new 29g setup

jrapp13

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I recently bought a 29g setup with a Whisper 30 filter, an unknown wattage heater, an air stone inside a plastic rock, several plastic plants and a hunk of plastic wood. I setup the tank and filled and left it for 48 hours to get the temp set at just under 80. My question is about stocking. I plan on putting in 6 zebra danios, a dwarf blue gourami, and a bristlenose pleco. Is that gonna be alright and is there anymore room for fish? I was planning on starting with the danios and safestart to get the cycle done before i got the other fish. Suggestions?

EDIT: Well water dosed with aquasafe. Does aquasafe get old?

Last edited:

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to fishlore. I think your stock looks fine. 6 danios and TSS should work, if you aren't inclined to do a fishless cycle. I ended up rehoming my danios, though. Just want to warn you that they are fin-nippy fish. If you already know this, cool. Otherwise, I wanted to give you a heads up.

Eventually, you may be able to add a small school of neons or something, too, if you wanted. But keep in mind that plecos are big waste-producers.

I think BNs like driftwood. Do you plan on having any?

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
+1 with what Meenu said. There is a general guideline of 1" of adult size fish per gallon of water. But that is for smaller fish that aren't large waste producers, so your pleco would prevent you from going with a full 29" of fish. But I think it would be safe to go to about 26-27 inches.

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to Fishlore! Can't say I had luck with the Dwarf Blue Gourami, though mine had the disease that is common to them and it didn't last. If you get the Gourami make sure to add it last since they are sensitive. Good Luck.

jrapp13

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ive refined my stocking list, 6 zebra danios, dwarf gourami, 6 neon tetras(eventually), and either 6 albino corys or 3 corys and 3 ottos. Which would be better for my bottom dwellers? 3 and 3 or 6 of one or the other? Additionally, tss did not cycle my tank. i still have rising ammonia and no nitrites. Been dosing with amquel to control it. Is there a thread where new fishkeepers can request seasoned filter media from local forum members with established tanks?

Last edited:

phil saint

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i you want to add otos keep in mind they eat algea and you wont have any algea i your tank at first, they can also be quite sensitive to water quality and they appreciate some bog or drift wood to settle on, if you want bottom dwellers corys are a good choice (mine are very very active).

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would say Danios are more spastic then nippers. Spastic as in they are constantly moving fast and everywhere. Not every fish will tolerate that constant spastic movement.

Oh and good luck trying to net the buggers if you plan on putting them in another tank later. I tried and failed.

jrapp13

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ive already trained them to come to the corner for food and ive netted one to separate him from the rest cause he seems to be the instigator. one constantly chases the others around. i think im gonna go to with all cories to make life simpler.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom