New 29 gallon aquarium

viking47
Here is my new 29 gal tank. I plan on re-arrange the rocks some and just got my plants and drift wood in the mail today. Should be a fun Friday night.
Current Stock
4 guppies
1 rubber lipped pleco
2 albino cories
4 ghost shrimp

The stack of rocks have some nice hiding places for the shrimp and pleco. Should I be concerned about other fish getting caught in the tight places?

corylover
very nice looking. I was looking at a 28 gallon bow front tank the other day I almost bought.

MissMTS
Lookin Good! Do you plan on putting a background on the tank? It would really help set the scene and make your tank look complete. Just so you know, cories are meant to be kept in schools of four or more, so you should plan on getting 2 more cories. As far as the tight places, I don't think you need to worry about the other fish. Your shrimp will love the hiding places though. Is your tank cycled?

viking47
re

I added the plants and driftwood last night. Driftwood isn't completly water logged yet. I soaked it for a week and boiled it for a few hours, still needs a rock to keep it down.

I am still debating putting a background on it. I think it looks good now, but I notice when I take photos it would look better with a background. Tank has been cycled for about 2 weeks, I am slowly adding fish now.

If I add more cory's, will they still school together if they are different colors? With the natural colored gravel, the albinos don't stand out very well.

corylover
that looks great. I like how you've built the rock into the gravel at the one side. the plants are nice too with the bogwood. very well done.

capekate
Great job on your tank set up! ;D I also love the cave of rocks you made for your Pleco, he must love it.

~ kate

MissMTS
Cories usually school together the best if they are the same kind, but I have a group of peppered cories with an odd albino one thrown in the mix and they are all nice to him, so it should be fine. What kind were you thinking of getting? Oh yeah, your driftwood and plants look great!

COBettaCouple
Looks good.

I would arrange the rocks so they don't have any gaps too small to fit your thumb into but so that they're secure and won't shift.

viking47
A few more changes...added the background (thanks for the advice). Plants are starting to grow in, especially the dwarf hair grass. Originaly I just took them out of the pot an planted with the rockwool, but didn't see any progress. So I spent an evening pulling of the rockwool and planting in bunches of 10-15 stems and it started sending out runners in 2-3 days. Alot of work but worth it.

I don't know what the next project is going to be. Any ideas? Unfortunatly my place is too small for another tank. My significant other would kill me I brought home another tank.

corylover
its really looking good now. I love the grass. is it hard to clean the tank with it in there?

COBettaCouple
It's really getting green and looking even better!

FishKing
Awesome aquarium!!!! Real nice guppies.

viking47
Thanks for the comments. The grass isn't very hard to maintain. The corys love to play in it and scavange extra food that falls in it. I run the gravel vac over the top of it and seems to pick up a lot of the large particles.

Swany
this is such a cool tank! I am getting a new 33 gallon tank (more long than tall) this weekend and I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it and after looking at your tank I really like the cave u made and the slate rock looks really cool also. I think I might steal your idea and make a little cave for my fishies lol (if you don't mind that is lol well anyway very very cool tank! ( o and the back round really makes everything else stick out, good job!)
-swany

viking47
Ahhh...you would not be stealing my ideas. It is a compliation of browsing many different forums and looking at others tanks. I am a newbie. If you get a rubber pleco, they will love the cave. When the lights are on he spends 90% of the time upside down under the center rock. At first he wouldn't let any other fish in, but now that he is comfortable, there is usually two fish and a shrimp hanging out in there. And during the night the pleco does a **** of a job cleaning the glass.

Swany
hey just curious about your grass down in the right corner, did u buy it like that or was it longer grass and did u cut it? what's it called? I really like the gras look so that's why I'm asking

jamison
WOW!!! Awesome tank! I like all the green.

viking47
It is "dwarf hair grass". It came potted and I removed the pot and the rock wool it was planted in. It is somewhat hard to remove the rockwool with out damaging the roots. I planted in clumps of 10-15 stems and used tweezers to insert it in the gravel. Its only been in my tank about a month, the lighter colored stems is the new growth since I planted it.

I read on other sites that it should be trimmed to promote growth. I cut off brown stems and about 1/2". On the far right of my tank it is full grown, about 3 to 3.5 inches. One thing I would recommend, if you are using regular gravel, you should add root tabs. In the places I have the tabs, it is getting the most new growth. If I had to do it again, I would spend the extra money and get "eco complete" substrate, but every thing seems to be growing well and I don't want to disrupt my fishes lives so soon again.

Swany
o ok that's cool, how many stems come in a pot? did u buy them at a lfs or a petsmart? I can't remember seeing anything like that when I went to them so I am wondering if my store has them or not. I like how that grass looks and if I can find it I'm going to put some in my tank, I'm excited I'm getting it this weekend and I can't wait to set it up lol

miker
Starting to look very good

Lucy
The tank looks really nice, I've enjoyed watching it evolve.

viking47
Swany.....I bought the grass from snip. None of the stores around me have much of a selection. If you look at the second set of pictures I posted, each clump of grass is the amount that came in one pot. I separated each one out to cover about a 6" x 4" area and let it fill in with growth.

bankruptjojo
so ill update my blog sometime but can't wait to post some quick pics.. here they are, the 125, some new driftwood I payed way to much for. they yellow buckets are all stuff that came with the tank, same with the crazy UGF. payed 300 for the tank and all the yellow buckets and the brand new sunsun canister filter.

also got some fish form LFS, ill post a vid I took of my lfs below. also threw some pics of my back yard, y not
I got
2 sae
10 cherry shrimp
3 ottos
4 yoyos

edit...... dose anyone know what brand of tank this is? it doesn't say anywhere, all it says is tempered glass do not drill.

Attachments

• IMG_20120911_190843.jpg
    IMG_20120911_190843.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20120911_190854.jpg
    IMG_20120911_190854.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20120911_190908.jpg
    IMG_20120911_190908.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_20120911_190913.jpg
    IMG_20120911_190913.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20120911_190936.jpg
    IMG_20120911_190936.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20120911_190948.jpg
    IMG_20120911_190948.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20120911_191031.jpg
    IMG_20120911_191031.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20120911_191043.jpg
    IMG_20120911_191043.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 124
Donnerjay
Way to go, jojo!

Congratulations!

(BTW, that's a heck of a backyard. Can I come over to play?).

jwhorner6
I actually like the painted sides and back...it looks nice and clean. I do look in the sides of my tanks a good bit so I might not like that too much but the back is def nice.

JoannaB
Oooo, aaaa!

Eienna
Wow. I want. XDD Nope, sorry, don't know.

jwhorner6
Also; your LFS looks really nice too. I wish I had one that nice close to me. The best one that is "fairly" close is That Fish Place That Pet Place and it is about 1.5 hour drive

bankruptjojo
yea I decided I'm just going to leave the paint, at least for now.

thanks my mom picked this house out. she passed away and now me and my dad are stuck in this big sucker. were putting it up for sale, your more than welcome to buy it

Also; your LFS looks really nice too. I wish I had one that nice close to me. The best one that is "fairly" close is That Fish Place That Pet Place and it is about 1.5 hour drive

its not really that close I have to drive 45min in rush hour traffic

APColorado
That is a nice LFS, I've never seen an LFS that plants their tanks only in their show tank.

Awesome find. I like the painted back too. The sides are a different story since I like viewing from the side as well.

I love your deck btw.

Nice driftwood.

bankruptjojo
That is a nice LFS, I've never seen an LFS that plants their tanks only in their show tank.

Awesome find. I like the painted back too. The sides are a different story since I like viewing from the side as well.

I love your deck btw.

thanks just stained the deck. I don't like it, at lest when staining

yea I love the wood that's why I paid so much. don't ask how much please

Donnerjay
thanks my mom picked this house out. she passed away and now me and my dad are stuck in this big sucker. were putting it up for sale, your more than welcome to buy it

Oh, I'm so sorry about your mom. Condolences to you and your dad.

bankruptjojo
thank you very much.

Eienna
Yeah

APColorado
thanks just stained the deck. I don't like it, at lest when staining

yea I love the wood that's why I paid so much. don't ask how much please

I won't...I can imagine how much that piece cost.

They sell driftwood at my LFS for $7.99 lb and that looks pretty heavy.

Sorry about your Mom.

bankruptjojo
thanks everyone it was 4years ago nov 8th.

yeah the store I got the wood from was the fanciest pet store I have ever seen! I was more like a art gallery. I asked to make a video of that one but the owner wasn't there. ill try next time. the wood cost around 150! but if you like it buy it, my bills might be a lil late this week

just filled the 125 and no leaks!

Meeps83
Congrats! It would be so fun to have a tank that size!

bankruptjojo
Congrats! It would be so fun to have a tank that size!

yeah well its my first so I guess I'm about to find out 40 gallon was my biggest so far so this is a big step up.

Tigress Hill
angelou
beautiful! i'm jealous!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
krazyone2006
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views