New 20 Gallon Long Build

1. Gamer Well Known Member Member

I have felt overwhelmed in this hobby feeling like I have so much to build and rebuild, but I'm thinking I've had mixed success with planted tanks so maybe I ought to start out with this one since it'll be planted and this is where I want personal improvement most.

20L: 30x12x12
    Filter: Marineland c-160 Canister
    Light: Coralife 1x65w CF Fixture
    CO2: DIY (later shall upgrade to the Fluval 88 Kit or a fully pressurised system)
    Substrate: Eco-Complete

Plants: I tend to change my mind alot before I start planting, so this time I'll just list them as I add them. With my light and this time CO2 I should have many options.

Fish Stock: See "Plants". I tend to plan one stocklist then go with another. So I'll list the species as they go in, along with pics.

3/22/12: added 3 Cherry Barbs

[​IMG]

3/22/12: and later that same day...

[​IMG]

3/30/12: Just planted

[​IMG]

2. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Sounds great, I'll be following! Ask as many Qs as you need as you go along! I'm just getting started into plants myself, and I know its sometimes overwhelming (I currently have 3 tanks I am working on, and its taking me forever!). :)

3. Gamer Well Known Member Member

Well if there's a question or concern I have I guess I'm wondering if regular gravel will be fine as long as I use root tabs which I will as well as EI dosing method. Yeah I wanted Eco-Complete but ended up using some black gravel I had left in my garage. I've done some searches and the responses I've read have managed to put my mind at ease thank God lol. The consensus seems to be gravel is fine just use root tabs. Who knows maybe I'll still mix in some Eco-Complete and do 50/50 gravel/Eco. But I think I'll be fine with this. Tank has a Penguin 200 on it now, no heater, have yet to order any plants. Luckily I have much equipment from my old 29 that was used for this. The 29 will house gerbils for my kids from now on. lol.

Good luck on all your projects, I need to go and check some of yours out shortly. Maybe learn a thing or two a long the way!

4. Gamer Well Known Member Member

Not even a background yet.

[​IMG]

I am deciding what plants I want now and am almost finished. Also I have an idea for fish. I'm thinking maybe a glofish species tank. I'm thinking perhaps 16 glofish and 4 otto's. I hope, I hope!

5. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

you don't need a special plant substrate.....root tabs are good to use even if you do get a plant substrate, like eco complete. so what kind of cool fishies are you gonna have? :D

6. Gamer Well Known Member Member

Very true. I think I wanted Eco-Complete just to give me peace of mind.

The more I think about it the more I want to go the glofish species tank route. I know they're GM. But their eggs are injected not the fish themselves and it's really not their fault so I may give 16 of em a good planted home. :)

The following stocks are my main options:

1. 16 glofish, 4 otocinclus

2. 6 tiger barbs, 6 cherry barbs, bn pleco

3. 1 dwarf gourami or 1 honey sunset gourami, 6 glofish, 3 fancy guppy males, something for algae :D

7. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

hmmm. i like bits and pieces of each stock list. glofish are cool...not sure if i'd have them...but they are kind of pretty :) so they are a nice idea...and i like cherry barbs, and honey gouramis. not sure if i'd put a DG with a honey though. that could spell trouble. you could get multiple honeys though. guppes are...eh. haha. just my weird opinions.

8. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Thanks Gamer! I really like your DW piece. :) As Jeri said, gravel is fine with the addition of root tabs :)

As for stocking, I would not do the tiger barbs. I think they should have a bigger tank.

I like the #3 option, except I would do a Honey instead of the DG, because honeys are so sweet and won't attach the other fish.
    So you could do
    1x honey gourami
    6x glofish
    3x guppies
    4x ottos (for the algae) :)

If you wanted the BN pleco (which are cute, but I rarely see my little bugger), I would swap out the ottos. The BN won't be that effective at eating algae, especially as they age. Mine has given up. He expects his wafer nightly. And I don't argue. I know my place. lol :D

9. Gamer Well Known Member Member

Oh guppies are alright, I have a soft spot for colorful fish and many of the males are VERY vibrant and beautiful in their colors.

I do like the stock suggestion alot MD. Not bad at all! I might just go with that. Wonder if I an swap out the 3 guppies for 1-2 more honey gouramis. If so then consider me sold on that stock list!

I have a few cherry barbs I may rehome here, too. Along with, and you should like this....a chestnut mystery snail! I have that one and one gold mystery snail in another tank now and I'm thinking of moving one of both to this one. At least until I notice them munching on my plants.

Oh and thanks on the driftwood. It's actually 2 seperate pieces which I've now repositioned. Both are so uniquely shaped and can be placed in many different cool positions. I'm tieing anubias to both.

10. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Great! You can certainly swap out the guppies for more honeys. Honeys are peaceful and sweet so they will be fine together. :)
    They also like floating plants or (as by betta girl found out, floating bettas logs lol). Actually, my snails seemed to like the logs too! lol
    Your snails should be fine with the plants. Mine don't touch them (except the cana species). Just make sure that your ph doesn't go too low for the snails with the DW in there. It will erode theirs shells otherwise.
    Chestnuts are very pretty. You should put up some pics! :D

11. Gamer Well Known Member Member

Hey, that's good to know on the honey gouramis. I don't think I've ever seen them at any of the petstores/fishstores I have near me but I will ask some of them if they can special order em for me.

I still haven't decided 100% on the glofish, I am thinking of cardinals or rummies now. I figure with the glofish being so active and gouramis (I think) being slow sedate fish I don't want them stressed by the danios/glofish.

I'll be sure to attempt some good shots of my snail/s next time I take pics of my 20 for this log. I'm doing a solid order tomorrow: 65w bulb, Seachem root tabs, Excel and some plants. The first wave of plants will be for the driftwood. The next batch (some of which I know I can get at my local petstores) will actually go into the substrate.

Anubias Coffeefolia x2 (on medium DW)
    Anubias Broad Leaf x2 (on large DW)
    Amazon Sword x1
    Crypt Wendtii Reds x2
    Water Onions x2
    Tiger Lotus x1
    Banana Plants x4
    Java Fern (on small DW piece) x4
    Micro Sword or Dwarf Sags or Chain Sword x10+

I've been decided on that plant list for over a week which is a long time for me lol so I figure I'll stick with it. I just didn't want to list them then change my mind later but I won't this time.

12. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

plant listlooks good. if you can find bronze wendtii, get it...it is an awesome color. I'd probably not do rummies in a 20. but cards should be ok.

-j

13. Gamer Well Known Member Member

Well I'm glad I didn't add them already then. I've just added the few cherries I have left, just to get some activity/feeding going after keeping an eye on the water parameters this week which have been good. I seeded this by adding a established cartridge and bacteria from another Bio-Wheel I have had running on another tank.

Planting officially begins next week! I will order 1 red wendtii and a bronze and Jeri I have your word this plant will look good so it better! :D I will hold you to this now.

Meantime here's what it looks like with the DW. I'm using a standard 20w light as I need a new bulb for my Coralife which is coming next week too.

[​IMG]

And one more shot of the beautiful DW, sorry but I just love these pieces and the anubias and ferns will look so good on em!

[​IMG]

14. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

oh it will =] i promise. can i ask a dumb question... why do people (you) :p put your heater diagonally on the back wall? you'd see it less if it were vertical, on a side wall. :-*

15. Gamer Well Known Member Member

Well it's an eye sore but only a temporary one. I think if I leave it there then it'll be hidden once I've finished planting it with the onions or amazon sword. If not then I shall give in and try it your way lol or place it vertically behind the DW. Either way it's definately going to be covered by the time this tank is done.

16. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Gotta say, the way you laid out the DW looks great! You're going to have a beautiful tank!
    Now, I have never kept cardinals or rummies, but I love both and had a hard time deciding which group would go in my tank. It's a hard call, but since Jeri has had both I'd follow her advice. ;)
    Can't wait to see the pics! :)

17. Gamer Well Known Member Member

Thanks, and here's hoping it looks as awesome as I envision it being when it's done.

I made a plant order, they were out of alot of what I wanted like the banana plants and onions. No sweat, I got some good plants though and am anxious to recieve them. I made sure to get the bronze wendtii. They'll be here next week, because they don't ship weekends. Something tells me this is going to be a LONG weekend waiting for them to arrive. :(

So I got one final shot. Added a blue background (it may look black, but it is dark blue), and where's my heater? It's in there but you don't see it anymore! Surprise, I moved it entirely behind the large DW piece. :D

[​IMG]

18. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

i love the bronze wendtii. it looks really good among all the green plants...gives the tank some added interest. if you can ever find ozelot sword, get that. it's marbled..and very attractive.

where's the heater! hahaha. looks better imo...whatever that's worth ;)

19. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Looks great! Just watch your ph with that DW for the snails sake:)

20. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

yeah....i had a lot of dw....and my snails paid the price

-j