30 Gallon Tank New 30 Gallon hex tank

rajimenez

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I just set my tank up with angelfish five of them. I had gold fish in this tank for 5 years put a few month ago all the gold fish died. So I decided to get Angelfish. What else can I put in with the angelfish and should I plant some plant and what kind

youngstermatt

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The five angels, when full grown, might be above the stocking limit, but they will love plants. Some hornwort or camboa would be a good space filler, and I'm a big fan of amazon swordplants, they make great specialty plants and they're relativly easy to care for, as long as you have a florecent light and you keep up on those water changes, that'll give them enough nutreance (20% per week is good) so that you don't need to buy fertilizers. Welcome to fishlore by the way

rajimenez

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The angelfish are about half inch in size.How big will they get? where can I get this plants at ? Thank you

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Rajimenez and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I hope you enjoy the site.

A link to Angel Fish that you may find interesting:

Ken

rajimenez

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
thank you everyone I need some help. My angealfish are geting stuck to the filter. it has a lot of Suction. what kind of filter should i get for a hex tank ?I have a midland 150

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I used a Aquaclear 50 for my 20g when it was setup, but for a 30g I would go for a 70. You can adjust the flow a little on the aquaclears.

Usually when fish get stuck to a filter means they are weak. healthy fish don't get stuck to filters....they are pretty small though...that could be the problem. Angels that small are pretty sensitive too. Take a piece of filter media/sponge, filter floss, stuff used for pillow stuffing but no additives and wrap around the intake for now and see if that will help. I used filter floss awhile back because I had some fish that were weak and it worked great until they got better.

Make sure you have a backup plan for the others incase you get a pair when they growup.....they get territorial as most cichlids do. And you'll see them testing each other....chasing....pecking. lol

Good luck with them! I love mine! They can take some work though....need clean warm (80-82) water.

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but 5 Angels just won't work in a hex tank. They need to establish their own territory as in one side of the tank or the other. In a tall tank they just can't do that. I hate that they sell Angels that small. They are just too small and weak at that age. If I were you I would take them back and switch them for a different type of fish.

An Amazon Sword would be perfect for your tank. In a tall hex it will be able to grow to its full potential. Another idea would be stem plants if you have enough light. You should be able to find the sword at any fish store that sells plants. They're pretty common.

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If it were a mated pair then I'd say that would be perfect. The thing is with young small fish like you have it will be a while before you know if you have pairs. If they end up being a pair or if you end up with two that aren't aggressive towards each other then two in a 30 hex would probably be ok. You could add some otos and/or a small school of Tetras.

With Angels people usually buy several small Angels, watch for them to establish pairs and then rehome the oddballs because they would be killed. I wanted to offer you an explanation for why you can't really do that in a tall hex tank.

Angels tend to establish pairs and each pair claims an area of the tank as their own. I move my pairs around from tank to tank but say I have 4 pairs in my 75 gallon tank, picture the tank with imaginary lines dividing it into 4 sections. Each pair will spend 90% of their time in their own section. When one Angel ventures into another pair's section one of the pair will quickly charge at him, letting him know to get out of their section. Now when one pair lays eggs or is about to lay eggs they claim a larger area of the tank and keep the other 6 Angels in like a fourth of the tank.

In a hex tank there may be 30 gallons but the space is all up and down and they don't establish territories on top of each other.

Are they still getting stuck to the filter? They are small fry and probably just came from a breeder's tank where there was only a sponge filter because they were weak from being young and couldn't avoid the intake of a filter. They are really just fry at this point and I wish they wouldn't sell them so young to unsuspecting people. They are so small, in fact, that you could probably just keep raising them as fry until they are big enough to give away. I recommended taking them back now because if you just bought them they may still be covered under the fish guarantee.

rajimenez

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I took the angels back and i don't know what to get what is a good fish to start with for my hex tank I want to get something that is good for a novice

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree with Jaysee. You made the right call in returning the fish. At this point, you should read the link (in my signature) about the nitrogen cycle. Then cycle fishless, and pick your stock. I actually think that eventually, one angel and a school of flame tetras would be great in a 30 hex.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
We recommend a liquid test kit rather than the strips. You can pick up the generic one on walmart.com for about 20 dollars. It's a generic of the API that almost every member uses.

Have you read the link on cycling? Read it when you get a chance.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Since you have had this tank since january, it is most likely cyceld, but the nitrogen cycle is still good to understand.

I would do a single angle (maybe find a store that sells them larger) and a school of smaller colorful fish (avoid neon or cardinal tetras as angel fish eat these, and avoid zebra danios or Glo-Fish as they will nip the angels fins). Then i would add 3-5 otos for the bottom

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would do a single angle (maybe find a store that sells them larger) and a school of smaller colorful fish (avoid neon or cardinal tetras as angel fish eat these, and avoid zebra danios or Glo-Fish as they will nip the angels fins). Then i would add 3-5 otos for the bottom
Would you do an acute or an obtuse angle?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom