New 20 Long From Current Dpg

Skye_marilyn
I’ve just bought a 20 gallon long aquarium from the Dollar Per Gallon sale that is happening right now. I plan on doing some plants and driftwood. I don’t have a preference towards filters bc I think it really depends upon the inhabitants but I know that I want a sponge filter along with any filtration I choose. I need some stocking advice, I don’t want anything that is super aggressive or will bite me, I also don’t want any fish that are super hard to care for bc this will be my first community after a long history of bettas. I am going to cycle and know all about that, I plan on having medium light, and no CO2. I only have one condition, I have three mystery snails that were part of a betta set up but got bullied, they are currently in a breeder box but I definitely want them in this community so nothing that will hurt them, they are my babies. I want something colorful and beautiful to look at. I really love killI fish but I haven’t been able to find information on them, any extra info about them is appreciated. I’d prefer to keep all females of any livebearers to prevent over population.
Thanks in advance!

Lunnietic
Who is having the dollar per gallon sale?

Corydoras or KuhlI Loachs might be great for the bottom of the tank.

Ive never had Killifish but I have been told they stay true to their names. Killy-fish. The largest one often kills off the others. At least every instance I have heard of this happens? Not experience with them, but after research that is what turned me away from them. That, and the ones I found where 30$+ for a pair.

20 gallon longs are a really great tank with lots of space for various stock. Youve come to the right place.

goldface
Big swordtails are beautiful. Or Candy Cane Tetras. I been wanting to setup a tank for the latter for a while now.

Skye_marilyn
Who is having the dollar per gallon sale?

Corydoras or KuhlI Loachs might be great for the bottom of the tank.

Ive never had Killifish but I have been told they stay true to their names. Killy-fish. The largest one often kills off the others. At least every instance I have heard of this happens? Not experience with them, but after research that is what turned me away from them. That, and the ones I found where 30$+ for a pair.

20 gallon longs are a really great tank with lots of space for various stock. Youve come to the right place.
Petco has the DPG sale right now, dollar per gallon on 10, 20, 29 and 50% off 40, 55, and 75. I think it goes for a few more days. If you want a tank I’d go for it, they don’t really advertise much for it. I’m not sure about the killifish as I don’t know if I’m committed to a tank with only one type of fish. I also don’t necessarily want them to breed so I’m keeping my options open. I love colorful fish and stocks that have top, middle, and bottom swimmers. The price doesn’t matter that much to me as I’m not in a rush and as long as I feel like it’s worth it I’ll pay.

goldface
Petco has the DPG sale right now, dollar per gallon on 10, 20, 29 and 50% off 40, 55, and 75. I think it goes for a few more days. If you want a tank I’d go for it, they don’t really advertise much for it. I’m not sure about the killifish as I don’t know if I’m committed to a tank with only one type of fish. I also don’t necessarily want them to breed so I’m keeping my options open. I love colorful fish and stocks that have top, middle, and bottom swimmers. The price doesn’t matter that much to me as I’m not in a rush and as long as I feel like it’s worth it I’ll pay.
For the height of the tank, I’m not sure that having top and middle dwellers even matters. I think it might be too short and thus, they’ll both spend time in the same space, anyway. Maybe someone has a better idea.

Lunnietic

ROADTRIP. Sorry my nearest petco is 3 hours away by car. So worth it. Looks like that runs until the 30th? (That's what GreenBays store ad says).

Skye_marilyn
Big swordtails are beautiful. Or Candy Cane Tetras. I been wanting to setup a tank for the latter for a while now.
I personally don’t care for swordtails but I do agree that candy cane tetras are pretty.

For the height of the tank, I’m not sure that having top and middle dwellers even matters. I think it might be too short and thus, they’ll both spend time in the same space, anyway. Maybe someone has a better idea.
Yes true, I’ve never had a low tank like this so you’re probably right on that one. You understand what I mean though...

ROADTRIP. Sorry my nearest petco is 3 hours away by car. So worth it. Looks like that runs until the 30th? (That's what GreenBays store ad says).
Mine says it runs until March 31st but either way it’s a good deal. If I had the space I’d grab a few more.

Lunnietic
You could do a betta sorority tank. (They can be speices only and have to be heavily planted).

Ive always loved cherry barbs but people tend to shy away from them.

Any kind of tetra for the most part could live in a school in there. Neons, Black, Red Minors, Cardinals, Ember/Fire, Emperors... Not all together of course. But you could do a school or two from there depending on what you pick.

Skye_marilyn
You could do a betta sorority tank. (They can be speices only and have to be heavily planted).

Ive always loved cherry barbs but people tend to shy away from them.

Any kind of tetra for the most part could live in a school in there. Neons, Black, Red Minors, Cardinals, Ember/Fire, Emperors... Not all together of course. But you could do a school or two from there depending on what you pick.
I don’t care much for cherry barbs and I don’t want to hassle a sorority bc I don’t really have the space for 5 more tanks if they don’t get along. I definitely want some type of colorful, dainty schooler in there. I love color so I want the stock to be very colorful.

Lunnietic
Have you looked at Enders they are a smaller speices of guppy. (Sadly they do breed like guppies too.)

Skye_marilyn
I like diamond tetras, Congo tetras, and black morpho tetras. Does anyone know anything about these species? I don’t want to even think about purchasing any fish unless I know 100% what kind of care is needed.

Have you looked at Enders they are a smaller speices of guppy. (Sadly they do breed like guppies too.)
Yeah I’m not quite ready for the whole breeding thing yet so I kind of shy away from live bearing fish that breed readily. Unless they are too amazing for me to turn down I don’t want anything that will breed without me wanting it to (except shrimp).

shutterbug13
I think diamond and congo tetras need a bigger tank, the get quite large.
If you are looking for a dainty fish, have you considered chilI rasboras or ember tetras?

misfittoy
I love my ember tetras. At first I thought that their color was dull and was lukewarm on them, but they colored up in a hierarchy which is pretty cool! I also have a single little fry in the tank with spectacular color.

goldface
I like diamond tetras, Congo tetras, and black morpho tetras. Does anyone know anything about these species? I don’t want to even think about purchasing any fish unless I know 100% what kind of care is needed.

Yeah I’m not quite ready for the whole breeding thing yet so I kind of shy away from live bearing fish that breed readily. Unless they are too amazing for me to turn down I don’t want anything that will breed without me wanting it to (except shrimp).
For endlers, you can simply do all males. They’re completely harmless towards each other, like hobbits of the fish world.

From what I’ve seen, the females aren’t like the female guppies at all. They’re dull and ugly, and noticeably larger than their male counterparts.

Skye_marilyn
I think diamond and congo tetras need a bigger tank, the get quite large.
If you are looking for a dainty fish, have you considered chilI rasboras or ember tetras?
I do like chillI rasboras and I think they may be a nice addition. The Congo or diamond tetra thing was a bit of a shot in the dark I tend to just throw ideas out there.

I really just need help with deciding on stock that’s compatible for my 20 gal long. If anyone has any 20 gallon stock ideas please let me know. I’ve heard TexasDomer knows a lot about stocking but I don’t know if nano tanks are his thing.

shutterbug13
Skye_marilyn
How about this:
3x honey gouramis
15x chilI rasboras
6-8x panda corys (or some other temp compatible cory)
Hmm..maybe but I’m not sure how I feel about honey gouramis, they aren’t very showy. I do like cories but I’d prefer Pygmy cories. I plan on having good filtration and husbandry so stocking options aren’t very limited.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Wolf010
  • Question
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views
KingJamal2
Top Bottom