it's also a large volume to cool, so it should maintain a pretty steady temp.

Your setup is coming along quite nicely now

OP
swervo513

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks ryan!

Do you think 1800 gallons per hour from a mag drive is enough? Or should I add a power head?

I am going to take it slow with this one so I get everything right. You're right about the on light for the heater being on for too long. If that will be the case I will put both heaters to get the temperature up and running and remove one if I must.

Thanks for the great feedback!

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Unless you live somewhere particularly cold, 1 will be enough. I bought a couple of these a bit over two years ago for my 180gal. I started with both in but ended up removing one of them when the tank got redone. It's now fairly cool here & the heater is only on for a couple of hours during the day & on & off a few times overnight. It comes on for about 30mins at night then goes off for about 1 hour.

I've always used Jager heaters & only ever had one fail on me (a 300w). That's out of about 40 Jager heaters that I've owned over the last 10yrs though so I reckon that's a pretty good strike rate.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I saw in your other thread that you purchased two heaters. As Nutter has said, the one 300w should do just fine. I'm glad though that you bought two. If one fails the other will be there for back up.

I recommend that you place your thermometer inside the wet/dry filter, tide pool area (where the pump will be). This will give you a more accurate reading.

I think your Mag Drive 1800 will do a great job. I don't really see a need for a power head at this point. Your overflow box will create enough water movement and provide more than enough oxygen for your fish.

Looking forward to more updates!

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 67 67.0%