New 20 gallon Tank!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by happygolucky, Aug 1, 2015.

1. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

So after hearing about all the aquarium sales at PetSmart and Petco, I got upset that I purchased a 10 gallon a week before the sale, and I returned this tank and purchased a 20 gallon. I actually saved over 15$ by upgrading to the 20 gallon. Now the question is, what should I do for filters? I bought everything besides that, and I want a really quiet one as this tank is in my room. Also, can I now fit a honey/neon blue gourami along with guppies/endler's? I wanted neon tetras but they seem so weak and frustrating to keep. If you have any other suggestions for what I can keep with a gourami, please say what :)

2. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Guppies or endler's and dwarf or honey gouramis would be fine together in a 20! How many guppies? Be sure to get one sex unless you're prepared for lots of fry!

3. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

It depends on how many is suggested, and is a pair(male and female) of gouramis a bad idea? I don't want mine to get lonely, but I also certainly don't want baby gouramis.

4. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

For filters, AquaClear filters are highly recommended on here, but I've never used them. My Tetra Whisper filter really was a "whisper filter", very, very quiet! I had the one for the 10g tank, so of course, you'll need bigger. I think it's best to get a 200 GPH rated filter for a 20g tank, but not with neons unless you can turn down the flow, imo.

Lots of fish can be kept with a dwarf or honey gourami! What kind of fish do you want?

5. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Honey and dwarf gouramis do very well singly. You could do multiple honey gouramis or a single dwarf gourami (most pet stores only sell male dwarf gouramis, and those would fight in your tank - honey gouramis are more peaceful).

You could do a single dwarf or honey gourami, and 6 or so guppies?

6. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

I am swaying towards guppies, would danios work? Any suggestions?

7. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Is your tank a 20 gal long or high?

8. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

high, I was swaying towards the long but realized it might actually hang off the edge of my dresser....

9. el337Fishlore LegendMember

Congrats on the new tank! :)

I would go with the Aquaclear 50 because it has customizable filter media. It may not be as quiet as the Aqueon or the Tetra but there are tricks like raising the water level, putting it on the lowest flow setting, putting vaseline, letting it build slime coat and even taping the lid down to mute the noise.

10. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

Do you know if I could get it cheaper than 37$ on Amazon? I know I sound cheap but honestly I just don't have the money to dish out on a filter that is for up to 50g. Could I get the 10-30g one and still be fine? Also, I'm a beginner, so I don't plan on really needing to customize my filtration for specific fish, so am I good with the Aqueon?

11. New Fish in TownWell Known MemberMember

Get a canister filter. I bought the top fin 20 gallon starter set from PetSmart and the HOB filter was ridiculously loud. They then sold me the Fluval 106 canister which is for tanks up to 25 gallons. It is waaaaaaaaay quieter. Plus you sit it on the floor and can lay a towel over it and surround it with pillows like I do when sleeping, or hide it in a cabinet that you sit your tank on. The HOB filters are out in the open right at ear level and sometimes sound like coffee grinders. And just because someone says a certain HOB filter is quiet doesn't mean it really is. Everyone has their own definition of "quiet" when it comes to filters in the office, or bedroom. In the end, canisters are quieter than HOB, but still make some noise.

12. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I'm like you, I don't really like hearing the constant flow of a HOB so I have canister filters on two of my tanks and a HOB in a third that I fill up pretty high to lessen the noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

13. el337Fishlore LegendMember

I understand, budget is important too. The 30 should be fine if you want to go with the HOB.

14. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

You can always go with a 30 and add a sponge filter at a later time if you feel you need more filtration.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

15. Et tuValued MemberMember

While I am a aquaclear advocate, look into the TopFin multi stage internal filter. They are pretty darn versatile for a $ 12.00 filter, and depending how you set it up can be completely silent. Find them at Petsmart.

16. TanksbyTimValued MemberMember

Congratulations on the new tank! :)

I have an AquaClear 50 on my 20 gallon high (I just recently purchased mine at Petco during their $1/gallon sale). I have used Aqueon power filters in the past and they didn't filter the water very well, and I have more recently used Tetra Whisper filters, and they were a little too loud for my taste. The AquaClear 50 is very quiet, and if you raise the water level to the outflow of the filter, it will be even quieter.

As for stocking, I would recommend guppies. You could keep a good amount of them in a 20 gallon high, just be cautious when choosing the sex of your fish because guppies are known to be prolific breeders!

Good luck with your new tank!

17. happyfins14Valued MemberMember

Yep plenty of people think Aqua Clears are the way to go you'd probably want to get the Aqua Clear 50, as that was suggested for my planned 20 gallon long. You can find it at Petco and Petsmart, and people say it's quiet, too.

18. New Fish in TownWell Known MemberMember

I couldn't have my aquarium if it wasn't for my canister. The only place I can sit mine is in my bedroom and HOB filters are just too loud. A canister is worth the extra cost.

19. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Some good advice on filtration ive seen so far. Regarding Neons and their sensitivity, the most important thing is finding good stock. Due to how tremendously common they are, they are often extremely inbred, and just genetically inferior compared to most fish. Find good stock and acclimate them slowly, and you should have no problems. Of my 16 neons I started with months ago, I still have all 16. Check out segrestfarms.com and use their store locator to find a shop near you that orders through them, thats where my stock usually comes from. My neons have all been extremely healthy, well shaped without deformity, and very colorful.

20. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

Yes that is the exact same kit I purchased (half off because tank sales), and while sitting in my room at this moment the sound of the filter is driving me insane. However, at 92$ on Amazon, I really can't buy something like that. I'm looking for something below 40$, 30$ is what I'd be happy to spend.

Jesus christ I had to turn it off, I'm going to PetSmart tomorrow to buy probably the AquaClear 50, since everyone's recommending it.

I go to PetSmart for my fish (LFS that was 5 star closed down very recently :( so sad). They carry the neons from that site. You think neons would be fine with a gourami, say the gourami and 10 neons?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice