New 20g, cloudy 55g

1. Ap05 Well Known Member Member

Wife and I just got my 20g set up! Here it is! I have 2 neon tetras and a sword tail with tss in. Hopefully it cycles like it should.

Now to my planted 55g. Why is it still so cloudy? It's like it constantly has a milky white color to the water.

It's fully cycled. Numbers are right where they should be. When I first set it up, it was crystal clear. Ever since I added plants, it's been this.

My Java Moss had a ton of white junk in it whenever I would run the suction hose over it, so I ditched most of it. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Very nice setups! Attractive aquascaping. I'll say it before someone else does: I'd increase the tetra numbers to at least 5 to meet their schooling minimum.

On to your question. Your 55 does not look so cloudy to me (at least not from the picture). Could it be from mixing up that white sandy substrate?

3. Ap05 Well Known Member Member

I have 21 in my 55, I was just using the 2 for now to cycle the tank then move them to the 55. Thank you!

4. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Well to me your tank dosen't look that cloudy. It may cloud up from constantly moving plants around or decorations.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Kurty Member Member

Nice looking tanks does not look to cloudy although most of the time we tend to want something to be wrong just to stick our hands in there.

6. Ap05 Well Known Member Member

Thanks! It looks much more cloudy in person. I really hate the white gravel in the 55 now. Wish I had the natural. For stocking I plan to go with 2 Gbr and 5 cories.

7. fishingdeep Member Member

Nice set up! So can you share your water test results with us?

8. Ap05 Well Known Member Member

55g water levels are:
    Ph 7.6
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate between 10 and 20

Nitrate is actually between 5 and 10

9. Maxi1 Member Member

Very nice looking tanks!

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. celizabethh3 Member Member

I'm having the EXACT same problem with my 10g. The betta's tank and my 36 are crystal clear but no matter how many water changes I do, the 10 goes right back to being cloudy. I wonder what the cause is..

I just wanted to comment on your post so I can follow this thread and see if you find anything that is helpful. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. Ap05 Well Known Member Member

It just looks so milky! Pics don't show it very well at all. The 20 you can see is crystal clear and the 54 just stays hazy looking. Water changes don't help :/

12. Watermark Member Member

If the white gravel is new, that could be the culprit and will settle down as soon as you've finished moving things around. Perhaps adding some finer filter media?

13. Ap05 Well Known Member Member

Tank has been running for almost 2 months now, so no new substrate.

Did a 60% wc yesterday and it's back to milky. I have the regular blue filter media's in both of my filters. They're in tip-top shape with BB on them

14. Watermark Member Member

It's likely a bacteria bloom. I would ease off of the heavy water changes and add finer media, such as quilt batting in nylon hose

15. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I agree that it's likely a bacterial bloom. Love the aquascape in both tanks.

16. virusmk Well Known Member Member

Did you washed your gravel well? If so than the only think that i can come up with is a bacterial bloom which hapens to most new tanks. Just make sure you have good aeration because it gonsumes a lot of oxigen. It will go away on its own. Also frequent but small wc can help, but make sure that you wont disturb ur substrate.
    You can use fine media in filters and also carbon will help to purify ur tank water as well.

17. fishingdeep Member Member

So how much light is the tank receiving and how much food are you feeding them? Thanks

18. Ap05 Well Known Member Member

It definitely looks like a bacteria bloom. I had one while cycling but it only lasted 3 days and much cloudier.

Light is on from 6 to 9 am, and 5 to 10 PM with my work schedule. 110 watts 6500k CFLs

19. fishingdeep Member Member

So how much natural light is it receiving ?

20. Ap05 Well Known Member Member

None. I have light blocking curtains in the room right now