New 20 gallon tank! Suggestions?

PurpleReign19

Hi all!

I am new here and am starting a 20 gallon tank soon. I have kept small fish such as danios before and I know about the nitrogen cycle. Any suggestions on fish or fish combinations for the tank? It gets cold where I live but I will buy a heater if necessary. Input is much appreciated!

Thanks!

redmare

A school of cory cats (I love pygmies), some cardinal tetras, and a centerpiece fish (pick your flavour) would be a fun 20g!

PurpleReign19

Hmm, what type of of centerpiece would go well with these?

PurpleReign19

How many sparkling Gouramis would you recommend? And how many cories?
A group of sparkling Gourami would look nice with some cories

Since it gets really cold where I live are there any combinations that are more cold resistant? It might be hard to get a tank temp up to 77+ degrees.

PurpleReign19

Dwarf gourami for a centerpiece
That’s sounds pretty good. Are they easier to care for then sparkling gourami?

kanzekatores

That’s sounds pretty good. Are they easier to care for then sparkling gourami?
Sparkling gouramis aren't really centerpiece but not quite schooling fish either. They're a bit small and can shoal in 3s and 4s. I would guess dwarf gouramis are hardy because they're so overbred. Other gouramis work well too. I kept a honey gourami and they are wonderful

Michelle2468135

a bunch of harlequin rasboras would be cool They are very fun to watch and they are a schooling fish. They do like it around 80 degrees so you would need a good heater.

BottomDweller

Since it gets really cold where I live are there any combinations that are more cold resistant? It might be hard to get a tank temp up to 77+ degrees.
What temperature is the tank without a heater?
Is it a 20 gallon long or tall?

In a 20 gallon tank you could do this at 67-70f
10 White cloud mountain minnows
8 Peppered cories
5 amano shrimp

PNWBettas

I really like my honey gourami. Great temperament for a community tank and a fun color (they can range from pale yellow to bright sunset colors). They are harder to find though. You could defiantly fit a few in a 20g since they only get about 2 in. But these will also need the standard 78 degrees in terms of tank temp. If kept indoors and with a good quality heater this should do doable. You can get a good 100W heater for around $15-20 online.

PurpleReign19

8 Peppered cories
5 amano shrimp
It can get down to 55 in the winter nights. The dimensions are 24 inches long, 12 inches wide, and 16 inches tall.

I really like my honey gourami. Great temperament for a community tank and a fun color (they can range from pale yellow to bright sunset colors). They are harder to find though. You could defiantly fit a few in a 20g since they only get about 2 in. But these will also need the standard 78 degrees in terms of tank temp. If kept indoors and with a good quality heater this should do doable. You can get a good 100W heater for around $15-20 online.
I do like honeys. Would they breed like that? I don’t have space for fry.

PNWBettas

Very unlikely. First of, its very hard to find females in pet stores. Since the males are much brighter in color they are more popular, hence why stores carry them. Additionally, if they do spawn, which can happen, the eggs are likely to be sucked up by the filter or eaten by them or any other carnivorous fish you have in the tank.

PurpleReign19

Very unlikely. First of, its very hard to find females in pet stores. Since the males are much brighter in color they are more popular, hence why stores carry them. Additionally, if they do spawn, which can happen, the eggs are likely to be sucked up by the filter or eaten by them or any other carnivorous fish you have in the tank.
Sounds good!

Could a single honey gourami be comfortable with 4-6 cories and some celestial pearl danios?

peddidle

8 Peppered cories
5 amano shrimp

Wouldn’t 67 be too cold for the amanos and cories?

BottomDweller

Wouldn’t 67 be too cold for the amanos and cories?
Peppered cories are a cold water cory and shouldn't be kept over 72f or so. They would be fine down to 67f. While it's harder to find temperature ranges for shrimp, I've kept amanos without a heater down to around 65f.
Very unlikely. First of, its very hard to find females in pet stores. Since the males are much brighter in color they are more popular, hence why stores carry them.
Perhaps I'm just lucky but I've seen lots of female honeys available in stores. It's dwarf gouramis where the females are difficult to get hold of. Female honey gouramis still have good colour while female dwarf gouramis are silvery grey.

Could a single honey gourami be comfortable with 4-6 cories and some celestial pearl danios?
Honey gouramis are very sociable and do best in groups of 3+. I had a pair and they were very shy but when I added 2 more they became a lot bolder. I would do 6 cories since they do best in larger groups.

peddidle

It gets cold where I live but I will buy a heater if necessary. Input is much appreciated!

How cold will the room temperature be during the coldest months? That, combined with the type of fish you want to keep will tell you whether you need a heater. Then, if you need a heater, the coldest room temp combined with the amount of degrees you need to heat the water beyond that will help you figure out the wattage. For example, our house gets set to 64-65 during winter nights. The fish I keep need about 78, so I definitely require a heater. Because I need to heat my 20g as much as 14 degrees difference, a 100w doesn’t do very well. I have an adjustable (rather than preset) 200w in my 20g so that it can handle winters but not heat excessively in summers. (I could probably use a 150w but wasn’t able to find one I liked.)

PurpleReign19

Honey gouramis are very sociable and do best in groups of 3+. I had a pair and they were very shy but when I added 2 more they became a lot bolder. I would do 6 cories since they do best in larger groups.
So maybe 4 honeys and 6 cories?

How cold will the room temperature be during the coldest months?
Down to 55 in the winter nights. It’s a cold room in my house.

!poogs!

Over planted tank. Would not use a rhizome plant in a 20g (personal pref). Lots of leafy plants like ozelot sword amazon sword and all sorts of cryptocoryne varieties, and some sagittaria. Maybe a floating strand of hornwort. some nice coloured rock and a piece of driftwood.

Group of small peaceful schooling fish for example, neons or cardinals or cherry barbs. Some male fancy guppies. School of cory cats like sterbai or julli.

A school of fish is just as attractive as a center-piece fish. Its personal pref. One token fish you look at and go oh wow or a group of colorful fish moving together and changing direction as one that are very active.

To really make an aquarium look busy consider stocking all three levels, top mid bottom.

These are just my opinions. Stay away from dwarf gouramis. Too many intestinal issues.

PurpleReign19

Group of small peaceful schooling fish
How about celestial pearl danios. I love their color. Could some of the work with some panda cories?

peddidle

Down to 55 in the winter nights. It’s a cold room in my house.
Wow! When I read that earlier in the thread, I thought it was a typo, lol. You’ll need a heater. From my experience, I wouldn’t use anything less than an adjustable 200w.

!poogs!

How about celestial pearl danios. I love their color. Could some of the work with some panda cories?

Yes for sure. Both very adaptable fish to water types. Silver fish like pearl danios don't always pop in a tank. The color silver is pretty muted. So you may want to create and environment in the tank to make a silver colored narrow fish stand out.

PurpleReign19

Silver fish like pearl danios don't always pop in a tank
Any schoolers you would recommend that would pop more?

When I read that earlier in the thread, I thought it was a typo, lol.
Yeah, I guess I’ll go for a 200 watt then!

!poogs!

Any schoolers you would recommend that would pop more?

You really should stock what you like and are comfortable with and not let others, like me, influence your choice.

Look at my first post on this link. I made a few suggestions.

PurpleReign19

You really should stock what you like and are comfortable with and not let others, like me, influence your choice.
Great idea! I will go with that. I’ll let you guys know what I decide!

thanks for all the help!

Hi!

im starting a 20 gallon community tank and am thinking of fish. I was considering 6 sparkling gourami, 6 Cory cats, and 6 small schoolers like tetras. Would this work out?
Thanks!

If you think this is overstocked I will take out the tetras. But I would like to have some small little schooling fish

BottomDweller

Is it a 20 long or tall?

It should be fine. What type of tetras and cories were you looking at? You could do 8-10 ember tetras

Hugooo

That should work. But I believe you're going to want to get a small species of cory. You could something like neon tetras, cardinal tetras, ember tetras, celestial pearl danios, chili rasboras, etc. If you go with the last three you could probably bump it up to like 8-10.

PurpleReign19

Is it a 20 long or tall?

It should be fine. What type of tetras and cories were you looking at? You could do 8-10 ember tetras
Dimensions are 24 inches long, 12 inches wide, and 16 inches tall

I was thinking embers or neons

mukg

what kind of cory and tetras?

Tetras: neons start out at 0.75in and can go up to congos at 3 inches
Corys: pygmy cories start out < 1 inch and larger corys go upto 3 inches

sparkling gourami - 6 * 1.5 = 9inches
regular corys (min 2in) * 6 = 12 inches
tetras 1.5 * 6 = 9 inches

You could do pygmy cories and smaller tetras like neon/cardinals.
Or skip tetras if planning to go for regular size cories.
Or go for smaller Celestial Pearl Danios with cories instead of tetras.

You can stock more fish if you change water more frequently or if you have a heavily planted tank that can absorb the excess bioload.

PurpleReign19

But I believe you're going to want to get a small species of cory.
Panda cories?

BottomDweller

How about
8 neons or 8-10 ember tetras
4-6 sparkling gouramis
6 panda cories

PurpleReign19

I was thinking panda cories, Cardinal tetras, and sparkling Gouramis. I will veto the tetras if it will overload the tank.

How about
8 neons or 8-10 ember tetras
4-6 sparkling gouramis
6 panda cories
That sounds great!

Broggy

Hmm, what type of of centerpiece would go well with these?
A Betta maybe? But if you really want cories, then 75 degrees might be a little cold for the betta.

PurpleReign19

Hi again guys!
First of all, thanks for all the help earlier, it was much appreciated! So I was thinking about fish that would NOT require a heater and after a little research I found that blue paradise fish can withstand cold temperatures. The room it would be in can get down to 55 degrees F in the coldest winter nights. Some websites have stated that they are fine in that temp where others say it is too cold. What do you guys think?

goldface

It's fine.

redmare

If you are looking for cold water fish, can I direct you to white cloud mountain minnows? I know they can get down to like 40 degrees or something like that and I think they are super awesome. Sorry I don't know anything about paradise fish

PurpleReign19

Could some White Cloud Mountain minnows be ok with that temp with a paradise fish?

It's fine.
So they won’t have any problems in 55 degree Fahrenheit water? Just double checking so I don’t end up with a fishy ice cube

goldface

So they won’t have any problems in 55 degree Fahrenheit water? Just double checking so I don’t end up with a fishy ice cube
You should do a quick 30 min temp acclimation by floating the bag in the aquarium, if the temperatures between the two waters are very different. Other then that, you should be fine.

PurpleReign19

Hi!
Ive been thinking about a 20 gallon tank with a single paradise fish. It will get cold in the tank (down to 55 Fahrenheit) and I would like to get tank mates for it. Would White Cloud Mountain minnows work?

thanks!

kanzekatores

Hi!
Ive been thinking about a 20 gallon tank with a single paradise fish. It will get cold in the tank (down to 55 Fahrenheit) and I would like to get tank mates for it. Would White Cloud Mountain minnows work?

thanks!
Yes! They look like they have a similar temperature range.

PurpleReign19

Yes! They look like they have a similar temperature range.
And the paradise won’t eat the minnows?

jinjerJOSH22

I can only go by what I’ve read online about them as I’ve on briefly kept a Paradise Gourami.
I’ve heard they’re pretty good at eating small fish, you could always try it but be prepared that they may end up as snacks.

PurpleReign19

I can only go by what I’ve read online about them as I’ve on briefly kept a Paradise Gourami.
I’ve heard they’re pretty good at eating small fish, you could always try it but be prepared that they may end up as snacks.
Ok, I will hope!

Donovan Jones

Get the paradise young and the minnows large, no less than 8 and all the same kind so it's harder for him to single them out. Provide plenty of sight breaks and you should be good. Maybe add some paleatus or trilineatus cories? I've had them do well at that temp.

PurpleReign19

Maybe add some paleatus or trilineatus cories? I've had them do well at that temp.
Wow! Really? I live cories but thought 55 Fahrenheit would be too cold for them!

Get the paradise young and the minnows large, no less than 8 and all the same kind so it's harder for him to single them out. Provide plenty of sight breaks and you should be good. Maybe add some paleatus or trilineatus cories? I've had them do well at that temp.
How many minnows and cories would you recommend? The tank is 20 gallons and I am planning on 1 male paradise fish.

Hi fellow fishkeepers!

I am thinking about starting a cold water 20 gallon tank. The temp can get down to 55 in the coldest winter nights and up to about 70ish at the absolute hottest. I was thinking about a male paradise fish, 6-8 White Cloud Mountain minnows, and 6 peppered Cory catfish. Would this work?

thanks!

HHHHMMMMMMMMMM

Absolutely not. The white clouds would be fine, the others won't.

goldface

Paradise fish and White Clouds would be fine at those temps. I would not try that with corys, as they are tropical fish.

Donovan Jones

Long or high?
I'd do 6 cories either way and then 8 minnows in a high 12 in a long. Be prepared to rehome the paradise fish or have a backup tank though.

flyinGourami

Hi fellow fishkeepers!

I am thinking about starting a cold water 20 gallon tank. The temp can get down to 55 in the coldest winter nights and up to about 70ish at the absolute hottest. I was thinking about a male paradise fish, 6-8 White Cloud Mountain minnows, and 6 peppered Cory catfish. Would this work?

thanks!
It would probably be okay(I've heard paradise fish can be a bit aggressive sometimes though). 55 is a bit chilly for the corys, even for peppered corys. I would personally get 10 white clouds but I believe 6-8 white clouds with a paradise could work.

PurpleReign19

Absolutely not. The white clouds would be fine, the others won't.
Wouldn’t paradise fish be good in this temp too?

Paradise fish and White Clouds would be fine at those temps. I would not try that with corys, as they are tropical fish.
Ok, thanks

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Anders247
  • Question
Replies
Views
goldface
Replies
Views
Mii