Thanks. So you kept the stock filter (which may have carbon in it) and it cycled?
So if I understand it correctly, here's what going to happen:
1. buy my 30 gallon tank next week, set up decorations/gravel, etc.
2. fill with Prime treated water, let stand for minimum of 24 hours.
3. I think I will get 3-4 zebra danios first (unless folks think others are better).
4. shake and dump the TSS into the tank.
5. for 14 days just feed the fish and test (and do nothing basically).
6. after 14 days, do a 50%+ water change and it should be cycled?
Good luck!! You will be fine!!Thank you everyone for your advice. Bought a giant bottle of TSS at my PetSmart (for some reason the bigger bottle is cheaper than the smaller one, and they price matched a ridiculously cheap online price). So I will get my 30 gallon on Black Friday and set it up on Cyber Monday. So excited!
I plan to use 1/3rd of the TSS in my other 5 gallon betta tank.
Here follow this:
D1 big water change with good vacuum. Dose conditioner with water replacement.
D2 wait wait wait. Your conditioner needs to sit for 24 hours plus before you dose your tss
D3 remove your carbon. whole bottle tss in. Wherever you want. In the filter, in the water column, in your mouth.... no the last one is not ideal.
D4-11 for the next week, do nothing, do not dose any water conditioner.
True true! They love the platys. I think one is pregnant (we went with a sorority but she appears to have been knocked up prior...).
Ah good point. The same reason why I waited 36 hours after putting in Prime. OK. Will monitor. But man, those platy girls (and 1 male who we thought was a female...dude looked like a lady!) poop up a storm. We've also cut back on feeding too as we overfed initially.
Ok thanks. How about another dose of TSS?This is why it is recommended not to test when using TSS...the results can make you do something that will cause it to fail, like doing a water change. Since you are using test strips, you don't really know how accurate the results are, so as long as the fish do not seem to be suffering the effects of elevated ammonia I would just wait it out.
Bear in mind I haven’t done deep gravel cleans and a lot of poop and some uneaten food are visible. Those probably add up. Seems my plants are doing its job so far too. Need that ammonia to get down. So two days test again and a 40-50% water change? I took some media from my cycled 5 gallon (some sponge filter cut and put into the HOB) and the prefilter sponge and put it in the 29 gallon to give that final push.
Yes, I'd say that sounds like a good plan. If you're concerned about the ammonia, you can get the seachem alerts that stay in the tank. I have one in mine and it always says 0 even though the API kit shows the tiniest bit of ammonia. The seachem alert is more sensitive than the API kit as well.
I believe it does. I think the difference has to do with free ammonia and not-free, and API doesn't differentiate them. I wouldn't say it's necessarily more reliable, but it's a better measurement of whether or not what's happening might be dangerous for your fish.
So if you use something like ammo-lock that locks up ammonia, it would still show up on the API test because the ammonia exists, but wouldn't show up on the seachem alert because of the form the ammonia is in. If that makes sense?