New 20 Gallon Tank

1. T

Tomenstanco New Member Member

So I gave my 10 gallon to my dad and I got a new 20 gallon tank. What kind of fish can I stock after I cycle my new 20 gallon. I'm looking for a variety of different fish combinations that can live together. Hoping for fishes that stay at top, mid, and bottom of my tank. Any suggestions?

2. g

gilpi Valued Member Member

What do you like?
    Fish will be all over the place. The only ones that will stay on the bottom are cat fish.
    Here's something I saw today that impressed me, about 40-50 neon tetras in a 20 gallon long. It almost looked as if they were swimming synchronized doing laps around the tank very slowly.
    I've been into fish for decades and I'm a bit desensitized when it comes to fish and tanks, but this sight left me thinking.
    As a matter of fact I have a 20 long that I want to stock up and it will either be the neons or some of the smaller rainbows with a couple of cory cats on the bottom.

3. peregrine

peregrine Valued Member Member

WOW. that would be neat to watch.. ((I actually thought 40 neons would be overstocked in a 20 long so quick run in aqadvisor and it actually is borderline))

4. OP
    OP
    T

Tomenstanco New Member Member

Any fish would be fine actually, I also want some algae eaters and maybe some shrimps

5. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

I don't really know what you looking for so I'm just going to show you a stock I would do (maybe it will give you an idea)

1x Male Dwarf Gourami
    8-10x neon tetra
    6-7x Cory (one that is temperature compatible with gouramis)
    1x Bristle nosed pleco (if you have driftwood in your tank)
    3-5x Shrimp (Cherry, Amano, ghost, etc.)

6. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I might steal that idea

7. FallenOwl

go ahead, that's why I suggested it

8. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

There are quite a few options for you to choose from. You can do a couple of schools, you could do maybe one species, you could try a female betta sorority, a group of pea puffers, and so forth.

I personally really like the looks of cory cats for the bottom, as well as snails. Then a big school of something like celebes rainbow, or splashing tetra.

You could even go out of the fish world and so something like african dwarf frogs, or fire bellied newts (need combined land and water setup).

9. N

New Fish in Town Well Known Member Member

Get Hatchet Fish, or danios as your top swimmer, a breed of tetras for your mid swimmers, and some cories for your bottom swimmers.

10. FallenOwl

For hatchet fish you need To be sure your tank is fully covered or they will jump out

11. g

gilpi Valued Member Member

A lot has to do with your filtration and water changes. You might be more comfortable with 25-30? They are very tiny and just a few will not do any justice to how beautiful neon tetras are in a group.
    But what ever you decide, good luck to you!

12. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Tom...

You could take half of the used filter media from the 10 and put it into the filter of the 20 gallon and shorten the cycle by quite a bit. Of course you'll have to introduce fish slowly and test the tank water until you're sure the bacteria colony in the media is working. A 20 G is still small and you need small fish. You'll crowd larger fish and that will stress them. Tetras are fine as well as some male Guppies. Even some Pygmy Corydoras, six or so. I wouldn't go with larger fish, but you're the tank keeper.

Old

13. madisons obbsession

madisons obbsession Valued Member Member

Clk89, African dwarf frogs in a twenty gallon tank because they need to be able to get up for air, and that would mean only filling up a twenty gallon tank half way. Also, African dwarf frogs will die if they have land because they will dry out if they are out of water for more than five seconds. Do you want a colorful tank or a more natural tank?

14. N

New Fish in Town Well Known Member Member

Yep! I had that happen. I had a lid on the aquarium, but there was a hole near the filter and that is the only place they liked to hang out. One eventually jumped and died. I sealed up the open area and then bought another one.

15. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

When I was talking about the land and water combined I was speaking about the newts not the african dwarf frogs. I'm aware that you would need to not do the water all the way up for them. :)

16. freshwaterfanatic

freshwaterfanatic New Member Member

If you are looking for a more 'unique' idea, and your water is hard enough, try the world of 'shellies'! All you would need to do is make sure to use fine substrate, (they love to dig in the sand, awesome/funny to watch) and add more snail shells than there are fish, 'multies' are my fav, and you could add a group of 4-6 of them, and if your water parameters are correct, then you should have an established colony/family of these guys interacting with each other within weeks! Just an outside the box idea :)

They are the smallest chichlid in the world btw and they are exclusively found in lake tang, little guys with chichlid personalities:)

17. Graphix

Graphix Well Known Member Member

Second the Shellies idea. I've got them in a 29 tall and they're awesome. Not quite as colourful as other options, but definitely very interesting, more than likely you will get breeding and your colony will grow on its own.