New 29 Gallon Seeding Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by AdamS, Apr 22, 2018.

1. AdamSValued MemberMember

Hello I just recently set up a new 29 gallon tank with an aquaclear 70 to move my Tiger Barbs to. I moved all of their decorations over but left the old substrate out because I switched to eco complete. I cut up their filter cartridge from the old tank and placed it under the new bio media in the aquaclear and my tank instantly cycled with no problems. My question is, will having the same amount of fish with the old filter media prevent new bacteria from growing on the new bio media? I ideally want to remove the old media as it is really old and dirty and takes up a lot of space in my new filter that I would like to use for some new bio media. How long should I wait to remove the old stuff?

2. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

I would let it stay in there for at least a month. By then the new media should be fully colonized with bacteria.

As to your concern. Yes, it will grow the same amount of bacteria as there is on the old media. I don't fully understand how it all works. I just know that it does. :)

3. AdamSValued MemberMember

Thanks that’s what I was thinking I’m just worried that when I do pull out the old media I’m still going to have to restart my whole cycle again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice