New 29 Gallon Fish Tank Stocking Ideas

BettaFishKeeper4302

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So i just got a 29 gallon 2 weeks ago. It is still in the box because i am building a stand for it with help from my step dad. We are working on it this weekend and if not i dont even know but anyways. I have no idea what to stock this tank with. So many fish to choose from. I was going to do two orandas but i just wanna see other ideas. I am chill with doing a community fish tank. I know it takes time to cycle and i know how to do it. I am going to try it with bacteria this time. Let me know what you think would look great in a 29 gallon.

Caleb Smith

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Axolotls are very unique animals and you could have 1-2 in a single 30 gallon. They have more personality than most fish and they are also very interactive.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
BettaFishKeeper4302 said:
So i just got a 29 gallon 2 weeks ago. It is still in the box because i am building a stand for it with help from my step dad. We are working on it this weekend and if not i dont even know but anyways. I have no idea what to stock this tank with. So many fish to choose from. I was going to do two orandas but i just wanna see other ideas. I am chill with doing a community fish tank. I know it takes time to cycle and i know how to do it. I am going to try it with bacteria this time. Let me know what you think would look great in a 29 gallon.
29 gallon planted tank setup:

15-20 celestial pearl danios
15-20 pygmy corydoras
1 paradise gourami
1 bristlenose pleco

This setup takes tiny fish that don't need much room, and by adding large schools of each you get a ton of interaction and activity. All species are tempo compatible, don't require a heater, and should get along.

Frozen One

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fahn said:
29 gallon planted tank setup:

15-20 celestial pearl danios
15-20 pygmy corydoras
1 paradise gourami
1 bristlenose pleco

This setup takes tiny fish that don't need much room, and by adding large schools of each you get a ton of interaction and activity. All species are tempo compatible, don't require a heater, and should get along.
This would be overstocking on a whole other level...

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Frozen One said:
This would be overstocking on a whole other level...
Depends on your plant load and filtration. Considering the tank has a 30" long footprint, and CPDs and pygmy corys barely reach an inch in length, I find it highly feasible to keep at least 15 of each. I see others on here routinely recommend 8-12 "regular-sized" corys for 20 longs all the time, and they can exceed 2" in length.

Here is my heavily planted 29 stocking. No water quality issues, no competition. I know for a FACT I am overstocked but I can get away with it due to my planting and good filtration.

14 white cloud minnows
7 peppered corydoras
1 albino bn pleco
2 blue mystery snails
4 nerite snails
2 Okefenokee sunfish
??? Amano and ghost shrimp
??? ramshorn snails

BettaFishKeeper4302

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
All your ideas are great but not really what i am looking for. Still open to more ideas though.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
BettaFishKeeper4302 said:
All your ideas are great but not really what i am looking for. Still open to more ideas though.
Betta sorority
Dwarf shrimp colony
Pea puffers
Paludarium with freshwater crabs
Blackwater biotope
Shelldweller cichlid colony
Axolotl or water dog
One fancy goldfish
Kribensis
Dwarf sunfish
Crayfish habitat
Vampire shrimp habitat