New 20 gallon long. Stocking ideas?

StaceyMae

Reaction score
HI everyone,

I have a planted 20 gallon high housing 4 red cherry shrimp and 2 kuhlI loaches. I'm changing to a 20 long though because I like the aesthetic more. I would like some recommendations on fish. My RCS have gotten along well with my kuhlI loaches and all of those did well with my betta before I moved him too. I've always had bettas, so I wanted to try something different. I like tropical fish the most, but I am a fan of the striking ones; rasboras and guppies are not my favorite fish. I'd like a small cichlid tank or something similar if not a betta, but I know many of those are not fit for a 20 long. If anyone has any ideas for fish that would get along with my RCS and kuhli? I like the look of cockatoo dwarf cichlids and bolivian rams, though I believe both species require at least a 30.. could one of each do well in a 20 long? Or do you have any other recommendations that are similar if you think cichlids won't work?

RWStaub

Reaction score
I personally think a pair of apistos would work well in a 20 long. Bolivians get a tad bigger so I'll defer on those to someone else. I have not tried apistos with shrimp but I think adults would be fine.

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would stick to one species of cichlid. I prefer Bolivians myself, you could do a pair of them. Then I would get 4 more kuhlis and maybe some type of tetra/rasbora.

Edit* very likely cichlids will eat your shrimp.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
StaceyMae said:
HI everyone,

I have a planted 20 gallon high housing 4 red cherry shrimp and 2 kuhlI loaches. I'm changing to a 20 long though because I like the aesthetic more. I would like some recommendations on fish. My RCS have gotten along well with my kuhlI loaches and all of those did well with my betta before I moved him too. I've always had bettas, so I wanted to try something different. I like tropical fish the most, but I am a fan of the striking ones; rasboras and guppies are not my favorite fish. I'd like a small cichlid tank or something similar if not a betta, but I know many of those are not fit for a 20 long. If anyone has any ideas for fish that would get along with my RCS and kuhli? I like the look of cockatoo dwarf cichlids and bolivian rams, though I believe both species require at least a 30.. could one of each do well in a 20 long? Or do you have any other recommendations that are similar if you think cichlids won't work?
A pair of kribensis cichlids should work, they may eat the shrimp tho so if you are attached to the shrimp then I wouldn’t go for any cichlids Unless you have A LOT of hiding places

OP
S

StaceyMae

Reaction score
RWStaub said:
I personally think a pair of apistos would work well in a 20 long. Bolivians get a tad bigger so I'll defer on those to someone else. I have not tried apistos with shrimp but I think adults would be fine.
Do you know if they would have to be a breeding pair or would same sex pairs be acceptable? They're so beautiful! But I'm not as familiar with cichlids. I plan to research once I've got a species picked. Any info on this fish is much appreciated. Thanks

RWStaub

Reaction score
StaceyMae said:
Do you know if they would have to be a breeding pair or would same sex pairs be acceptable? They're so beautiful! But I'm not as familiar with cichlids. I plan to research once I've got a species picked. Any info on this fish is much appreciated. Thanks
I think it's safer with a male female pair. Two males can work if there is plenty of cover to give them their own territories, which is def easier in a bigger tank. Inevitably, one will be dominant and pick/chase the other though.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would go with appistos rather then Kribensis.
You should add 5 to 10 more kuhlI loaches, they do best in large groups
Your shrimp ar very likly to be eaten by any fish that you add, you might want to keep them in a separate tank.

OP
S

StaceyMae

Reaction score
Noroomforshoe said:
I would go with appistos rather then Kribensis.
You should add 5 to 10 more kuhlI loaches, they do best in large groups
Your shrimp ar very likly to be eaten by any fish that you add, you might want to keep them in a separate tank.
What is your opinion about a bolivian?

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
StaceyMae said:
What is your opinion about a Bolivian?
A ram could work I think, I don't remember which one is which when it comes to rams though. And I just read a horrible story about one of them were chemicals are added to enhance there color and it likely won't last.
So, My suggestion - get 3 American flag killI fish, 1 male, 2 females, they look as beautiful as rams, especially the males, especially with a good variety of foods, but they are not as aggressive, especially if you keep them fed. and 5 more kuhlI loaches.

OP
S

StaceyMae

Reaction score
imba said:
Just a different suggestion,

5 honey gouramis
8 kuhlI loaches
15 red cherry shrimp
I really like the sound of that set up!! If I did the honey gouramis I would likely stick to 4 and add lemon tetra. Maybe 5 or 6. Do you think that would be too much? I may put my RCS and/or kuhlis in a separate tank if needed, because that would be an interesting setup IF it could work.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With schooling/shoaling fish, like tetras and cories and loachesyou can not go less then 6.
I would not put more then one school or shoal of fish in a 20 gallon.

Hony gouramI are best kept singly, or in a male and female pair, or in a group of 5 or more. if you did 4 it could lead to aggression. I personally do not love the plan to add 5 honey gourami, as it is just to easy to end up losing one. and then you have the wrong number again. maybey in a 48 inch long tank with more room for them to avoid each other. "OPINIONS ANYONE?"

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Noroomforshoe said:
With schooling/shoaling fish, like tetras and cories and loachesyou can not go less then 6.
I would not put more then one school or shoal of fish in a 20 gallon.

Hony gouramI are best kept singly, or in a male and female pair, or in a group of 5 or more. if you did 4 it could lead to aggression. I personally do not love the plan to add 5 honey gourami, as it is just to easy to end up losing one. and then you have the wrong number again. maybey in a 48 inch long tank with more room for them to avoid each other. "OPINIONS ANYONE?"
With Honey's 2+ with more being better but whether it's 3-4 I don't think it would matter they seem to be genuinely peaceful, Honey GouramI "fights" are like 2 people complementing each other until 1 walks away :D gender isn't even "important" with Honey's.

I agree with you to a point about more than 1 school in a 20 however most Loaches or Catfish that would suit a 20 long are "bottom" dwelling fish, so they occupy different sections of the tank for the most part.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jinjerJOSH22 said:
With Honey's 2+ with more being better but whether it's 3-4 I don't think it would matter they seem to be genuinely peaceful, Honey GouramI "fights" are like 2 people complementing each other until 1 walks away :D gender isn't even "important" with Honey's.

I agree with you to a point about more than 1 school in a 20 however most Loaches or Catfish that would suit a 20 long are "bottom" dwelling fish, so they occupy different sections of the tank for the most part.
in my opinion, 2 schools would overstock a 20 gallon unless maybe they were tiny nana fish. I would do a larger then minI'm top or bottom school, and a single orsmall group of non schoolers, "honey g, killis, platties..."

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Noroomforshoe said:
in my opinion, 2 schools would overstock a 20 gallon unless maybe they were tiny nana fish. I would do a larger then minI'm top or bottom school, and a single orsmall group of non schoolers, "honey g, killis, platties..."
I disagree, a 20 long has the same footprint as a 29? The only difference is height. 30/12 is plenty of space or 7-9 Lemmon Tetra, 6-9 KuhlI Loaches and 2-4 Honey GouramI imo.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jinjerJOSH22 said:
I disagree, a 20 long has the same footprint as a 29? The only difference is height. 30/12 is plenty of space or 7-9 Lemmon Tetra, 6-9 KuhlI Loaches and 2-4 Honey GouramI imo.
Ok, Last time I set up my 20 long, it was for a hospital tank, but I questioned the possible stocking potential. I guess I could see it. though I would stick to only one gourami.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Noroomforshoe said:
Ok, Last time I set up my 20 long, it was for a hospital tank, but I questioned the possible stocking potential. I guess I could see it. though I would stick to only one gourami.
If it's Honey i'd do a small group because of how social they are.
I do think however think simple is usually better and keeping a single school would be more aesthetically pleasing.

New Threads