New 30 Gallon Stocking

1. sinned4g63

sinned4g63 Member Member

I finally convinced my brother to clean out his lizard tank (about 40 gallons) and fill it water that's been empty for going on maybe 6+ years now.. unfortunately the middle was bowed out by about 1/4th of an inch compared to the sides and was obviously not fit to house fish. So off to the fish store we went to get a proper tank, filter, and substrate. We picked up a 30 gallon that is 36in long and 12in deep (can't remember how tall) and some eco-complete substrate to get things rolling now the question is.. what can I put in it?! I have never had a tank this big and have no idea what I can put in it. I would like a big community tank and my brother likes bala sharks but I know they get far too big and turned him onto rainbow sharks and that's pretty much as far as we got. I wouldn't mind some schooling fish like my green tetras but I don't want that to be it. The tank had quick start bacteria in it which cycled my 10 gallon in about a week, if the 30 plays out the same it should be ready by next Friday. I will have a light and heater a few days after that which gives me some time to plan.

2. NYFishGuy

NYFishGuy Member Member

Rainbows call for 50G, so do redtail which look similar but slightly smaller.
    If you are ok with semi aggressive maybe some tigerbarbs.
    I really like the look of large schools and tanks with few different species. Everything just looks cohesive rather than a bunch of random fish.
    It also takes some self control, or a lot of other tanks to fill with all the different fish you like :)

Maybe consider adding a bunch more tetras some cory's and a dwarf gourami

3. OP
    OP
    sinned4g63

sinned4g63 Member Member

Thanks for the feedback, maybe won't be getting them then.. I wouldn't mind a bigger school of some tetras like I have in my 10g so that's a good choice for sure. I like the cory's to help with the algae and leftover food and would give me some variation over my Siamese Algae eaters and shrimp in my other tanks, any specific one you'd recommend? The gourami would be totally new though, If I can find a really nice colored one I'd be willing to give it a shot as a nice centerpiece. Anything else you might suggest? Still trying to get some options for my brother since it'll be in his room.

4. L

Lollipop0912 Member Member

Some really nice schooling fish that I’ve seemed to have great luck with are neon tetras. But, you could also try harlequin rasboras. (At least 10)make sure they have lots of live plants to hide in. For a centerpiece fish, you could do a dwarf gourami(they are less aggressive than a full gourami). Or you could try a beta. Both of these would mean ditching the sharks. You could also do salt and pepper cories. If your brother wanted, you could add some gost or cherry shrimp. However, the shrimp and cories (at least 6 cories) would need to be fed alge pellets. If you wanted to try plants, some great beginner ones are moss balls, anubias, swords, java fern and moss. You also could add some driftwood to make hiding spots. If you got cories, your substrate needs to be sandy. Hope this helps.

5. OP
    OP
    sinned4g63

sinned4g63 Member Member

Very much, thank you! The substrate we have is more like gravel, and I will for sure be putting plenty of plants in it. Just need to solidify a design.. the sharks don't seem to be an option due to size but is there anything similar that might be smaller?

6. OP
    OP
    sinned4g63

sinned4g63 Member Member

So I talked to him after work today and he really likes the betta idea. I want to get some neon tetras and for some variation a couple dwarf frogs if possible. Input?

7. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

I believe the ADFs will be victims.

I would cover the eco-complete with an inch or 2 of BDBS, less than $10 at tractor supply (rinse thoroughly). If you are planning a planted tank.

My personal stocking would be harlequin or glow light rasporas (9-11), 1 pearl gourami and 6-8 corys.

With temp at 76, I would go with peppers. In my experience they are the most active. But bronze would do well too.

8. OP
    OP
    sinned4g63

sinned4g63 Member Member

He is set on a betta to the point of maybe ordering one from Taiwan.. o_O the lfs also did not have a very appealing selection of gourami. As for the school I think the harlequins would be nice too and the corys I'd have to see what they have but I'm open to that as well. How come you recommend extra sand on top of the substrate?

9. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

I think the sand looks better and the sand will hold the plants in better. Plus the sand is way easier to clean since nothing falls into cracks.

Only drawback with sand is refilling during water changes. I siphon back in and stick the end of the siphon near the top where the stream will dissipate and not disturb the sand.

10. OP
    OP
    sinned4g63

sinned4g63 Member Member

Ah ok. Yeah the sand in my 10g is a lot easier to clean.. he is not opposed to getting some shrimp to help keep things clean too. I do have a few plants in the tank already but they are still rooting in. Hopefully they will get a decent hold before the fish.