New 200 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Members Fish Tanks' started by Liz922, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Liz922New MemberMember

My new 200 gal. tank. I know these will all get much bigger. I also have a 90 & 75 gal when they start to crowd. Going for 350-500 gal within the next year.
    Running 2 Emperor 280 Biofilters plus a 200 gal canister filter.
    Jump started cycling. Ran canister filter on running 90 for 1 week allowing good bio's to build up and also transferred 30% of the water when I moved them to the new tank. Running for 3 weeks now. Hasn't clouded once. Doing weekly 10% water changes, filter rinsing, and glass scrub.
    Can't wait to set up my biggest. In final planning stages now.

Liz922

2. Liz922New MemberMember

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439345696.417615.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439345735.875283.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439345756.048038.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439345816.760322.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439345863.951084.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439345895.390799.jpg

Liz922

3. Liz922New MemberMember

4. mikerox29Well Known MemberMember

I must say that the black sand looks absolutely awesome in that tank. Makes the colours on the fish really stand out

5. Liz922New MemberMember

It's actually black rock. Have never used sand. Don't know much about +'s & -'s of sand. But thank you!!

Liz922

Just changed from tube lights to programmable LED's. Less power, extremely thin and light weight, and doesn't get hot!

Liz922

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2015
  6. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

Holy cow how do you maintain such large aquariums? I can barely change water for my 20 gallons, and if algae appears then I'm done for lol.

Btw it looks super cool!

7. Liz922New MemberMember

All aggressive fish but live extremely peaceful together. Never any drama. I don't live feed. Pellets, frozen, algae wafers, floating and sinking, and fresh veggies. Feed twice daily but not over fed. Not a lot of waste and water stays clean and clear. Also an 8 inch pleco and 4 inch corey cat. Elusive most if the time.

Liz922

Thank you happy.
    I think regular maintenance is huge and actually in the end requires less work. Had an algae problem early on when still setting others up. No direct sunlight, not over feeding, plenty of tank cleaning fish, water changes, etc. but running hot grow fluorescents long hours. I keep long working hours and was leaving lights on way too long so I could enjoy early morning and late night. Now with timers, lights are off during the day in between 4 hours on in the a.m. and 4 hours in the p.m. 7-11 and 5-9. Made one of the BIGGEST changes in my overall tank cleanliness!

Liz922

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2015
  8. Tman2902Valued MemberMember

Wow what an assortment of fish! What is the fish in the second picture? Looks really nice!
    -T

9. Liz922New MemberMember

That's my female Jack Dempsey in the 2nd pic. Bout 3 years old. Shes 7 inches to tip of tail.
    Oscar, Jack Dempsey, Leporanis, Pleco, Corey Cat, Parrot Fish, 1 orange & 1 blue Peacock Cichlid, mating pair of Red Jeweled Cichlids, Silver Dollar, 2 Roseline Sharks, and a Gold Gourami. AND the spotted Cichlid that I'm not sure what it's called. He's yellow, grey, and blue.

Liz922

10. Tman2902Valued MemberMember

Wait a second you have a mating pair of jewels and they aren't killing everything in the tank? How does that work I wanted to keep some except they seem to be crazy aggressive when they are wanting to spawn. And I have been advised that they are best suited in their own tank separate from society.
    -T

11. Liz922New MemberMember

I have a twenty gallon set up for quarantining, etc., and when I see them hiding in caves and showing signs that they are mating, I move them. 1st time I found all the fry in the big tank and she did indeed back ALL the other fish into a corner and by the time I set up other tank, they'd eaten the fry. Have had 2 successful batches in the last 6 months since.

Liz922

12. Liz922New MemberMember

Last batch of Jeweled Fry, I had 67 that I gave to my local fish store. Once they are eating and moving around the tank, mom and dad go back to the big tank.

Liz922

13. Tman2902Valued MemberMember

Ah, now I see! Funny to think the smaller jewels could push the bigger cichlids into a corner! Well congratulations on your success!
    -T

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

14. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

What's the large black fish with the red dots/patterns? It looks so cool, I can't stop oogling over your tank lol

15. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

You mean the big one? That's a tiger oscar.
    Nice tank!

16. Liz922New MemberMember

Yeah that's my tiger oscar. Have had him and the jack dempsey for years. They are buddies for sure. Always rubbing on one another etc.

Liz922

17. Liz922New MemberMember

Is there a way to upload videos on this sight as well?

Liz922

18. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Yes, upload your video to Youtube and then copy and paste the link here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice