New 20 Gallon tank soon!

TylerLovesFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I really didn't know how to delete the last thread I made about this (because all anyone answered was about the 3 Gallon). I have this question:

I plan on getting a 20 Gallon tank in 2 weeks. Any stocking ideas? If these fish survive this 3 Gallon tank, I hope to already have 2 guppies, 2 white clouds, a ghost shrimp, and a mystery snail. I will move them immediately since the cycle of the new tank will be better than the 3 gallon they are in. Here it is:

It is $85 at the local store. It has a heater, net, filter, lighting, thermometer, and also comes with conditioner and food.

I will also have a stand for it.

I wanted to have a "forest lake/river" theme to it. I was wondering what you guys suggested for beginners to have for that theme, such as plants and fish.

Thanks All! I will ask about the 3 Gallon ideas when the fish are moved to the 20 gallon.

WadeEH

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the white clouds survive, you should get at least 4 more of those to complete the school.

Ryank

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
White clouds thrive in low temperatures 18–26 °C (64–79 °F) so im not sure how they will do in a heated tank. Good luck with the tank and cycle though

TylerLovesFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
White clouds thrive in low temperatures 18–26 °C (64–79 °F) so im not sure how they will do in a heated tank. Good luck with the tank and cycle though
Would it be wise to put the fish immediately in the tank and cycle the tank with fish? Especially since they had been in a 3 gallon, and should I add fish (for the school) or wait for the cycle?

WadeEH

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't add any new fish until the tank was cycled. I'm not sure what would be best for the existing fish. If you do cycle with the fish in the tank make sure to keep up with daily water changes with Prime. Also if you have a filter on the three gallon add it onto the new tank to help start the cycle.

TylerLovesFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I wouldn't add any new fish until the tank was cycled. I'm not sure what would be best for the existing fish. If you do cycle with the fish in the tank make sure to keep up with daily water changes with Prime. Also if you have a filter on the three gallon add it onto the new tank to help start the cycle.
With the filter of the 20 gallon?

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since the bacteria that cycles a tank actually lives primarily in the filter media, you could put the filter from the existing 3 gallon tank on the new 20 gallon along with the filter for the 20 gallon tank. But I have a feeling it will not help too much.

I think that since your 3 gallon is overstocked, you would be better off putting the fish in the 20 gallon tank right away. But of course a fish in cycle can be hard on the fish (unless you are diligent about the daily partial water changes with Prime). So in my opinion, you would be much better off cycling the 20 gallon tank with SafeStart.

If you choose to use SafeStart, heres what you'll want to do:
1) Set up (i.e.decorate etc) and fill the 20 gallon with dechlorinated water.
2) Let the tank run for at least 24 hours. (Also make sure you have the water temperature stable)
3) Add an entire, well shaken, appropriatly sized bottle of SafeStart
4) Immeadiatly after adding the Safestart put the fish from the 3 gallon into the 20 gallon
5) Do nothing but feed your fish for the next 14 days (No water changes, no adding any chemicals, don't even test the water since results can scare you into doing something that will cause the SafeStart to fail)
6) On day 14 test your water and if all worked properly...you're cycled!

Good luck!

TylerLovesFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Since the bacteria that cycles a tank actually lives primarily in the filter media, you could put the filter from the existing 3 gallon tank on the new 20 gallon along with the filter for the 20 gallon tank. But I have a feeling it will not help too much.

I think that since your 3 gallon is overstocked, you would be better off putting the fish in the 20 gallon tank right away. But of course a fish in cycle can be hard on the fish (unless you are diligent about the daily partial water changes with Prime). So in my opinion, you would be much better off cycling the 20 gallon tank with SafeStart.

If you choose to use SafeStart, heres what you'll want to do:
1) Set up (i.e.decorate etc) and fill the 20 gallon with dechlorinated water.
2) Let the tank run for at least 24 hours. (Also make sure you have the water temperature stable)
3) Add an entire, well shaken, appropriatly sized bottle of SafeStart
4) Immeadiatly after adding the Safestart put the fish from the 3 gallon into the 20 gallon
5) Do nothing but feed your fish for the next 14 days (No water changes, no adding any chemicals, don't even test the water since results can scare you into doing something that will cause the SafeStart to fail)
6) On day 14 test your water and if all worked properly...you're cycled!

Good luck!
How much is safe start usually? Also, what plants should I start with? (And if I do get plants, can I put them in with the safe start?) remember I want more of a forest theme... And thank you for the great advice!

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All my plants are plastic, so I can't give any advice on which ones to purchase, but I can tell you they will be fine with SafeStart so no worries there.

As far as the price...I think a bottle that will treat 20 gallons would be about $15. (And when compared to six or more weeks of daily 50% water changes with Prime, it's a bargin!)

TylerLovesFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks. Any ideas on stocking once the tank is cycled? (Again, with the forest theme in mind)

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry, I'm not big on suggesting stocking. But if you have ideas on what you want I could give some guidance on compatabilty and whether you'd be overstocked.

TylerLovesFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I was thinking one of these for stocking:

2 Male Guppies
5 White Clouds
5 Ghost Shrimp
Mystery Snail
5 Blue or Black Paradises
5 Scissortail rasporas
2 Corys

Or

2 Male Guppies
5 White Clouds
5 Dwarf Neon Rainbows
3 Gouramis
Mystery snail
1 Ghost Shrimp
5 Endlers
2 cory

OR

2 Guppies
5 White Clouds
5 Red Paradise
3 Gouramis
2 Cory
Mystery Snail
5 Ghost Shrimp

This is for my "Forest Theme". Any ideas?

I can't budge on 5 White clouds (if the 2 now survive, they need a school), the 2 guppies (if they survive), 1 ghost shrimp (if he survives) and the mystery snail. I'd rather keep the 2 corys on any list.

(I want darker fish, more for a "lake/river" feeling, and preferably beginners fish)

AlanGreene

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
corries lke to be in schools or at least 6, would you consider a single dwarf pleco in exchange? I think it might work better

TylerLovesFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
corries lke to be in schools or at least 6, would you consider a single dwarf pleco in exchange? I think it might work better
The LFS has no dwarf plecos, and won't for a few months. They have albino plecos, and normal plecos (that never stop growing)

QQQUUUUAADDD

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
All of that for just a 20? No way.

Multiple paradises in a tank that small is just begging for trouble. You'd need a pretty large tank to comfortably house multiple paradises. Cories appreciate schools of at least 6.

I think something like this would be nice:
2 Guppies
5 White clouds
3 Honey gouramis (trio, though it may be hard to find females)
6 small cories (juliis, false juliis, pandas, pymgies)
inverts

It's pushing it a bit but it's still doable. Keep up on water changes and have good filtration and you'll be good.

klogue2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What kind of 20 is it, high or long?

IMO those are all overstocked options, and not compatible really:

- paradise fish I've been told are aggressive and do not do well with community tanks. I'll let someone else comment more on them though, as I've only read bout them never owned them.
- cories need at least 5 in a school, and a good footprint to swim on being they're bottom dwellers. If it's a 20 long, you might be able to get away with 5 cories, preferably smaller ones like pygmy or (I think) panda.
- what kind of gouramis are you talking about? many of them get too big for a 20 of any kind, and most are territorial and can only have one per tank. dwarf gouramis (single one) would be an option.
- also, I believe personally no pleco even a BN or clown would be small enough for a 20 of any kind. Just my opinion though

I'd suggest something like this:
3-4 guppies
ghost shrimp (these may get eaten btw)
1-2 mystery snail (they are messy so only one or two)
1 dwarf gourami
5 white clouds

It really depends on if this tank is tall or long, as long = more footprint and you may be able to add cories. Also if you're willing to do any other kinds of fish

AlanGreene

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think you could have pygmy corries in a 20g as they are smaller than other corries, I am no expert on this and would wait for another reply but you do need to have corries in at least a school of 6 and with all the other fish mentioned this sounds over stocked to me. Wait for other responses though, best of luck with the tank

TylerLovesFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It will be 20 high. I actually do not want any more guppies, and the person at the LFS said paradises are community. I would be getting red or blue paradises if thats a good list.

klogue2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've actually never heard of those until now, those might be an option for a longer tank I'd think. Most plecos are high in bioload from what I've learned, so size is not the only factor to choosing them

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom