new 25 or 29 gallon tank

1. tbreso Initiate Member

Hey guys

So ive had a 10 gallon tank with a betta, 6 neons, 4 white clouds and a BN pleco for about a year now and i am really looking to branch out to better species.
    Im gonna get myself a 25 or 29 gallon tank in the near future (cant go bigger than that as i may move away to University next year and cant bring a huge aquarium). i plan to have it heavily planted in a Fluorite black substrate with a large driftwood center piece.

Ive been REALLY wanting to get a pair of bolivian rams so those would be the main fish in the tank. heres what I was thinking of doing:

2 Bolivian rams (pair)
    1 dwarf gourami
    6-8 Harlequin Rasboras
    and either 4 otos or 1 BN pleco

thats about it, but would there be room for maybe a small school of some smaller type of tetra also(like 6)?

2. cameronpalte Member Member

Just saying, I think your 10 gallon tanks are overstocked. A betta needs 5g by itself, so I recommend taking your 10g putting it in the 29 (recommended) and upping neon tetra's to 8 and work from there.

Do you know about cycling your new tank? Do you know about the aquarium cycle?

3. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

First, welcome to fishlore! :;hi1

Now the rams and gourami wouldn't be a good idea. They would fight a lot! You could choose between the pair of rams and the gourami.

You should strive for the most harlequins you can get. 8 would be good.

Otos require an established tank. Established means all parameters are stable. Ammonia and nitrite need to be 0. Nitrate should be 20 or less. pH should be consistent.

There's no room for another school. Sorry.

What method of cycling will you use?

Good luck!

4. tbreso Initiate Member

ok thanks
    im probably gonna have a filter like the aquaclear 30.
    and yeah i plan on cycling the tank for about a month before adding fish.