New 29 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by chunkdaddy, Mar 24, 2010.

1. chunkdaddyValued MemberMember

Hey everyone,
    First, I'd like to thank everyone for their advice & opinions. Couldn't have survived without your help!
    Just got my new 29 gallon tank up & running this morning. Went ahead & got some tetra safestart & added it to the tank. Put my 4 fish ( 2 zebra danios & 2 ba tetras) in & their loving all that space. Can't believe they survived a month & a half in a 5 gallon tank.

I was wondering if my lighting was good enough for plants. The hood came with a 17w fluorescent bulb. I bought some plant bulbs at walmart & threw them in the tank, so we'll see what happens there.

Thanks

2. CharlemagneValued MemberMember

Let me know if the plants do survive, please. I'd be really interested to know, cuz I have a 29 gal. w/ a 17 watt bulb too. My mom would reeeally like some plants in it, and I would too. Do you know what kind of plants they are? Don't forget pics, everyone loves them!

3. OP
    OP
    c

chunkdaddyValued MemberMember

I'll let you know. I'm going to pick up a live java fern or 2 at petland today or tomorrow and see how that does as well.

4. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

Your lighting should be good for low light plants like Java Moss, Java Fern, Bolbitus Fern, Anubius & probably Water Sprite. The bulbs are a wait & see proposition. Some of them are low light plants, some are higher lighting plants. It's a wait & see what you have got & if they gow.

Being a 29gal tank it would be best for your plants if you can upgrade to a dual tube fixture at some point. That will give you a little bit more freedom with plant choice & get your plants growing better without needing to go into ferts & co2.

5. OP
    OP
    c

Bought one java fern on Wednesday and put in my tank. Seems to be holding it's own so far.

6. OP
    OP
    c

It's been a week and my java fern is doing fine. Hasn't grown any, but it isn't dying. Added a couple hornworts on Sunday, they seem to be doing good.

7. OP
    OP
    c

Just thought I'd drop you a note. It's been about a week since I put my java fern into my tank & it's still alive and looks good. Also added 2 hornworts on Sunday & they've started to grow just a little. The 5 bulbs I got at Walmart haven't done anything yet, but probably need another week or two before I give up on them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice