New 20 Gallon Planted Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Raooool, Apr 22, 2019.

1. RaoooolNew MemberMember

I've recently started cycling my first ever fish tank, it's 20 gallons with a few amazon swords and two other plants that I don't actually know. Originally I was considering stocking it with 1 or 2 Dwarf Gouramis, some Mollys, and a few nerite snails. After reading a couple threads I haven't really seen any mention of Mollys in smaller tanks. Does that seem practical or is there a better way to go in terms of smaller fish?

2. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to fishlore! I’m not a fan of either of those fish. Mollies are livebearers so if you get a pair you could end up with more than you want. You could get some Cory’s and tetras and maybe a pair of gold rams. Cory’s will stay on the bottom tetras are mid to top dwellers (get 6 of each)and the rams would be the centerpiece fish. They will swim all over the tank. A cave and some plants would make it nice.
    How are you cycling and do you have a test kit?

3. RaoooolNew MemberMember

That’s an understandable blunder when it comes to Mollys, i think I’ll stay away from those, but how do Gouramis normally do? I just think they’re gorgeous fish.
    As for cycling, I added some water conditioner (I’m not too sure of that really does anything to start a cycle) and added a small amount of fish food so that it could provide something for the beneficial bacteria to grow off of.
    I’ll also include an image of the tank as it is right now!

Attached Files:

4. RaoooolNew MemberMember

Sorry I meant to reply to this post with that other post I made, but I also forgot to mention that I do have a testing kit. I am only 4 days into the cycling so right now I’m just seeing some levels of ammonia but I can’t remember where everything else was but I just know that it’ll still be some time until I can add fish.

5. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Nice looking tank. Sorry I’m just not a fan of gouramis. The plant on the left with the sword plants is a crypt wendit. Great plant. It and the swords should get a root tab under there roots. Add two to the right and left groups of plants.

6. RaoooolNew MemberMember

Thanks for the tip on root tabs I didn’t know those existed. I’ll see if I can find some next time I go supply shopping.

7. ElkwatcherValued MemberMember

Remember Rams like a well established tank with very pristine water perimeters and lots of plants should you get some. The yellows are very nice!
    Honey or Sunset Gourami's are nice centrepiece as well, and gentle.   Good luck with what ever you choose. :)

8. GiulWell Known MemberMember

If you like Gouramis then I also the honey gourami as they’re smaller and friendlier than other dwarf Gouramis. I have a duo myself and I really enjoy them.

If you like the look of the molly then I would reccomend a platy since they’re smaller than mollies. However, as stated, both will breed like rabbits. If you learn to sex them you can do all females, however they can store sperm from previous encounters so they still may give birth in your tank. I also don’t reccomend having only males since they may fight. Hence the dilemma with having any livebearer (mollies, platties, guppies). If you’re willing to take the risk I would just go with females and if they have any fry I would donate them to your LFS (I know Petco takes them).

However if you’d like the avoid the trouble danios, tetras, or rasboras would be great schooling fish options that’re less likely to breed. Most of these would get along with gouramis or rams

9. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

I use the api tabs and much cheaper the osmacoat sold on eBay. Both work well.

10. imbaWell Known MemberMember

I have a single honey gourami in my 20g together with some galaxy rasboras and corydoras habrosus.

He is nice, active and peacefulHighly recommend honeys!