New 29 Gallon Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by AdamS, Apr 14, 2018.

1. AdamS

AdamS New Member Member

Hey guys so I just bought a 29 gallon tank with an aqua clear 70 filter and a hinged glass top. I haven’t bought a light yet or decided on substrate so I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on economical choices for either of those! I prefer darker substrate and I want to choose an led light that will be able to grow low light plants and is affordable. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Organic potting soil is so much cheaper than many substrates and will help you to grow healthy plants. You can top it with some National Geographic black sand from Petsmart.

3. K

Kristian Acevedo Valued Member Member

Look into NiCrew or Finnex lighting, both are good quality and grow plants just fin. I’ve also had success with the TopFin standard light strips (not the hood knes, a full bar one) and all my plants grow slowly, but still grow with it

4. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

I have a finnex but it was over $100. I have a couple of Beamworks. They do just as well and were in the $40-$60 range.

Potting mix (organic) covered with black diamond blasting sand is the cheapest i’ve found but takes more effort.

5. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

Yeah I agree, black's great. I run Finnex Planted+'s, Finnex Ray 2, NICREW and Fluval 2.0 and 3.0 LED's here...some of the other ones tend to be a bit gimmicky, kinda like buying a new car: You can buy just the car for let's say $60,000 with NO "extras"...or buy the car INCLUDING all of the extras for another $10,000. (LED manual settings, light setting, preset, simulated environments, dimmers etc. Although sometimes dimmer ARE good though, but a good old fashioned timer seems more ideal to me, IMO) And as Hunter1 said, Beamworks has a ton of lights to choose from as well.

6. OP
    OP
    AdamS

AdamS New Member Member

So I’ve found that nicrew, finnex and beamworks all make very similar lights with regular white leds and blue leds. All of them say they will work with plants and are similarly priced. Do you have an opinion on which one would be of best quality or work the best out of those three brands?

7. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

The finnex planted 24/7 was already mentioned.

I’m not even sure which models my Beamworks are. I just search on Amazon, read the specs, than order.

The more features you add, the more it costs; built in timer, dimmer, red/blue/green LEDs.

Whoops. I just repeated what SFGiants guy said, except in my words.

There is a forum on fishlore that deals with lighting.

8. K

Kristian Acevedo Valued Member Member

The best out of all three brandon would probably be Finnex 24/7, but the NiCrew is a close second in my mind. I have a NiCrew on my rimless 6gal, and my plants grow faster than I can trim them

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice